GTN-750 Grey'ed out areas when NEXRAD enabled.

mightynimbus

Anyone seen this, know how to stop it?

If I turn on Nexrad, you get some pretty large greyed out areas, that lightning will still show, but no base layer or radar information.
The LRU ,69A(?) shows good,
I have seen this on 3 of our airplanes over the years, and called Garmin, no help from them, they say it's whats happening to data after reaching the magic box.
One of our employees has also seen same thing on 2 other non company airplanes, so the probability of it being just the hardware seems reduced.

But I can not find any threads from Google, exept on Beech Forum, but I can not access that thread and the preview suggests it was a trip to the Bahamas.

My current airplane showed Alaska base layer for a few minutes, then the entire State and then some, grayed out,
I was pre testing it from the ground in Oregon to see what to expect

1-2 Youtube videos I have seen showed same grayed out areas, but the video was about other things and no mention of that.

Weird.
Any of you seen this? know what causes it?

It works perfectly well in other locations, but flying 100+ miles through weather with only little yellow + signs on a gray background is not
my first preference.
Uncertain if the exact same spots repeat, I'm inclined to say they are not the same as I kinda remember going to KS with Nexrad the whole way, then a month later same trip and Grayed out zones.

Thanks !!!

NEXRAD will be grayed our over Alaska because XMWX is “unavailable” regardless of whether you’re actually able to receive it. Unless you’re getting nexrad via ADSB. Then IDK.

It is my understanding that they are areas where nexrad is unavailable for a number of reasons.
Correct. It’s areas you won’t receive NEXRAD at all (versus just needing for it to load). Basically need to disable it entirely (in map setup) when you cross the border to Mexico to even be able to use the base map, but there are plenty of varying swaths in the states and America’s Hat where it doesn’t work.

Thanks for the answers,
Kinda surprising they don't offer the service here, considering how helpful it can be, and how much GA moves around.
Seems all the "pieces" are in place but for some reason a "choice" is to not provide that part as some of the data that gets
downloaded by satellite.
Have not seen how well my Stratus will work yet, but not expecting much from it.

Thanks for the answers,
Kinda surprising they don't offer the service here, considering how helpful it can be, and how much GA moves around.
Seems all the "pieces" are in place but for some reason a "choice" is to not provide that part as some of the data that gets
downloaded by satellite.
Have not seen how well my Stratus will work yet, but not expecting much from it.
My understanding is XM is geosynchronous. Reception is not good north of a certain latitude. Rather than have pilots relying on weather that may be intermittent they have made the decision to disable it in AK. Your Stratus will work fine, much of the state is covered by ADSB ground stations.

My understanding is XM is geosynchronous. Reception is not good north of a certain latitude. Rather than have pilots relying on weather that may be intermittent they have made the decision to disable it in AK. Your Stratus will work fine, much of the state is covered by ADSB ground stations.
Yep. My parents get Sirius reception in Haines. I used to take the car receiver when driving between Haines and Anchorage and I always lost reception a couple hours out of Anchorage. My assumption is the weather uses the same satellites.

Back