Got an email asking to go to Louisiana?

Well I grew up in LA, I miss the only the Food, Oh what great FOOD. THe city break down

SHV- (hometown) Two main airports, military (B-52) and civil, Great up/down good group of people. But just north of SHV is the worst Termite & Roach in the world, just use a lot of Raid!! good nightlife and food

MSY & lakefront- Well its New Orleans, crime is high but great food and nightlife, again two airports military and civil

Lake Charles- personally have not been there much, but know the are really short of controllers like 10 total(guessing) with about half newbies.

ULL- Ragin Cajuns good small town feel, Only partied on weekends in this town.

BTR- traffic is bad yes lots of two lane roads, good football games, only one main airport with one of the runways getting a face lift till OCT '09. Did my four years there, and will tell you never want to live there again. Dont drink the water, I will drink Mexico water over what they have there. Its nice if you like soft water to shower with, but I got sick every time I drank the water.

MLU- Small town feel, everything closes around 6pm. Not that many good places to eat or nightlife. Make sure you are married if you move here!

AEX- Personally I have not Idea about this place never stayed longer than 30 min or about the time to drive pass the city.

Hope this helps, I would go with order of
SHV
MSY
BTR
Lakefront
MLU
Lake Charles
ULL
AEX

I'm a 21 year old college student. As long as I can find an mma gym around that place I'll be happy enough to stay for a year or two until I can transfer out of those flood lands. I accepted as soon as I got the e-mail. Just need to get in the door and show those peeps that i'm better than a level 7 LOL

I'm a 21 year old college student. As long as I can find an mma gym around that place I'll be happy enough to stay for a year or two until I can transfer out of those flood lands. I accepted as soon as I got the e-mail. Just need to get in the door and show those peeps that i'm better than a level 7 LOL

I'm thinking you're probably looking at maybe the very least 5 years before being able to transfer out. We're actually getting emails of their need for LA so they're not just gonna let you go when they're that severely understaffed. This is just one of the many reasons I'm not gonna bother with LA.

Good to see you back Mike. I replied but stated only interested in MSY. I would rather take my chances with future apps than end up in one of the other places.

So...how many people are actually doing this?

And...I wonder if AT-SAT scores or anything else will play a role in this if there are an excess of applicants?

I'm nervous about living there. I live in Florida now. What is there to do in any of those areas?

And...I wonder if AT-SAT scores or anything else will play a role in this if there are an excess of applicants?

I'm nervous about living there. I live in Florida now. What is there to do in any of those areas?

In New Orleans there's a lot to do and a lot of interesting people, one of the friendliest places you'll find. Of course you have to consider pre and post Katrina conditions. Do a real estate search and you'll see what I mean. Factor in flood insurance and other things that have gone up since the hurricane. Shreveport and Baton Rouge are clean, but a little too slow for me. I would never for a second think of going to Monroe or Lake Charles, but it might be okay for someone else. The other places I don't know anything about other than driving through them.

I'm thinking you're probably looking at maybe the very least 5 years before being able to transfer out. We're actually getting emails of their need for LA so they're not just gonna let you go when they're that severely understaffed. This is just one of the many reasons I'm not gonna bother with LA.

The manager at Lakefront said transfering isnt an issue depending on staffing. As of now he cant let someone go but people are coming and going constantlly so 5 years is pushing it.

Well my first instinct was "hell no I won't go..." but then I started hearing out a few people and considering it. Now, I'm think I'm back to "Thanks but no thanks." Like Yank&Bank said...there are plenty of people who will go to LA, so, "PUBNAT7, we're counting on you!!"

I hear ya loud and clear!!!!!

Well my first instinct was "hell no I won't go..." but then I started hearing out a few people and considering it. Now, I'm think I'm back to "Thanks but no thanks." Like Yank&Bank said...there are plenty of people who will go to LA, so, "PUBNAT7, we're counting on you!!"

