Grace Period after Academy to move?

What is your source for this info?

My facility senority roster.

OKC start date is the EOD for OTS, VRA, and CTI who went to the academy prior to reporting to the facility. EOD = senority date, for this group of folks.

Once upon a time (as recently as last calendar year), the EOD = the day you walked into the facility. This is no longer the case, and a very good thing - in my opinion.

Edit: Just saw diver's response. S/he is in a different region than I, and thus we may be getting different interpretations of a lot of changes that took place in 2007 regarding folks going to OKC. I will double check, and get back with you. But, as it stands now - at my facility, EOD is the day folks reported to the academy.

My facility senority roster.

OKC start date is the EOD for OTS, VRA, and CTI who went to the academy prior to reporting to the facility. EOD = senority date, for this group of folks.

Once upon a time (as recently as last calendar year), the EOD = the day you walked into the facility. This is no longer the case, and a very good thing - in my opinion.

Thats odd, because we def use the day you walk in the facility for ours. We actually had an OTS get here 2 weeks after I did, and since she took the basics course and I didn't since I'm CTI, she got to OKC before me, so her EOD date is before mine, but I have seniority over her.

Thats odd, because we def use the day you walk in the facility for ours. We actually had an OTS get here 2 weeks after I did, and since she took the basics course and I didn't since I'm CTI, she got to OKC before me, so her EOD date is before mine, but I have seniority over her.

I'm in the same boat as you - kind of. I reported directly to my facility and my EOD is the day I walked in the door. But that doesn't happen anymore, if it's your first facility.

There was a big snafu last year when the general vacancy announcements opened coinciding with the VRA/CTI announcements. The "you have to go, but only for this. You don't have to go, report directly to the facility. You report to the facility and wait for a class date." days are gone as a result, and while it was happening the lines were being drawn and redrawn in the sand on what appeared to be a daily basis.

In my neck of the woods everyone goes (and yes CTI's and VRA's are going through basic), and they go before they report to the facility. When that started (which is what we're currently operating under), the EOD = OKC start date started. Because it's the first facility, the EOD also = facility senority date.

Hi. I was done at around 10am on Monday morning and asked my lead instructor if I could leave early to Oakland, he called the facility and they said yes. So I had Monday afternoon, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for administrative leave. That means I still get paid. I reported for work on Friday and there was nothing to do so they let me out at 11am and gave me leave for the rest of the day. :)

No we don't. I was specifically told I CAN'T go through basics, even if I requested it. Not that I would want to anyway.

Interesting. I currently am the primary for a CTI graduate, that had to go through basics...for a reason I (and he) have yet to figure out.

HR strikes again I guess...

Interesting. I currently am the primary for a CTI graduate, that had to go through basics...for a reason I (and he) have yet to figure out.

Did he get hired on a CTI announcement or a Public announcement? That could be it.

Did he get hired on a CTI announcement or a Public announcement? That could be it.

Not sure which he applied under, though that is a possibility...hence my HR strikes again comment.

Congrats on SEA, awesome area of the country. =)

That is odd. When HR was giving me my first class date, they originally told me I had to go through basics, then realized I was VRA and said I'm not allowed to. Unless he applied OTS, I see no reason why he would have gone through basics.

That is odd. When HR was giving me my first class date, they originally told me I had to go through basics, then realized I was VRA and said I'm not allowed to. Unless he applied OTS, I see no reason why he would have gone through basics.

:yeahthat: VRA and CTI applicants don't have to go through basics, unless they applied OTS...

That would be the general rule of thumb but it is very hard to do that if you don't live within 1 day of OKC.

Thats why I'm flying!! I think the drive from Seattle is a good 3 days! BTW, when I get to OKC, can someone give me a ride to the store?! :D

If I had a more reliable car (other than a 1990 Oldsmobile 88), I probably would make the drive. But I don't think I could live with myself if I was late to OKC and screwed myself out of a job!

If I had a more reliable car (other than a 1990 Oldsmobile 88), I probably would make the drive. But I don't think I could live with myself if I was late to OKC and screwed myself out of a job!
Yeah, I can see that being a problem. I've already planned the trip out, myself. We're going to drive down to Vacaville, CA and stay the night very cheaply at Travis AFB, then go through Phoenix and stay the night with my wife's relatives. So it works out very well! And of course if I only get a day or two to report then I have another driver with me :)

When they give you one day...is it like you end class on Friday and have to be at work on Tuesday, or is it like you end on Tuesday and have to be there Thursday. I ask because Driving back to california and goint to work the next day isn't going to be feasible I don't think, but I could see coming home on a weekend.

Excused absence is an approved absence from duty without charge to leave or loss of pay. This type of absence is granted in limited circumstances for the benefit of FAA's mission, to enhance employee's professional development or skills, or for a specific recognized and approved purpose. FAA managers do not have unlimited administrative authority to grant employees excused absence from official duties without charge to leave or loss of pay. Managers may only grant excused absence in accordance with the provisions of this document or other official FAA document.

A permanent employee making a change to a permanent official post of duty may be granted up to 64 hours of excused absence to make pre- and post-moving arrangements.

a. Excused absence may be granted when an employee is:
Newly appointed to his or her first post of duty as a Federal FAA employee;

Excused absence is an approved absence from duty without charge to leave or loss of pay. This type of absence is granted in limited circumstances for the benefit of FAA's mission, to enhance employee's professional development or skills, or for a specific recognized and approved purpose. FAA managers do not have unlimited administrative authority to grant employees excused absence from official duties without charge to leave or loss of pay. Managers may only grant excused absence in accordance with the provisions of this document or other official FAA document.

A permanent employee making a change to a permanent official post of duty may be granted up to 64 hours of excused absence to make pre- and post-moving arrangements.

a. Excused absence may be granted when an employee is:
Newly appointed to his or her first post of duty as a Federal FAA employee;

Thanks for the info.

Back