Ghost Surgery

SoaringHills

Hi AME!

I just complete my third class medical today and it got deferred, as I expected it would due to a disqualifying condition. However, the AME asked if I had any surgeries and I stated that I had Tonsillitis before I was pre-teen; come to find out I never had a Tonsillitis... Should I be concerned about this? My FAA 8500-8 form has been filled out and sent in. I don't want to lie on my application.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi AME!

I just complete my third class medical today and it got deferred, as I expected it would due to a disqualifying condition. However, the AME asked if I had any surgeries and I stated that I had Tonsillitis before I was pre-teen; come to find out I never had a Tonsillitis... Should I be concerned about this? My FAA 8500-8 form has been filled out and sent in. I don't want to lie on my application.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Tonsillitis is inflamed tonsils and being sick and miserable, tonsillectomy is a surgery having them removed. You can probably figure it out by having a close friend (one you're not likely to offend) help by looking at your throat through your wide open mouth with a flashlight and comparing what they see to images on google. I was lucky enough to go the surgery route when I was 12, a week at home and lots of ice cream. I've heard having them removed as an adult is an ordeal that shouldn't be taken lightly. Mine were removed when I was young because I seemed to get sore throats and tonsillitis often. Hope you mixed up the words and are tonsil free.

It is surprising that you were deferred for a tonsil issue, whether it was a history of tonsillitis or tonsillectomy. I would wait for the deferral letter to come from the FAA. It will outline exactly why you were deferred and what steps to take to pursue your certificate. If you want to be proactive call the office of you regional FAA flight surgeon and ask why your application was deferred and explain your misunderstanding. Keep us posted!

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

It is surprising that you were deferred for a tonsil issue, whether it was a history of tonsillitis or tonsillectomy. I would wait for the deferral letter to come from the FAA. It will outline exactly why you were deferred and what steps to take to pursue your certificate. If you want to be proactive call the office of you regional FAA flight surgeon and ask why your application was deferred and explain your misunderstanding. Keep us posted!

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

I'm sorry if that seemed confusing. I was deferred because of a different disqualifying disability. I was saying that I accidentally told my AME that I had Tonsillitis, when in fact I never have had a Tonsillitis. Should I let them know, or is it not a big deal now? My paperwork has already been sent.

Back