GPS holding entries

Blip16

5. Distance Measuring Equipment (DME)/ GPS Along-Track Distance (ATD). DME/GPS holding is subject to the same entry and holding procedures except that distances (nautical miles) are used in lieu of time values. The outbound course of the DME/GPS holding pattern is called the outbound leg of the pattern. The controller or the instrument approach procedure chart will specify the length of the outbound leg. The end of the outbound leg is determined by the DME or ATD readout. The holding fix on conventional procedures, or controller defined holding based on a conventional navigation aid with DME, is a specified course or radial and distances are from the DME station for both the inbound and outbound ends of the holding pattern. When flying published GPS overlay or stand alone procedures with distance specified, the holding fix will be a waypoint in the database and the end of the outbound leg will be determined by the ATD. Some GPS overlay and early stand alone procedures may have timing specified. (See FIG 5-3-5, FIG 5-3-6 and FIG 5-3-7.) See paragraph
1-1-19, Global Positioning System (GPS), for requirements and restriction on using GPS for IFR operations.

ok, there it is, plain and simple straight out of the AIM. it says to go outbound for the specified distance instead of time. I am not sure why but it seems to depend on who you talk to at my school, but some say 1min outbound (not sure why the AIM says otherwise) and others like myself say go for the distance.

i don't know why some people get so confused on this one

my favorite arguement is why go outbound for longer to save time/fuel............LOL, why are you holding in the first place? to waste time, weather, etc, the extra 1min outbound won't make a large impact on the flight

I think I missed the other discussion. It does seem pretty obvious. Is it possible that there's some confusion between a GPS hold in which leg length is specified and a 1-minute hold that is flown using a GPS?

I think I missed the other discussion. It does seem pretty obvious. Is it possible that there's some confusion between a GPS hold in which leg length is specified and a 1-minute hold that is flown using a GPS?
not with my coworkers. they say if doing a DME/GPS hold, then the entry is 1min (if a teardrop or parrellel) if a direct they just go for the distance............and if I try to convice them otherwise they just say i am wrong. it isn't just the line guys like me, it is also some of the higher ups

Ah well. Everyone has a bad day, but as a wise man puts in this signature block
If an error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth

At least I was consistent on
since the forms of entry are recommendations with the sole purpose of allowing one to become established inbound while remaining within protected airspace, it really doesn't matter much.
:D

Back