Got a job - moving to Nashville!

Ian_J

Hubschrauber Flieger
Three months ago I made the decision to leave aviation and pursue non-flying opportunities. Two months ago I left Airnet to be a full-time job-hunting bum. I've applied at more places than I can remember and have considered becoming a professional interviewee as many times as I've sat at the interview table. I've received some offers, but finally today accepted one I can be completely happy with. The search is finally over.

I accepted a job to be a medical device sales representative and will move to Nashville with the ominous task of developing a brand new market there. (Yes, I told them I have no idea what I'm doing ;)). I was very lucky to find a company who valued former military officers and whose company culture was the right fit for me.

This post would be worthless without a significant amount of thanks to those who have helped me on this path. JC has proven quite the resource for even non-aviation related pursuits as scores of JC-ers offered tremendous support to me. I owe a big thanks to Merit, Moxie, Killbilly, Citationkid, 88MPH, Murdoughnut and TonyW who have all helped me navigate the tricky world of non-aviation employment. I'm positive I missed someone - if so my apologies and it'll probably come to me later.

Three months ago I made the decision to leave aviation and pursue non-flying opportunities. Two months ago I left Airnet to be a full-time job-hunting bum. I've applied at more places than I can remember and have considered becoming a professional interviewee as many times as I've sat at the interview table. I've received some offers, but finally today accepted one I can be completely happy with. The search is finally over.

Awww, shucks....

Congratulations, Ian.

You'll like Nashville. It's a pretty cool little town. I get out there now and again so I'll look you up.

Still you should have moved to Austin, but whatever....:)

Thanks guys.

Awww, shucks....

Congratulations, Ian.

You'll like Nashville. It's a pretty cool little town. I get out there now and again so I'll look you up.

Still you should have moved to Austin, but whatever....:)

While Austin would have been great (and Seggy tried to recruit me there too!), Nashville is cool. Kris and I used to live just north of the city when I was in the 101st and we liked the area.

And Merit - your PMs are full, bro.

Mark my words Ian,

This is just the tip of the iceberg. You'll gain some sales experience, meet new people, and be introduced into new medical device markets. Soon enough, you'll leave and head out for another company. Remember that the industry average for the amount of time a rep puts into a company is 2 years.

When the big daddy company's recruiters call you (and believe me, they will!), you'll be all over it. My first year in the business I had recruiters calling me offering me 40% more than I was making sight unseen. Welcome to the world of sales. You better become a staunch capitalist now or, you'll never make it. ;)

Ian, PM box cleared.

WOW, Congrats, Ian (& Kris)! :nana2:

Starting a new career is a bit overwhelming (trust me, I know!), but I'm sure with your background, you'll do just fine. ;)

Best of luck to the both of you. :)

I sat next to a medical sales rep one night on a deadhead. We had a nice long chat, he was enthusiastic about the industry and the direction in which it was heading. I wish you luck and admit I am a bit jealous - it seems like a good way to make a (great) living.

Dude, that's AWESOME!

I was born and grew up in Nashville, and moved back for a while last year. I guarantee you will love the place. It would definately be on my short list of places to end up.

PM me if you have any questions about parts of town, things to do, all that jazz...

I sat next to a medical sales rep one night on a deadhead. We had a nice long chat, he was enthusiastic about the industry and the direction in which it was heading. I wish you luck and admit I am a bit jealous - it seems like a good way to make a (great) living.

It's a great way to make a living if you can weather the burn out.

Good for you, Ian. I think you're going to do very well in sales. You have the thick skin that's needed to survive all the rejection that comes with the job and you've got the brains you need to figure out how to say the right thing to get each client to buy.

Good luck.....but it sounds boooooooooooooring to me. But I guess that's why I am not in medical device sales :D

Best of luck to you! And if your medical devices have anything to do with women suffering from the medical extremes as a result of their eating disorders, feel free to visit my wife's company in Nashville.

Back