Haven't flown in over 10 years

Jafari RastaMan

I'm a former CFI that has built up just over 1,000 hours (900 SE, 100 ME). This was 10 years ago or so and I haven't flown since. I've been working as an Engineer for the last decade, but am thinking about getting back into flying. What would it take for me to get to a Regional these days?

I'm a former CFI that has built up just over 1,000 hours (900 SE, 100 ME). This was 10 years ago or so and I haven't flown since. I've been working as an Engineer for the last decade, but am thinking about getting back into flying. What would it take for me to get to a Regional these days?

500 more hours and a pulse.

I've been in mechanical engineering for 3.3 years right after college and starting with Endeavor next month. It's been really tough choosing an airline that works and I can't thank everyone on here and APC with helping me make the right choice! But yes, get current and 500 hrs and you pretty much have a job (at least based on current needs/hiring) and don't forget to walk in with a good attitude (that sure helped me especially with two failures on my exams and one incident while CFI'ng)

Is it still taking 1.5k and a pulse? Been about 7 plus years for me.

For most regional airlines, yes. To get through training on the other hand, I would get IFR current and read up on the basics of turbine systems, 121 regs, etc.

You could build up that time quick by getting current as an instructor again. Teaching would also prepare you for interviews and training better than just flying around yourself.

I don’t know your life situation and whether you could move to an area where CFI’s are in high demand, but if so it may be easier to pick the right flying club or school where you can teach after getting current again. Obviously it’s going to take some out of pocket money to get to that point having not flown in 10 years.

Back