GI Benefits

navyac

Im wondering if there is anyone that is currently going to the academy that is drawing GI benefits, or someone who has drawn their GI benefits and can help me out with something. I called the VA yesterday to see if my VA benefits had been approved and they told me that they had however, the FAA academy is not an approved school so I would not be getting benefits while in the academy. I was really under the impression that the FAA academy was an approved school and just looking for some info on what exactly you have to do to get thise benefits paid for, etc. Also what exactly are the payments and so on.

Thanks

NavyAC - when you list your institution or facility on the benefits application, it has to be your actual facility...not the Academy.

Also...if your headed to a smaller facility, there is a chance that they do not have a certifying official designated. I ran into that...I applied for OJT backpay, gave all the stuff to my facility, they sent it in, I got a letter back from the VA stating that my facility wasn't an approved location and they needed to become one...so I gave all that info to my facility..AGAIN...and this time they re-completed all the training and are now officially an approved location with an actual certifying official....So when you find out what your facility is...the sooner you can call your facility and make sure they have their ducks lined up in that respect, the sooner you will start getting paid and not having to wait for them to do everything they should have done 5 months ago!

while this may not be entirely relevant to the situation at hand, to give you a general idea of the payouts I just got certified for FULLTIME @ my junior college while I wait for the PUBNATS to go through and my monthly is $1351

Your payout is not the same for drawing GI OJT Benefits as it is for GI Bill for education. The OJT payout currently is 75% for the first six months, 50% for the next 3 months, and ...maybe 35% for anytime after. So you will get 75% of your full-time allotment as long as you put in at least 120 hours of work within one month. Sick leave and vacation leave do not count. I think right now 75% is around $1000 a month.

Back