Good opportunity or abuse?

:yeahthat:

That very well may be the best thing i've ever read on JC.

It doesn't make sense though, because my responsibility isn't proportional to my total time, in fact, I probably carry more passengers in a day than the average CJ driver (RJ drivers even more), and I'll pull in between $200-250/day on an average day. Pay is never proportional to responsibility, pay is proportional to how much the company values their employees over the amount of money they can spend on them.

This brings up another issue. We in aviation, are not payed for our responsibilities, we are paid to drive airplanes around, which entails a lot of responsibility, not the other way around. We are responsible for human life which is more valuable than any company can pay us. Do you not fly as well when you aren't payed to do it? When you take your friends and family out of flights are you reckless and dangerous because you're not being payed to do so? I think not.

Its a compelling argument, and at one time I'd have agreed, but I think I'm becoming more cynical.

It doesn't make sense though, because my responsibility isn't proportional to my total time, in fact, I probably carry more passengers in a day than the average CJ driver (RJ drivers even more), and I'll pull in between $200-250/day on an average day. Pay is never proportional to responsibility, pay is proportional to how much the company values their employees over the amount of money they can spend on them.

This brings up another issue. We in aviation, are not payed for our responsibilities, we are paid to drive airplanes around, which entails a lot of responsibility, not the other way around. We are responsible for human life which is more valuable than any company can pay us. Do you not fly as well when you aren't payed to do it? When you take your friends and family out of flights are you reckless and dangerous because you're not being payed to do so? I think not.

Its a compelling argument, and at one time I'd have agreed, but I think I'm becoming more cynical.

Your argument is not very good. Pilots are paid for safety and proficiency period. If the flight is for hire and I'm sitting in the right seat(and a required crew member), I'm going to be getting paid for it. No pay, no fly. I've never done a flight for hire for free. That includes flight instructing, ferry flights, and etc... Even when I needed multi time badly I held out until they were flights that I were getting paid to do.

Prag...You are not looking through the same glass as where this discussion has gone. Part 91 Contract. There has to be a base standard for any seat, regardless of time or experience. Doesn't matter if you have 500 or 5,000 hours, if you ask them to take on the responsibly of a seat, they deserve a fair and acceptable wage. Now if you want to pay the guy with more time a higher wage than the 500 hour guy thats fine, but don't insult the lower time guy by saying he is worth less than standard pay.

You're only worth how ever much you can negotiate.

Not some false notion of how much a company "values" you.

Back