Got an email asking to go to Louisiana?

Wow ok. This is going be just as competitive if everyone that is still left from pubnat2 is agreeing to go to msy, btr....and all of the rest of the tiny airports that follow.

Weird that i selected (CO,CA) and was selected for Lakefront. They must be really desperate. I might be going to OKC sooner then I thought.

I feel the same way (kinda). It may not be a job offer, but I guarantee that if I do consider LA as a geo pref, that if/when I do make it to the PEPC...I'm 99.9% sure that my TOL will say LA. Grrr! :whatever:

Hey Miss ATC...

We were wondering where you went! Did you apply to any subsequent announcements? Let us know what you decide...

I got it as well and I really don't know what to do. I would really only want to go to New Orleans. My new geographic preferences for Pubnat4 make me nervous that I might get what I asked for but don't really want. I would have chosen LA the last go round but was afraid of getting one of the others cities besides NOLA. hmp.

Hey Miss ATC...

We were wondering where you went! Did you apply to any subsequent announcements? Let us know what you decide...

Where I went? Well I didn't go anywhere since I didn't get a PEPC invite from the PUBNAT2 round. I chose FL & GA as my geo preferences. I didn't apply to any subsequent PUBNATS b/c at the time, I didn't know that I needed to. NOW...I feel like I'm an expert at this process. LOL!

I just applied to PUBNAT7 and will probably turn down the LA offer. I'm sure it's not a "bad" place but it doesn't sound like it's for me. I did quite a bit of research on the demographics and realize it's a "step down" from what I'm use to a grew up around. I mean...I looked at the public school scores, etc. and they weren't even in the 50th percentile and lower than the national average. Crappy real estate says a lot about a place too, even though real estate doesn't look good anywhere else.

I'm strongly considering it - especially after I looked at some real estate options. Heck, I should be able to get a beautiful 4 BR home for about has much as I paid for my 1 BR condo!

Wouldn't mind being in so close to SEC football either

Everywhere has their own problems. There are nice places to go to school here too though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_High_School_(New_Orleans,_Louisiana)

I wish I had that opportunity, but I am from St. Bernard parish (county).

The real estate may be cheaper than what you're used to, but a lot of homes are gutted homes (flood damaged), so be cautious. and anyone who wants a house near NEW if they got an offer there, lakefront property is never cheap.

I am upset that people who DIDN'T want it got New Orleans, and I did but got Baton Rouge? On my geo. pref. I said PLEASE New Orleans Metro area. It wouldn't be so frustrating if it was competition for something other people actually WANTED!:banghead:

Sincere thanks Baton Rouge for the offer too though, apparantly my home area doesn't love me.

Everywhere has their own problems. There are nice places to go to school here too though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_High_School_(New_Orleans,_Louisiana)

I wish I had that opportunity, but I am from St. Bernard parish (county).

The real estate may be cheaper than what you're used to, but a lot of homes are gutted homes (flood damaged), so be cautious. and anyone who wants a house near NEW if they got an offer there, lakefront property is never cheap.

I am upset that people who DIDN'T want it got New Orleans, and I did but got Baton Rouge? On my geo. pref. I said PLEASE New Orleans Metro area. It wouldn't be so frustrating if it was competition for something other people actually WANTED!:banghead:

Sincere thanks Baton Rouge for the offer too though, apparantly my home area doesn't love me.

Well I haven't officially decline the offer though that is my plan right now. And yes, everywhere does have their own problems...but I think some are worse than others. The link you posted didn't work (FYI)

Question...have you traveled much out of LA? I'm aware that there aren't many places that compare to Miami/Ft. Laud in a few ways and I'm not stuck on staying here, but it's a culture shock. I need to live near a big city/metropolitan area, but I still don't know if LA is going to work.

I think another major deciding factor was that another PUBNAT opened up. Had it not, then maybe I might think differently.

Well I haven't officially decline the offer though that is my plan right now. And yes, everywhere does have their own problems...but I think some are worse than others. The link you posted didn't work (FYI)

Question...have you traveled much out of LA? I'm aware that there aren't many places that compare to Miami/Ft. Laud in a few ways and I'm not stuck on staying here, but it's a culture shock. I need to live near a big city/metropolitan area, but I still don't know if LA is going to work.

