Great Lakes

sky_captn

275HP Lawnmower
Before I ask, I understand the reputation/rumors/facts/etc about great lakes.

My question is regarding the schedule/flight hours. I realize what they pay is not what most folks desire, and if you do the math, $16/hr x monthly guarantee = not very much. Anyone actually work for them? What are you flying in reality? How hard is it to pick up extra days/legs if you are given schedules that put you below guarantee pay? And in the grand scheme of things, how stable are things over there? With everyone phasing out small jets let alone turboprops..
Feel free to PM if you're rather not post your name on this thread.

Some of the Lakers routes are subsidies by governments to support small towns. Turboprops are more profitable than jets in shorts distances so there will always be a demand. I've met a couple Lakes pilots in person waiting for the hotel van and they all tell me they fly a ton so I don't think that will be an issue. There are a couple GLA pilots that post on here so hopefully they chime in.

You won't have to worry about flying below guarantee as we are short pilots. Upgrade time right now is when you feel ready and have your ATP minimums. My FO last month has been here 9 months and is in upgrade in a few weeks. 95% of our flights are subsidized by EAS funding. We have picked up a ton of Mesba's old EAS routes in SD, ND, MN, MI, and IA. After they phased out the Saab, they were sending RJ's in to pick up anywhere from 0-12 passengers, hence why they pulled out. There are still four cities we agreed to take over that we cannot yet due to the fact we are short airplanes and pilots. As far as turboprops being phased out...Jet hit it right on the spot... most of the cities we fly to are short hops and only profitable by using a turboprop. But if you are looking to come here...realize you will be flying your butt off with 10-11 days off. The company is opening a lot of outstation bases with the newest being Fort Dodge, IA in September. So plan on doing daytrips in Fort Dodge, Pierre, Prescott, and Farmington. If you want more of an inside scoop PM and I can give you more in depth answers. There is a lot going on behind the scenes right now.

With the 1500 hour rule supposed to take into effect August 2013...I am pretty sure we are using this formula. 75 hrs/mnth x total months til August 2013. Subtract that from 1500 and that is what the company is looking at right now. But right now our website says 900 hours preferred. I can tell you that that is not the case as we desperately need pilots. Ozelot...its good to know you guys enjoy the SEEEEE YAAAA as much as we do. It is one of the things we enjoy most (or at least me). It makes a 7 leg/14 hour duty day not seem so bad...its especially nice when you catch us off guard by saying it first. Its the little things in life...

Some of the Lakers routes are subsidies by governments to support small towns. Turboprops are more profitable than jets in shorts distances so there will always be a demand. I've met a couple Lakes pilots in person waiting for the hotel van and they all tell me they fly a ton so I don't think that will be an issue. There are a couple GLA pilots that post on here so hopefully they chime in.

?
This post paints a rosy image of Lakes finances, which they are not.

The company is opening a lot of outstation bases with the newest being Fort Dodge, IA in September. So plan on doing daytrips in Fort Dodge,

That is hilarious, the prodigal son returns.

Edit: Four freaking flight out of Fort Dodge to MSP per day? YGTBFKM

?
This post paints a rosy image of Lakes finances, which they are not.

I don't think he is trying to paint a rosy picture of Lakes or its finances...but we aren't subject to downcycles in the economy nearly as much as other airlines in the industry. Lakes gets paid whether we have 19 passengers or 0 passengers. The only time Lakes does't get paid is if they don't land at any of the EAS airports. Lakes has a niche market, which is why it has lasted this long.

I don't think he is trying to paint a rosy picture of Lakes or its finances...but we aren't subject to downcycles in the economy nearly as much as other airlines in the industry. Lakes gets paid whether we have 19 passengers or 0 passengers. The only time Lakes does't get paid is if they don't land at any of the EAS airports. Lakes has a niche market, which is why it has lasted this long.
Check your in box

Thanks all. Gave me some much needed insight. Im not a picky pilot (as far as who i work for or what I fly), and as bleak the picture might get painted, its still a job. Anyone else actually fly there now?

My Instructor did and her husband still does. I don't think she posts here, but I could ask her or see if she would be willing to let me pass on her email address.

My Instructor did and her husband still does. I don't think she posts here, but I could ask her or see if she would be willing to let me pass on her email address.
Appreciate it! I always feel bad asking people to share info.. Just want to make the right decision.

Back