Great Lakes Interview 01/31/2014

JFlighttt

As many people already read the 9 page long post in the General Topics, I ended up having a good interview and a great experience for myself. Here it is...

The interview was with Brent Rollins, the chief pilot at GL. Great guy, met him a few months ago in Chicago, he remembered me so I had a good start already.

First off, he took me into their department and gave me the 20 question written test while he took the logbooks and all the paperwork. You have 30 minutes for the test, I did it in about 15.

I will NOT share the answers, that's your homework, I'm here to give the questions so you know what to expect.
**I do not know if these are the same 20 questions each time but these were mine**

1. Max. airspeed below 10,000MSL?
2. Cloud separation and visibility in class E above 10,000MSL?
3. When can you descend below DA/MDA?
4. Components of the ILS? (I listed 5)
5. They give you a figure of the ILS service volume, you need to know the degrees (35 until 10nm, then 10 deg. to 18nm)
6. Width of LOC at runway threshold?
7. Warm, moist, unstable air being forced upslope, what do you expect?
8. Who initiates a contact approach?
9. NDB service volume?
10. You start to pick up ice where even brief encounters are potentially hazardous and require de-ice/anti-ice equipment or a diversion; what type of ice? (Trace, light, moderate, or severe)

The next 10 questions refer to the ILS or LOC 30 approach plate into KLBF. This is a JEPPESEN chart!
I don't remember all of them but study the chart!

-How far out are you protected when you do the course reversal?
-What is your LOC MDA?
-Where is your MAP on the LOC?
-You are at 6,000 and ATC clears you for the approach, you are direct LBF VOR and about 5 miles southwest of there, describe how you would fly the approach with altitudes and headings.
-How do you identify the FAF on the LOC if you don't have ADF (ADF or DME is req. for this approach)
-If you are at 16,500MSL, how far out can you expect to receive the reception of the LBF VOR?
-What IAFs do NOT require a procedure turn?
-Aircraft before you said vis. is 1/4, can you continue?
Does the approach have a glide slope light system? If yes, what side of runway?

A few more but pretty straight forward. No problems with the written part.

So we head to Brent's office and he explained to me what the company is planning on doing with the whole 135 op. and stuff.

Couple of questions he asked:
-Tell me about yourself
-3 good and bad qualities about yourself
-Tell me about a time while instructing, you lost your students faith in you..(I told him a time how I yelled at him and he may have changed his view on me) and be able to explain how it affected them and how you would react to it if it were to happen again.
-What do you like about instructing? What do you dislike about it?
-Tell me what is your goal in the industry( talk talk talk, explain how GL would be a stepping stone to help achieve a goal)
-Checkride failures? Explain what you learned from it, if applies.

Technical stuff: (More on the same approach plate from the written)
-MSA sector-what is it?
-What your FAF on the ILS? The LOC?
-What's your MAP on the ILS? The LOC?(and what time at 120 kts?)
-What is the DARK black arrow mean? (points to highest obstacle depicted on chart)
-Would you have reverse sensing on the LOC needle if going outbound?
-Furthest you can legally go out while doing course reversal?
-Which stations have a DME, which do not?
-Service volume of the NDB (compass locator) on the chart.
-If doing the course reversal, while PT outbound, can you turn left instead of right?(explain why you can)
-Then he asks, so how about can we do our procedure turn to the south instead of north how it shows?(explain why you cannot)
-Shooting approach at 120 kts., you are at 2:38 and you are at your MDA; would you land?
- Captain is flying and lands halfway down the runway, your center line lights are now alternating red/white; how much runway do you have? They turn completely red now, how far until the end now? Your runway edge lights turn from white to amber/yellow, how much runway do you have left?
-How far down the runway are the touch down points? The aiming points? the piano keys are how far apart from each other? Some small stuff the he was just picking at my brain with because I got everything else right.

A few more things, just read the AIM!

Few more questions like DUI, misdemeanor, felony, etc. As far as that goes, the written was about 30 mins, the oral about an hour. No HR, just me and Brent. Read your AIM thoroughly, know the IFR stuff and service volumes of the stations. Any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Still waiting on a call this week from him.

I don't have a dog in this fight or the previous thread, but commend you for giving back to the community with your interview experience. The decision will be yours to make and will be throughout the rest of your career. Good luck.

Great feedback! Can you spill the beans on the 135 plan? I'm sure everyone is curious what lakes is planning.

Man I better not try to go back into the airlines. I think I would fail every question on that test.

Good luck to you. My friend was a captain there for a few years and now flies A330s for Hawaiian. You never know what might happen.

Congrats on getting to the point in your career that, at 19, you can take interviews like this. Best of luck with whatever path you choose!

