Gulf Air - For low time pilots

typhoonpilot

Gulf Air is starting a Second Officer program.

Check here for the requirements and application process.

F/ATPL = Frozen ATP

That is a European term for someone with a commercial certificate who has passed the ATP written exams, but doesn't have the flight time necessary for the license.

Typhoonpilot

looks like a good opportunity. Al Manama is a decent place.

TP, you know why there is a listing for S/O's but no DE positions? Kinda odd. Also, I always thought Gulf Air liked locals....is the ex-pat listing new?

looks like a good opportunity. Al Manama is a decent place.

TP, you know why there is a listing for S/O's but no DE positions? Kinda odd. Also, I always thought Gulf Air liked locals....is the ex-pat listing new?

There is a link to Direct Entry, but it's under "Your Careers" not the search function.

They've been hiring expats pretty continuously over the last few years.

TP

Thanks Typhoon, this looks like a great opportunity for the right person. I'm working on the application. Any idea what the pay would be like? Their benefits looked good as well, but I wonder if they provide housing. It mentions they do for FA's but nothing listed for pilots.

Wonder what the catch is? With mins as low as they state. Maybe I a missing something here!

No catch, any intelligent airline that does long haul flying should have Second Officer positions to help keep employee costs down. It's a good way for low time pilots to gain experience for a few years before "upgrading" to First Officer. Qantas, Cathay, South African, and many others have done it for years. Emirates and Etihad will start in short order. The only reason they haven't yet is that First Officers upgrade to Captain very quickly so it didn't make sense to have S.O.s.

TP

It sounds like a great deal, just not sure about living there and what the pay would be. Cathay requires 1000tt for their SO's. I suppose they are trying to get pilots in quickly.

What would this job entail, would a SO be doing flying what could you log etc.

Second Officers are typically cruise relief pilots. That means you sit in the right seat in cruise only. No takeoffs and landings other than in the simulator. After a couple of years you would upgrade to First Officer. Not sure if this is how Gulf Air will do it, but probably so.

Typhoonpilot

So you mean I get to fly in cruise for a couple of years for more than regional pay? Once again Im on this like white on rice:D

The SO job is a great gig for someone who likes lots of time off and hardly any work when they are "working". If you are early to mid 20's then I'd say jump on it and get on the seniority list. We have 777 Captains that are 31 years old at CX because they started as an SO early on. Very good opportunity.

Good luck guys!

Just received a rejection email I suspect they are really after just Bahrain Citizens from what the PPRUNE people are saying. Although I don't know how many Bahrain Citizens would want to be a pilot.

Yeah great, just what the world needs, more gear swingers (oops, doesn't sound like they'll get to touch the gear...autopilot minders?) getting paid rice to fill a necessary crew position because they've never been PIC on anything bigger than a kite but want to live the dream NOW. :rolleyes:

Back