Not that its my business and your right theres others that would go, so you turning it down is generous. But putiing all your eggs in one basket for PUBNAT7 can be risky ya? I still had 5-6-7 pubnast. I live in CO and when i got my PEPC invite for Lakefront I just told myself 6 month CPC and I can leave when I wish.

Again not my business but just my .02

Not that its my business and your right theres others that would go, so you turning it down is generous. But putiing all your eggs in one basket for PUBNAT7 can be risky ya? I still had 5-6-7 pubnast. I live in CO and when i got my PEPC invite for Lakefront I just told myself 6 month CPC and I can leave when I wish.

Trust me...you'll see that I'm rarely "offended" by anyone's comments. It's going to take a lot to offend me.

Anyhow...I guess I am willing to put all my eggs in 1 basket for several reasons. 1) I got my degree in Marketing and that's what I do now. At times, I love it even though at the moment, I don't make as much as I'd like to. So, just like I applied for PUBNAT2 and didn't get picked up, guess what I'm doing right now? Still working my 9-5 in Marketing! I'm 26 and I have almost 5 years to try to get picked up. 2) I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether we'd be able to head out to LA and then transfer as soon as we check out. 3) I'll apply for PUBNAT1, 2, 3, 4, etc in 2009! :laff:

Thats kind of what I was getting at earlier in the thread. While I admire her courage to wait, I think it is a risk considering. Again, only 2-5% of off the streets get hired.

I seriously wonder how long of a wait it will be for pubnat 7.
I wonder how many atc jobs are available in Miami or Florida in general. I know the SE region is the toughest region to get into.
I wonder how many people were hired from pub 1 & 2 for Florida.
I wonder how many people are trying for Florida in pubs 3456and 7.
Of those,I wonder how many of those are prior military and get bonus vet points. How many military bases are in Florida with atc'ers jumping ship for the FAA...
I wonder how many applicants have super duper high at-sat scores...higher than mine.

Personally, I would give up comfy Miami or anywhere to get my foot in the door. This is a coveted job. It's tough enough to get hired. I would worry about what I am going to do in my "off time" after I make cpc.

It all comes down to priorities...:rolleyes:

EDIT
and i just read the post above this...... and I totally see where u are coming from. Just keep trying for where u want.

Thats kind of what I was getting at earlier in the thread. While I admire her courage to wait, I think it is a risk considering. Again, only 2-5% of off the streets get hired.

I seriously wonder how long of a wait it will be for pubnat 7.
I wonder how many atc jobs are available in Miami or Florida in general. I know the SE region is the toughest region to get into.
I wonder how many people were hired from pub 1 & 2 for Florida.
I wonder how many people are trying for Florida in pubs 3456and 7.
Of those,I wonder how many of those are prior military and get bonus vet points. How many military bases are in Florida with atc'ers jumping ship for the FAA...
I wonder how many applicants have super duper high at-sat scores...higher than mine.

Personally, I would give up comfy Miami or anywhere to get my foot in the door. This is a coveted job. It's tough enough to get hired. I would worry about what I am going to do in my "off time" for work after I make cpc.

It all comes down to priorities...:rolleyes:

EDIT
and i just read the post above this...... and I totally see where u are coming from. Just keep trying for where u want.

I see where you guys are coming from and BOY, you guys sure know how to make people fight with themselves...LMAO!

Everything you just said about says, "TAKE THE OFFER! TAKE IT NOW!" I guess I'm not really stuck on staying in Miami...heck, I'd go anywhere in FL or GA, or maybe even TX. But I did exactly what the FAA asked! They asked what there my 2 geo preferences?! Well it's FL & GA! And if there weren't any opportunites there for me...then I guess that's why I'm still here doing Marketing right?!

Ok, what is everyone's opinion about the chances of transferring out of LA? (We already know BadPassportPhoto's opinion of having to stay there at least 5 years).

