Hawaiian stuck in LAS

Interesting article, and I imagine it’s at least generally accurate. My question would be, is there not another aircraft to be able to send to LAS to cover the trip, rather than delaying pax for 72 or more hours who choose to stay with the flight?

Rolling delays are often an issue. It looks like it will be fixed in just a few hours so there is no need to send another plane, and then suddenly it's not ready... but it will only be another 2 hours. And then 10 hours for crew rest. And then 2 hours for mx. And suddenly it's 2 days.

Also, there generally aren't spares available right now. A few 321s are still waiting on engines, plus the one that got attacked by the jetway in SFO is still down. So I think whatever spare 330s there might be (and with a fleet of only 24 there normally aren't many) are already committed.

Rolling delays are often an issue. It looks like it will be fixed in just a few hours so there is no need to send another plane, and then suddenly it's not ready... but it will only be another 2 hours. And then 10 hours for crew rest. And then 2 hours for mx. And suddenly it's 2 days.

Also, there generally aren't spares available right now. A few 321s are still waiting on engines, plus the one that got attacked by the jetway in SFO is still down. So I think whatever spare 330s there might be (and with a fleet of only 24 there normally aren't many) are already committed.

Thats interesting info, especially with the spares situation. I figured there was a “rest of the story” that the media likely wasn’t necessarily privy to. These things happen.

Thats interesting info, especially with the spares situation. I figured there was a “rest of the story” that the media likely wasn’t necessarily privy to. These things happen.

Lack of spares is pretty common, as the bean counters like an operation to run really lean.

In this case, being an outstation would present another challenge to have a crew in position and rested to comply with 117 for when the aircraft is returned from service. No different than last week's JAL event in DFW, one piece of the required crew/ equipment wasn't airworthy and there isn't another replacement readily nearby.

Lack of spares is pretty common, as the bean counters like an operation to run really lean.

In this case, being an outstation would present another challenge to have a crew in position and rested to comply with 117 for when the aircraft is returned from service. No different than last week's JAL event in DFW, one piece of the required crew/ equipment wasn't airworthy and there isn't another replacement readily nearby.
I have been really surprised at my airline at how seldom we keep the same airplane or flight attendants for 2 legs. Everything is optimized to get the most efficient use out of all the equipment and staff.

I performed a flight that was literally 48 hours delayed. Primarily because if they had cancelled the flight it would have broken a “100% completion week”. They had reaccomodated the passengers on other flights, but since they kept the same flight number, it just showed as a delay and not a cancellation.

Some mid-level manager got his bonus, or something.

I used to work with a bunch of Hawaiians (not the airline, people that grew were born and grew up there that had left Hawaii and settled in SoCal for "reasons"). For some reason the residents of those islands have an affinity for Vegas, and to a lesser extent any other city where gambling is legal. The flight from Honolulu to Vegas has to be their bread and butter, some haole is going to his/her ass kicked on a random beach soon because a locals auntie/uncle is stuck in the desert.

I performed a flight that was literally 48 hours delayed. Primarily because if they had cancelled the flight it would have broken a “100% completion week”. They had reaccomodated the passengers on other flights, but since they kept the same flight number, it just showed as a delay and not a cancellation.

A plane at an outstation still has to get back to a hub to get back to a line of flying. Sometimes the same is true of a plane at a hub. Some corporate travel departments use completion factor in their determination for who gets their business.

If a plane needs to be somewhere and the airline is able to do it using the original flight, why not use that number if its going to help the business? A positioning ferry flight does not help with any metrics.

Many of these flights delayed several days end up with lots of empty seats that non revs and commuters can take. Positioning ferry flights usually operate under Part 91 and depending on the airline policy might not allow non revs in the cabin or restrict which non revs can be allowed to board.

The should just buy the passengers a ticket on another airline. A wait that long isn't acceptable.

The should just buy the passengers a ticket on another airline. A wait that long isn't acceptable.

I'd guess they did. Although nobody else fly the route so it wouldn't be direct. There were also 4 other flights that departed during that time period that they crammed a bunch of passengers on. I think there were only a few of the original passengers that actually got stuck for the whole time.

Mmmmmm celery, the perfect food for when you feel like biting in to hair with water in it!

I can’t remember where I heard that one, but it’s true.
I like raw celery, it just needs to be filled with peanut butter. It's more of an edible utensil as opposed to actual food.

Qantas one time painted up a 747 for the Rio Olympics and pre-positioned another 747 up from LAX to do QF74 SFO-SYD so the Olympic scheme one would do the live QF73 SYD-SFO then an SFO-SCL ferry to pick up the Aussie athletes and fly them SCL-GIG for the games.

What actually happened was there was a windshield issue on the way in that was supposed to be a quick fix but turned into a week long AOG situation which not only canceled at least 3 or 4 revenue flights because "it's finally leaving tonight" (and would have the last time but the fix just barely went into crew rest issues), but the Olympic team took a huge delay and arrived on a standard livery 747 which itself had broken and sat at SFO for a few days during this little saga. Murphy's law and stuff. Happens more often than logic can explain.

Last edited:
Mmmmmm celery, the perfect food for when you feel like biting in to hair with water in it!

I can’t remember where I heard that one, but it’s true.
Celery is pure, unadulterated, green fibrous evil. It is an embodiment of all that is impure in food and cooking. Satan has celery growing in his garden and likes the stuff. I hate and loathe celery; it’s taste, texture, and smell, raw or cooked.

At least it wasn't Sun Country in a foreign land at the end of winter travel season. "Sorry flight is cancelled and we don't have another one to come get you. You are on your own".

View: https://youtu.be/xVcL1tbsidk?si=mg2sHodONcxs0BDq

Celery is pure, unadulterated, green fibrous evil. It is an embodiment of all that is impure in food and cooking. Satan has celery growing in his garden and likes the stuff. I hate and loathe celery; it’s taste, texture, and smell, raw or cooked.
Well I’m sure celery hates you too!

it's one the 3 base veggies for Bolognese sauce...prepared correctly it adds a lot...

...eveything else you said is correct

I’ve worked live but delayed flights 0 passengers on board and have absolutely no problem with this… provided the passengers are rebooked in a humane and timely manner.

What really makes my rustle is the rolling delay where the passengers are just strung along in perpetuity. “Just another 15 minutes…” dude, let’s not f over grandma for completion. That’s shameful

Back