Got in a car accident while commuting. Two weeks later, got fired for my injuries.

Aluminum Showers

Posting under an alt because it's not something I want attached to my name. Been around here for over ten years, usually just reading.

I'm in my time building phase but had landed an instructor job that's about as good as they come. Good CFI pay, some remote assignments I enjoyed, nice aircraft. Got in a car accident a couple weeks ago and came away with an injury that landed me in the ER on three separate occasions. Both the injury itself and the meds they gave to help with it kept me from flying, but not to the extent of losing my medical or anything. Just needed some time to recover. Kept my boss up on my status every couple days.

The day after my third hospital visit, I was fired. Via email, at that. Never had a bad performance review, multiple clients sent in positive feedback... not enough, I guess.

Kind of burnt out on instructing but still have plenty of hours to go. Kind of struggling with what to do between now at 1500, and it's not an easy locale to find lower hour jobs in. I'm looking elsewhere too, but I've got a wife and kids here, so there aren't a lot of opportunities to make that work even on a shoestring budget (which I have no problem with).

I guess I'm just venting my frustration here. Not milking for sympathy or doing a "boo hoo woe is me" kind of thing, just... I dunno man, I know some other people had to have overcome things like this too, right? Any advice? Suggestions? Shoot, lower time commutable jobs you'd be willing to talk over with a long time JCer who works hard and has a clean record?

Thanks to anybody reading.

That is messed up. What state? Had you been working there more than a year? (FMLA). Maybe somebody on here can help you with a new gig.

Posting under an alt because it's not something I want attached to my name. Been around here for over ten years, usually just reading.

I'm in my time building phase but had landed an instructor job that's about as good as they come. Good CFI pay, some remote assignments I enjoyed, nice aircraft. Got in a car accident a couple weeks ago and came away with an injury that landed me in the ER on three separate occasions. Both the injury itself and the meds they gave to help with it kept me from flying, but not to the extent of losing my medical or anything. Just needed some time to recover. Kept my boss up on my status every couple days.

The day after my third hospital visit, I was fired. Via email, at that. Never had a bad performance review, multiple clients sent in positive feedback... not enough, I guess.

Kind of burnt out on instructing but still have plenty of hours to go. Kind of struggling with what to do between now at 1500, and it's not an easy locale to find lower hour jobs in. I'm looking elsewhere too, but I've got a wife and kids here, so there aren't a lot of opportunities to make that work even on a shoestring budget (which I have no problem with).

I guess I'm just venting my frustration here. Not milking for sympathy or doing a "boo hoo woe is me" kind of thing, just... I dunno man, I know some other people had to have overcome things like this too, right? Any advice? Suggestions? Shoot, lower time commutable jobs you'd be willing to talk over with a long time JCer who works hard and has a clean record?

Thanks to anybody reading.
Need more info.

I know it's not a particularly good idea to provide it on an open forum, but more info needed to determine best course of action.

You might... or might not... have legal recourse. Even if you do, it will almost certainly be expensive and a pain in the ass. Might not be worth it, even if you win.

I would suggest you contact an employment attorney. Just go into it knowing you are going to expend a lot to get back... well, who knows.

If you don't want to move there's always commutable work like WheelsUp and many survey companies that would hire you with what you have. WheelsUp does an 8/6.

I believe you gun nuts would say something like, "lock and load!"

But yeah, worth spending a few hundred bucks to see about that.

Yup. I know a lot of business owners who back down and throw money at people as soon as an attorney is even mentioned. They wet themselves when they get an actual letter from an attorney. I try to tell them that they've got insurance for this sort of thing, and 99% of the time nothing comes of it, anyway, but they don't listen. I usually just laugh when someone threatens a lawyer, but I think I'm in the minority on that one. Lawyers scare most people, for some reason.

Yup. I know a lot of business owners who back down and throw money at people as soon as an attorney is even mentioned. They wet themselves when they get an actual letter from an attorney. I try to tell them that they've got insurance for this sort of thing, and 99% of the time nothing comes of it, anyway, but they don't listen. I usually just laugh when someone threatens a lawyer, but I think I'm in the minority on that one. Lawyers scare most people, for some reason.
Scrooge-like and usurious though I think your business is, it also seems like you make an effort to comply with the law. Which is why you probably laugh, whereas others are not as savory or compliant.

Scrooge-like and usurious though I think your business is, it also seems like you make an effort to comply with the law. Which is why you probably laugh, whereas others are not as savory or compliant.

Possibly. I think it also helps that I spent the greater part of 14 years around ALPA lawyers and high dollar outside counsel, so dealing with attorneys was just an everyday thing. They really aren't that special, people. I mean, the Train almost became one. :bounce:

There are a number of 135 operations in AK that offer 2 weeks on/off that you wouldn’t have to move for. Not a lot of people with families like that schedule however.

There are a number of 135 operations in AK that offer 2 weeks on/off that you wouldn’t have to move for. Not a lot of people with families like that schedule however.

That would actually work great for us and it's been on my mind for months now (which has included scouring the forums for advice on trying to land work up there).

With the big opening in my schedule, maybe it's time to see if I can scrape together a ticket up there for some facetime, get to work on it.

Any suggestions on this one is more than welcome. I'll trade for the fancy pants beer of your choice...

That would actually work great for us and it's been on my mind for months now (which has included scouring the forums for advice on trying to land work up there).

With the big opening in my schedule, maybe it's time to see if I can scrape together a ticket up there for some facetime, get to work on it.

Any suggestions on this one is more than welcome. I'll trade for the fancy pants beer of your choice...
Grant and Hagey/Ravn take low time pilots. Hagey requires a 1 year PIC training contract now, so take that into consideration.

55K, plus per diem on an 8/6 and they pay for your commute and just came to some sort of partnership with Delta.

Also perhaps these folks might interest you if you live within 2 hours of any of the following bases. It won't be too long before you upgrade if I'm right guessing by the minimums.

• Portsmouth, NH (PSM) – Home of our state-of-the-art headquarters
  • Atlanta, GA (PDK)
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • Charleston, SC (CHS)
  • Charlotte, NC (CLT)
  • Chicago, IL (MDW) or (ORD)
  • Cincinnati, OH/Northern Kentucky (CVG)
  • Columbus, OH, (CMH)
  • Dallas, TX (DFW)
  • Detroit, MI (DTW)
  • Houston, TX (HOU and IAH)
  • Indianapolis, IN (IND)
  • Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
  • Kansas City, MO (MKC)
  • Memphis, TN (MEM)
  • Miami, FL (MIA)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
  • Nashville, TN (BNA)
  • New Orleans, LA (MSY)
  • Orlando, FL (MCO)
  • Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • St. Louis, MO (STL)
  • Tampa, FL (TPA)
  • Washington, D.C. (DCA) or (IAD)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
  • Windsor Locks, CT (BDL)

Also perhaps these folks might interest you if you live within 2 hours of any of the following bases. It won't be too long before you upgrade if I'm right guessing by the minimums.

Don't have the ATP hours for Gama, but this certainly looks promising. Will probably give it a shot. Thanks for the help!

Back