Good "You're the captain"

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
Good \"You\'re the captain\"

You're mainline partner has just announced that it has changed the cell phone usage policy after landing, so passengers can make calls during the taxi into the gate. It stated that this also pertains to the regional subsidiary as well. However, the FAA has not approved such cell phone use for that regional carrier, even though the press release states otherwise.

Three passengers begin making calls after landing, and the flight attendant politely asks them to refrain. They state the policy change, and the flight attendant explains that it does not apply to your company. The three passengers begin to get very upset and loud about being reprimanded for something "allowed", so much so you can hear it through the cockpit door.

The flight attendant calls up and explains three passengers are getting upset that they were reprimanded for their cell phone use, and are all very aggressive in tone. She also states they are still using their phones.

You are currently taxiing in a very active area attempting to get across the airport to your gate. What should you do?

(Hasn't happened, or maybe it has, but also maybe not)

Re: Good \"You\'re the captain\"

Since you’re already near the terminal I would proceed to the gate, secure the aircraft, and then take care of the problem. Doing this, you would also have access to security personnel on the ground if their aide became necessary.

After all… how much angrier could they get during the 3 minute taxi to the gate?

After secured at the gate, slam open the cockpit door, wave your maglite at the three cell phone perpetrators, and yell "See this? This is my BOOM STICK!"

Since it's not a safety of flight issue, you do nothing. IF the passengers do not calm down once at the gate, you call the gate supervisor and let him/her deal with it.

Unless the passengers are a physical threat to the FA, it can be dealt with at the gate.

[ QUOTE ]
wave your maglite at the three cell phone perpetrators, and yell "See this? This is my BOOM STICK!"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

"If one of you primitives so much as TOUCHES me.....KABLAMM! Ya got that?"

If this happened I might make an announcement on the PA that went something like this ( folks this is is your [insert flight crew member position here] speaking, we've just recieved a call from the FAA and they informed us that there are several people on the flight using their cell phones at this time, although it is approved on our mainline partner it has not been approved by the FAA for [insert regional carrier's name here] yet, they have told us that if this operation does not cease immediately we will be instructed to hold our position on the airport until it does, thank you for your understanding, and let's put those phones away for another couple of minutes so we can continue to the gate. ) a little white lie, but it might work unless company management has a bug up their butt about a crewmember saying something like this.
I would also ask the lead flight attendant if it would be acceptable to include a briefing during the approach at all destinations to the affect that the FAA still does not allow our passengers to use the cell phones until parked at the gate, even though the mainline carrier is allowed to use them on the taxi in, and that their cooperation is appreciated in this matter.

Or you can just let it go. I know you have to support your f/a, but you will have a greater impact if, after you park at the gate, talk to those passengers and tell them that this rule does not apply to your regional carrier yet. Also, I would not permit a passenger to become verbally abusive or physical with the f/a, and if this was the case, you have plenty of resources now to get those people arrested once at the gate...
After all, who has never used their cell phone on the plane?? Not me...

Yup, just let it go. Even in-flight, all cell phone use is going to do is run the the risk of having their service shut off.

It's an FCC thing, not an FAA one.

[ QUOTE ]
If this happened I might make an announcement on the PA that went something like this ( folks this is is your [insert flight crew member position here] speaking, we've just recieved a call from the FAA and they informed us that there are several people on the flight using their cell phones at this time, although it is approved on our mainline partner it has not been approved by the FAA for [insert regional carrier's name here] yet, they have told us that if this operation does not cease immediately we will be instructed to hold our position on the airport until it does, thank you for your understanding, and let's put those phones away for another couple of minutes so we can continue to the gate. ) a little white lie, but it might work unless company management has a bug up their butt about a crewmember saying something like this.
I would also ask the lead flight attendant if it would be acceptable to include a briefing during the approach at all destinations to the affect that the FAA still does not allow our passengers to use the cell phones until parked at the gate, even though the mainline carrier is allowed to use them on the taxi in, and that their cooperation is appreciated in this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the meantime while making this announcement yoiuve taxied across an active runway after being told to hold short. While on the ground, remember sterile cockpit.

