Hail before V1

Calling an airplane "ship" is number two below "the bird" on the annoying list of names for airplanes/aircraft. "Aircrafts" is also on there.
How bout Hoopty? Sled? Vessel? Whip? Party barge? Winged beast? Flying Machine?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Calling an airplane "ship" is number two below "the bird" on the annoying list of names for airplanes/aircraft. "Aircrafts" is also on there.

Okay, sounds good. Its a common term used regularly in line operations, especially when working with maintenance.

On a somewhat related note, I find it cute that Boeing paints the "ship number" on the nose landing gear doors of their Challenger.

Fo's can't call an abort where I work, so...no.
So much for Crew Coordination.......

Look up the (I believe) South Carolina Lear 60 accident with blown tires. Above 80 until V1, in most jets, requires a specific briefing, and I will not abort for anything other than 1. Fire, 2. Engine failure, 3. T/R deployment, or 4. Loss of directional control (at least in the jets I have flown). There might be company specific other abort criteria, but spooky sounding hail (or was it heavy rain...can you tell the difference on the roll?) on takeoff is not a good reason for a high speed abort. I will NOT abort for a blown tire unless the directional control becomes an issue.
O.K, let's be fair. In this Lear accident, they performed a previous aborted takeoff, heavy on the brakes, taxied back, did NOT allow for proper cool down or inspect as required by OM. THEN started another takeoff, tire blew well before V1, blown tire ripped off the WOW, tricked the TR into thinking it was airborne and kept it stowed, other TR deployed, loss of control, etc......crash!
That's a lot of crap happening in a short amount of time.

Even by your briefing, you would have done the same and aborted: prior to 80kts, loss of direction control (aircraft veered in direction of blow tire). The ONLY difference is that you might have followed the book and inspected the brakes after cool down thereby preventing the blow out....

O.K, let's be fair. In this Lear accident, they performed a previous aborted takeoff, heavy on the brakes, taxied back, did NOT allow for proper cool down or inspect as required by OM. THEN started another takeoff, tire blew well before V1, blown tire ripped off the WOW, tricked the TR into thinking it was airborne and kept it stowed, other TR deployed, loss of control, etc......crash!
That's a lot of crap happening in a short amount of time.

Even by your briefing, you would have done the same and aborted: prior to 80kts, loss of direction control (aircraft veered in direction of blow tire). The ONLY difference is that you might have followed the book and inspected the brakes after cool down thereby preventing the blow out....
It's been a while since I looked at the information on the Lear 60 accident, but I do not remember anything about a previous abort that day. From what I remember, they had something happen on a previous leg the day before, or two days prior, and maybe an overweight landing?

As for my briefing, no I would not have aborted (at least I hope I wouldn't have tried to abort). Just glancing through the threads I posted before, the tire blew at 1.5 seconds after V1, and abort was begun a few knots over Vr.

I'll try to look at this more when I have time, but what you describe is not what I remember, or see from glancing at the information available.

My bad, I stand corrected. I must be getting my accidents screwed together; my most humble apologies.........:cool:

Back