Handheld GPS: Garmin 96c or Lowrance 600c

clayfenderstrat

I have done research on both models, but cannot turn up any good results. Is anybody using either of these? Which one is superior to the other for basic VFR navigation. I want to use this GPS as a backup, but want to keep the price relatively low.

Thanks

I have and love the 96c

This has been discussed here before, it seems that personal preference is the real major decision maker if someone wants to purchase one over the other.

I agree with bdhill. I have a 600 and it is also a good solid unit. Try to check them both out and then you will have a pretty good idea which one suits your needs.

I checked out and read reviews of both when I was shopping for a GPS.

The Lowrance unit had reports of some quality issues and frequent signal loss. This was not extremely common in my reading, but common enough that I would have bought the Garmin at the time.

Instead, I bought an AnywhereMap. :)

I have the 96C. It has 40 hours of 2 AA battery life. Basically a mini G1000 in a box. Great for situational awareness. It has just about everything you need including airspace, obstacles, W+B calculations, fuel burn, etc calculations. Also can load approaches in it for center line guidance. Just a great tool for an aircraft without a GPS. The unit paid for itself on the first flight.

I have the 96C. It has 40 hours of 2 AA battery life. Basically a mini G1000 in a box. Great for situational awareness. It has just about everything you need including airspace, obstacles, W+B calculations, fuel burn, etc calculations. Also can load approaches in it for center line guidance. Just a great tool for an aircraft without a GPS. The unit paid for itself on the first flight.

:yeahthat: Great GPS IMO..I got it without color though. 120 bucks less and the only diff is the battery life is shorter. If you do get it though I suggest getting the external antenna it helps putting it on the window.

I have the 96C and used it throughout my time flying cargo in C-210's and Barons. Very helpful as a backup. Got about 40 hours out of the batteries. The yoke mount is pretty versatile, I used it on the 210 with ease and it even worked on the Baron (older style with both yokes mounted on one bar) I believe there is also an automobile mode in it but have never used it.

I've got the 600 and am really happy with it. No problems with signal coverage here. Worth the $ IMO.

IMHO, the 600c hands down is a better unit. I own it and used it extensively while flying for DWAS doing aerial imaging. In fact, I used my 600c over the company's Garmin 195.

Agree with all the 96C comments above, it's been great. It also saves your tracks so that you can download them and view them overlayed on google earth in 3D, tres cool.

Thanks for all the help. It looks like both units are pretty solid and have a good history, but it seems like the Garmin 96C has a few more followers--there is something to be said about a product with a lot of followers and great feedback.

Back