Let them use it ... I once had a disussion with an electrical engineer who told me the odds of a cell phone interfering with radio communications are about the same as winning PowerBall. If the majors have decided it's OK for you to use it on the ground during the post-landing taxi, the odds must be even less.

Unless you start beating the captain over the head with your cell phone, it's very unlikely it will interfere with safety of flight.

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, just let it go. Even in-flight, all cell phone use is going to do is run the the risk of having their service shut off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah-I agree with this one, unless someone was asulted verbaly or physically I'm just going to let it go...

I would stand in the cockpit doorway and(all 6'6, 290lb of me) would calmly asked if there was a problem. something tells me that might calm the situation.

Good point kingairer, but did that runway incursion occur when we were speaking on the interphone with the FA, or while making the announcement? In other words, if you need to stop simply inform ground that you will need to hold your position on the taxiway for a moment to make an announcement to your passengers, heck when they ask why you can inform them that you hear one having a loud discussion with an FA about company/FAA policies and are afraid it might get out of hand and put that crew member at risk to bodily harm if allowed to continue, that way you'll have the Police to explain to your passengers why they can't use their phones. I don't disagree with your reasoning, but there are always many many circumstances that differ from one incident to the next, and if you're truly in a very critical moment that will not allow you to use the PA while moving, then by all means DO stop the airplane and get the situation under control, the way I see it is that if you hear the FA and passenger(s) arguing about the phone issue your attention will be just as diverted from paying attention to what you are doing as it would be if you made an announcement over the PA.
In other words, if you feel you have to stop the aircraft and get the situation under control, do it, if you don't then don't. It's a judgement call based on the situation at hand, if the company policy however does not allow a PA announcement to be made during taxi, and or you are not in a position to do so then stop and do it, but if things in the back are starting to get out of hand you might not want to wait too long before making that call.

[ QUOTE ]

In the meantime while making this announcement yoiuve taxied across an active runway after being told to hold short. While on the ground, remember sterile cockpit.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is possible, we all know that we've heard,

"From the flight deck, on behalf of this Memphis-based flight crew, we wanted to be the first to welcome you to BFE...since we're a few minutes early, there's going to be a short delay getting into our gate....blah blah blah, yada yada yada...."

Personally, though, I'd let it be. It's not worth the trouble to deal with such a petty problem. Kind of like the guy that has a few (too many) drinks, then falls into a drunken slumber. Let him be, and all will be alright....

[ QUOTE ]
"See this? This is my BOOM STICK!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Colbolt blue barrell, wooden stock. This baby was manufactured in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for $39.95. SHOP SMART! SHOP S-MART!!!!!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Let them use it ... I once had a disussion with an electrical engineer who told me the odds of a cell phone interfering with radio communications are about the same as winning PowerBall

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had the displeasure of listening to quite a few cell phone conversations over the radio. Your engineer friend is incorrect. Also, usage of cell phone on the ground has caused more than one emegency lighting system to turn itself on.

Ever had a cell phone on while using a GNS430? More than a couple times have I gotten a RAIM integrity warning if someone hadn't turned off their phone that had just entered scan mode.

A little experiment for everybody......

Step 1. Place cell phone next to computer

Step 2. Call cell phone

Step 3. Observe all the weird stuff your computer does as a result!

Or better yet, place it anywhere near a speaker and listen to it go nuts...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I'd probably tell the FA to sit tight, continue to the gate, and have a discussion with the passengers there. I'd tell them that this flight is conducted under a different set of rules than the main line flight and that cell phone use is not yet approved. I'd also tell them that interfering with a flight crew is a federal offense. The best case scenario is that they might not complete the flight.

Option two would be to stop the aircraft and tell them the same thing over the PA. I'd sit there until they comply.

Back