Great Lakes 1900 FO

Allow me to present to you this FABULOUS OFFER! Send your documents to me. Include a certified check of $25 payable to me and I will make certain your stuff is walked in by the appropriate persons. You may do this as often as you wish, there is no limitation! Act now, seniority is everything!

Sure hope you forgot to place the :sarcasm: icon on that post.:mad:

By virtue of the fact that you said that, you're not.

Not really. I dunno, there's a glass ceiling for young people in aviation that the rest of the world doesn't have, and frankly, its ########. If I'm safe enough to be an ATP in Canada why aren't I safe enough to be an ATP in the U.S.? Is Canada a dangerous place to ride on airplane? Ehhhhhh nope. Its the arbitrariness that sucks. To combat this, in the old days, the FAA had a program of issuing a "Letter of Aeronautical Competency" which could be turned in on your 23 birthday for a full fledged ATP, and allowed you to at least meet the insurance requirements so you could get a decent job. I called the FSDO when I broke 1500TT and had ATP mins a few months ago, and they practically laughed at me, "heh, we haven't done that since the late 80's, I don't even know if we have the forms anymore." Lame.

Allow me to present to you this FABULOUS OFFER! Send your documents to me. Include a certified check of $25 payable to me and I will make certain your stuff is walked in by the appropriate persons. You may do this as often as you wish, there is no limitation! Act now, seniority is everything!
You know what's funny? $25 is cheap. Heck, I offered a guy $1000 if he'd walk my resume in and I was given a job with a regional. No joke. I'd make that offer again. RICHARD5, up it... I think you can get it.
PS... what's your address? I'm making my check now. What a sick, disgusting industry. Love it.

Why do you have to be 21? At 18 I'm more mature than some friends in their late 20s.

By virtue of the fact that you said that, you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml2992
Because they will expect you to upgrade within 2 years. There were guys that started there and went through upgrade in less than a year when I was tossing bags and working on my CFI. It's not a matter of maturity as much as it is a requirement for the regulation to get your ATP certificate.

Makes sense ;)

You're right; good perspective. Someone older and less incisive would have said something like "change the age." ;) A good indicator that, when you turn 21, you'll have the age, maturity, and "requirement" to apply.

You're right; good perspective. Someone older and less incisive would have said something like "change the age." ;) A good indicator that, when you turn 21, you'll have the age, maturity, and "requirement" to apply.

I think that the ATP should be the same as ICAO standards, 23 is kind of funny in that respect. Of course, I have a personal stake in the affair.

I think that the ATP should be the same as ICAO standards, 23 is kind of funny in that respect. Of course, I have a personal stake in the affair.

The FAA is slooooooooowly moving towards ICAO standards :sarcasm:
We know have the useless SIC TYPE RATING & ENGLISH PROFICIENT on our Licenses.

Not really. I dunno, there's a glass ceiling for young people in aviation that the rest of the world doesn't have, and frankly, its ########. If I'm safe enough to be an ATP in Canada why aren't I safe enough to be an ATP in the U.S.? Is Canada a dangerous place to ride on airplane? Ehhhhhh nope. Its the arbitrariness that sucks. To combat this, in the old days, the FAA had a program of issuing a "Letter of Aeronautical Competency" which could be turned in on your 23 birthday for a full fledged ATP, and allowed you to at least meet the insurance requirements so you could get a decent job. I called the FSDO when I broke 1500TT and had ATP mins a few months ago, and they practically laughed at me, "heh, we haven't done that since the late 80's, I don't even know if we have the forms anymore." Lame.

If you have time to kill, you may want to put a call into AOPA and see what they have to say on the issue

Setting the age for the ATP is probably arbitrary at best. I've known 40 year old guys that had the maturity and decision making skills of a 3 year old, that being said, they have to make a cutoff somewhere. Not saying it's right, just the way it is.

If you have time to kill, you may want to put a call into AOPA and see what they have to say on the issue

The irony is, if I got a hold of AOPA, and the FSDO, etc. by the time any policy change was implemented, I'd probably be over 23 and it wouldn't matter for me, however, I've thought on numerous occasions about it. Maybe I will get ahold of AOPA.

I got two (!!) e-mails from them asking me to call for an interview. I called about 6 days ago and haven't heard a thing yet...

Just had my stuff walked in last Friday.. just waiting by the phone now...

Same here except mine were by multiple "internet" buddies and about 2 months ago, I've pretty much lost hope as I really think it all has to do with luck and what the CP happens to have infront of them at that moment when he/she deceides to hire someone. Really unfortunate when you know someone got an invite with less experience, oh well.

Anybody willing to help a brother out and PM me and see if you could walk my resume in?

This would be a very great act of kindness, given that it is the holidays and a time for generosity. How about a six pack of the finest German beer in exchange? :D Anybody?......Anybody?......Buller?.....Buller? >cricketts chirping<

i threw my resume in there...considering i dont know anyone there, had no one walk it in and am short on the total time...i'd say my odds are...amusing

hey at least they have my resume in the "database"

There are some valid points here. I recall a good friend of mine (Worked for the ALPA Safety committee at his airline) being very impressed with the Canadian approach on Safety. I actually was able to participate in a Canadian checkride (Sim partner was from Canada and they flew the Canadian representative in to administer the checkride) and the main difference I saw (Which I liked) was the focus on BOTH crew members (Whereas the FAA focuses primarily on the guy in the left seat)

Just my $.02

Back