You guys need to know that you are not even ELIGIBLE for a transfer until your a fully certified CPC for 1 year. After that one year, you are eligible for a 2 step upgrade meaning if u were a lvl 7 CPC, your only eligible to go to a 9 or below. Keep that in mnd for any of you going to little lvl 5 towers, those are gonna be the first to get contracted out, so realisticaly, your not gonna be real marketable unless you have some radar experience. Plus, its gonna be hard to find somewhere to go to get into a TRACON (only so many lvl 7 up/downs). Also, if you are trying to transfer out of your region, your gonna have to give your regional manager a good reason for losing a CPC. Lastly, if a opening comes up in the facility that u want, it will be open to the entire FAA, so if you have no seniority, you are gonna be one of the last looked at. If your points arent high enough, ur not transferring. This is a govt job, you took the oath as a public servant and you will work where the govt deems u neccesary.

You guys need to know that you are not even ELIGIBLE for a transfer until your a fully certified CPC for 1 year. After that one year, you are eligible for a 2 step upgrade meaning if u were a lvl 7 CPC, your only eligible to go to a 9 or below. Keep that in mnd for any of you going to little lvl 5 towers, those are gonna be the first to get contracted out, so realisticaly, your not gonna be real marketable unless you have some radar experience. Plus, its gonna be hard to find somewhere to go to get into a TRACON (only so many lvl 7 up/downs). Also, if you are trying to transfer out of your region, your gonna have to give your regional manager a good reason for losing a CPC. Lastly, if a opening comes up in the facility that u want, it will be open to the entire FAA, so if you have no seniority, you are gonna be one of the last looked at. If your points arent high enough, ur not transferring. This is a govt job, you took the oath as a public servant and you will work where the govt deems u neccesary.

You can be a downer to all of the above stuff or hope for the best. If they contract out NEW doesnt mean I'm fired. I get to go somewhere. As far as being able to transfer yeah CPC+1 year is only 16-18 months from start at NEW. So like i said put in 2 or 3 years then bail to where you want to go. They will take a CPC tower guy at DEN_TWR or ZDV or APA etc. over a OTS hire they pick off a list.

Again just my oppinion. Look at these opportunities as adventures :)

*WHEW!* That post by navyac had me ready to say "hell no I won't go" again! LOL!

Hey navyac - I couldn't help but laugh at your signature...you got picked up for OKC and turned it down and got picked up for it again and accepted?! Talk about fate!

Weird, when I was at NEW for my interview and tour they said both Baton Rouge and NEW were DESPERATE for new ATCs. I also know of someone in the process of transferring to NEW.

I know nothing about lake charles except that I met someone from there when I was at NSU.

How old are you ferret? I've lived here for over 23 years -3 for college, and I'm 23.

I also applied Pubnat7 today in case this one falls through, which I don't see why it would unless I fail the MMPI.

hehe, joey said desperate? he just got 2 or 3 CTI grads and i just noticed a pubnat2 guy on his way to NEW. im hoping he can find it in his heart to pick me up as well but i think hes got his hands full as is:(

but i think desperate is a relative term. everywhere is "desperate"; southeastern louisiana just isnt desperate as desperate as lake charles.

anyway im 21, 2 years at SELU myself.

You can be a downer to all of the above stuff or hope for the best. If they contract out NEW doesnt mean I'm fired. I get to go somewhere. As far as being able to transfer yeah CPC+1 year is only 16-18 months from start at NEW. So like i said put in 2 or 3 years then bail to where you want to go. They will take a CPC tower guy at DEN_TWR or ZDV or APA etc. over a OTS hire they pick off a list.

Again just my oppinion. Look at these opportunities as adventures :)

from what i understand, theres a lot of talk about how NEW should be contracted. but i dont think it will

but i like that idea of staying only as long as you can at NEW then transfering out, ill probobly do the same thing if i get picked for NEW(im trying). im not sure if youve been to NEW but the guys(and girl) there are really cool, plus the boss is absolutely halarious.

you'll like it.

and if your moving here from an other state, a word of advice. you can get to lakefront from the northshore. live anywhere from covington, slidell, mandeville, or madisonville because its a better, safer place to live and its only a 30 minute drive over the causeway to get to work.

cheers

Back