I think another major deciding factor was that another PUBNAT opened up. Had it not, then maybe I might think differently.

I think you should expand your world view a little. Life is what you make of it.
I personally don't think any of those locations would be a bad place to start your FAA career. Between 2 and 5% of off the street applicants are hired. They are telling you that you have a great opportunity...

I have had the opportunity and luck to live all over this great land of ours. I am the son of an air traffic controller...and we moved every few years as he climbed the ladder...then I met my wife and we moved all over with her job...
I have lived in Big cities and dinky towns....I have always had an idea of what a place and its people are like before I arrived.... I was almost always wrong.

All I am trying to say is....think twice before passing this chance up...it may be your best opportunity at getting your foot in the door...and you may actually like it..:rolleyes:

I think you should expand your world view a little. Life is what you make of it.
I personally don't think any of those locations would be a bad place to start your FAA career. Between 2 and 5% of off the street applicants are hired. They are telling you that you have a great opportunity...

I have had the opportunity and luck to live all over this great land of ours. I am the son of an air traffic controller...and we moved every few years as he climbed the ladder...then I met my wife and we moved all over with her job...
I have lived in Big cities and dinky towns....I have always had an idea of what a place and its people are like before I arrived.... I was almost always wrong.

All I am trying to say is....think twice before passing this chance up...it may be your best opportunity at getting your foot in the door...and you may actually like it..:rolleyes:

'Tis true...it "could" be a great opportunity. And life is what you make of it but life also doesn't revolve around a job so I think there should be things you enjoy doing OUTSIDE of work, hence, living in a place you enjoy. I think I have a pretty good "world view" on things (at least in my opinion)...especially since neither one of my parents were born or raised here in the States and have travelled many many places. I know that Miami/S. Fl is very diverse like a few other places here in the States. I also know that EVERYWHERE isn't like that.

Just up and moving somewhere isn't about just me b/c if it were, then I'd probably be more prone to starting my career there. Of the 2 ATCs I've spoken to (1 retired and 1 about to soon), neither one of them have moved from the city they began in. Now...from what they've mentioned, ATC is one of those careers where you just don't wake up and say, "Ya know...I don't really like living in Lousiana anymore, maybe I'll move to NYC tomorrow!" I was under the impression that you CAN move but starting out, you'll be there AT LEAST 3 years.

'Tis true...it "could" be a great opportunity. And life is what you make of it but life also doesn't revolve around a job so I think there should be things you enjoy doing OUTSIDE of work, hence, living in a place you enjoy. I think I have a pretty good "world view" on things (at least in my opinion)...especially since neither one of my parents were born or raised here in the States and have travelled many many places. I know that Miami/S. Fl is very diverse like a few other places here in the States. I also know that EVERYWHERE isn't like that.

Just up and moving somewhere isn't about just me b/c if it were, then I'd probably be more prone to starting my career there. Of the 2 ATCs I've spoken to (1 retired and 1 about to soon), neither one of them have moved from the city they began in. Now...from what they've mentioned, ATC is one of those careers where you just don't wake up and say, "Ya know...I don't really like living in Lousiana anymore, maybe I'll move to NYC tomorrow!" I was under the impression that you CAN move but starting out, you'll be there AT LEAST 3 years.

Saying that you need to expand your world view was probably the wrong choice of words... I am sorry if that came off the wrong way...

I think you should do some research and make an informed choice. I just hope you get picked up. Good Luck...

As for the moving thing..... I intend to stay where I'm going as long as I can... But I have a good example in my dad.....and it can and is done.

Saying that you need to expand your world view was probably the wrong choice of words... I am sorry if that came off the wrong way...

I think you should do some research and make an informed choice. I just hope you get picked up. Good Luck...

As for the moving thing..... I intend to stay where I'm going as long as I can... But I have a good example in my dad.....and it can and is done.