Thank you everyone. Yes, it is great experience and a great opportunity at 19 to have these things going for me.

The status for me so far, still no phone call, hopefully tomorrow or next week. 90% sure I will NOT be taking the job if offered.

Anyways, onto the 135 part that everyone seems to want to know. I received this info. from a reliable source at GLA, their chief pilot.

Ok so the MSP routes are DOWN for good now. They don;t have the pilots to fly it. GL does not foresee these routes being reopened for at least 6-8 months, one the whole 135 is up and running. But by then, I'm pretty sure another operator will take those routes for them.
The 135 op. is 90-95% approved by the FAA. So GLA bought an STC for the 9 passenger aircraft for the 1900s. At first, their plan was to rip the 10 seats out, then they thought it was going to be a bad idea because say a 121 aircraft goes down, they can't just take that 135 aircraft offline and bring it over to the 121 side. So that went through; then they were going to purchase an STC to build a pipe that will go over the unusable seats so that the pipe will cause the seat belts to be un-accessible. That was frowned upon by the FAA so as far as I know now, GLA purchased an STC to run the planes with 9 pax. on the 135 side and now they are altering this current STC and are waiting for that to be approved, once approved, 135 is through. Basically, they are getting an STC for an STC...weird but that's the reality of it. It will essentially be the B1900C configuration.

GL is hoping to be approved this week so that they can launch the 135 side in March, they are running classes for pilots so that they can start right away. Once 135 is a go, about 50-60% of the ops. (approx. 6-10 B1900s) will be 135 and the company will NEVER go to an "all 135" operation, as far as I have heard. They will ALWAYS be having certain routes under 121.

As far as the 135 to 121 hop, here it is:

On the 135 op., the captain will be a full blown ATP, the F/O will be your basic commercial, IFR multi pilot in that seat for about a year to build the 1000 hours, get the restricted ATP and go right to the 121 F/O spot. Then from there, the 121 F/O will need a minimum of 1000 hours on the 121 side before he can upgrade to captain.

That is all the info. I have. Once I get the phone call I will certainly be get more information about what will be going on soon and I'll have a new post here. Any questions, feel free to throw them out here.

Thank you everyone. Yes, it is great experience and a great opportunity at 19 to have these things going for me.

On the 135 op., the captain will be a full blown ATP, the F/O will be your basic commercial, IFR multi pilot in that seat for about a year to build the 1000 hours, get the restricted ATP and go right to the 121 F/O spot. Then from there, the 121 F/O will need a minimum of 1000 hours on the 121 side before he can upgrade to captain..

Sounds like they need to read up on the new FARS, because that does not apply to 61'ers... And it wont apply to you either since you will not have an aviation degree...

Anyhow congrats on the successful interview

Not that I know of.

That I believe will stay as is. Unpaid training, usually 8 weeks or so. Hotel will be paid for, you will be with a roommate. Just pay for food and other stuff.

Not even per diem for training? Oh well I guess. Some 135 companies don't even pay for the hotel. Ha!

Got the phone call today...good a bad news..well I guess for some it may be good and better news :p

Brent, that interviewed me, gave me a call and started off by saying I had an outstanding interview and at 19 I am in a golden position in the industry. I did not get the job offer due to my age. Their policy is 21 minimum age. He wasn't happy to tell me that but it is what it is. He said otherwise he would give me a class date and he claimed that the only reason I am not getting the offer is simply because the age.

Sure makes me feel great especially that I do have good interview experience now. I guess I'll give myself a year and a half and head over to Skywest one day...

Thanks everyone for the support!

Got the phone call today...good a bad news..well I guess for some it may be good and better news :p

Brent, that interviewed me, gave me a call and started off by saying I had an outstanding interview and at 19 I am in a golden position in the industry. I did not get the job offer due to my age. Their policy is 21 minimum age. He wasn't happy to tell me that but it is what it is. He said otherwise he would give me a class date and he claimed that the only reason I am not getting the offer is simply because the age.

Sure makes me feel great especially that I do have good interview experience now. I guess I'll give myself a year and a half and head over to Skywest one day...

Great time to focus on getting a degree. Even if its just an associates in something aviation related. At least you can "check the box". And a lot of aviation colleges will give you around 30 credits for your ratings.

He made the decision for you, but if you are 19 and their min is 21 why on earth would they waste your time and money to interview ?

He made the decision for you, but if you are 19 and their min is 21 why on earth would they waste your time and money to interview ?
Right?

Made me scratch my head a little but all in all, sure was a great experience and that's mainly what I was looking for. Now I have a better picture of how it will be in a year or so when I head to the regionals with mins.

19 and already handling interview like a champ, well done. In the meantime do you have any plans for college?

Back