Trust me...no offense taken. Point being, I don't know how easy (or not) it was to move from city to city when you're dad was advancing in his career. That's something I don't want to do to my daughter. If they said, "Hey, come to Lousiana for 3 years and we'll place you where you wanna go after that." Then I'd go in a heartbeat!

Apparantly in my link earlier that ) had to be included in the address bar, but I don't know how to fix that, just add a ) to the end of the address in the address bar after you click it.

I took my MMPI-2 today, that was weird. I found out one thing out for all the potential LA applicants. NEW is a beautiful airport with an awesome view from the tower (been in it), but I was told you will not get radar experience there, potentially making it harder to transfer later. I was at MSY to take my MMPI when I heard this (which I also toured a few months ago). NEW is way smaller and way less busy, but 4 pay scales lower. It's all in what you want I guess.

Now I need to tour Baton Rouge Metro.

Have you been to N.O. MissATC? You need to include neighboring Metarie, LA to see the actual population, that's where all the malls/restaraunts/businesses/cinemas/everything is. Just never wander to the westbank, it may happen by accident a few times, but never intentionally.

I hope all applicants like seafood... or don't apply.

Apparantly in my link earlier that ) had to be included in the address bar, but I don't know how to fix that, just add a ) to the end of the address in the address bar after you click it.

I took my MMPI-2 today, that was weird. I found out one thing out for all the potential LA applicants. NEW is a beautiful airport with an awesome view from the tower (been in it), but I was told you will not get radar experience there, potentially making it harder to transfer later. I was at MSY to take my MMPI when I heard this (which I also toured a few months ago). NEW is way smaller and way less busy, but 4 pay scales lower. It's all in what you want I guess.

Now I need to tour Baton Rouge Metro.

Have you been to N.O. MissATC? You need to include neighboring Metarie, LA to see the actual population, that's where all the malls/restaraunts/businesses/cinemas/everything is. Just never wander to the westbank, it may happen by accident a few times, but never intentionally.

I hope all applicants like seafood... or don't apply.

Nope...never been! Everything I know about LA is what I've been reseraching. Then again, when you visit somewhere, it's completely different from living there. Just like when people think Miami is one big South Beach life (not!). All I do know is that there isn't anything I can think of that I can get in the U.S. that I can't get in S. FL...except an FAO Schwartz and an outdoor ice skating rink :laff:

MattMorgan - have you ever been to S. FL?

Never been to S. Florida. Been as far as Orlando Fl.

I almost went to Miami, changed our minds, but shouldn't have.

New Jersey (awesome) Alabama, Tennessee, Indiana, A lot of texas, North & South Carolina, New York (I don't remember it though).
I want to see Toronto! Me and my girlfriend will go in about 2 years.:nana2:

Pass on this house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU9N42BKNrU

just to clear up a few things though i may be late.

ive lived in La for 20 years and know most of the faculty in BTR, MSY, and NEW(lakefront).

MSY is full and has been full since katrina when the tower and tracon in NEW got detroyed. basically the crew from NEW transferred to MSY so they could stay in the state.

Lakefront might need one or two people, but i know that they're gunning for a friends kid on the pubnat4 panels at least.

BTR needs a few good people at the most as well, but i know of an ex-coworker thats headed there in pubnat 2 so the door's closing fast.

butttt the reason they are sending those e-mails is the fact that lake charles is so understaffed that they have to close at 5pm and give the traffic over to houston center everyday.

The city is beautiful, but its not surounded by much and New Orleans is like 5 hours away. therefore, no one wants to go there unless theyve lived there before.

p.s. all the people who think louisiana isnt worth their time, i wouldnt accept because theres plety of people who think differently.

Weird, when I was at NEW for my interview and tour they said both Baton Rouge and NEW were DESPERATE for new ATCs. I also know of someone in the process of transferring to NEW.

I know nothing about lake charles except that I met someone from there when I was at NSU.

How old are you ferret? I've lived here for over 23 years -3 for college, and I'm 23.

I also applied Pubnat7 today in case this one falls through, which I don't see why it would unless I fail the MMPI.

Back