Getting my wings back

Aviator_Bakeek

It's been some time since I posted here at JC, it's really really bad timing to be changing careers. I hope to get some insight from those who are active in the industry and get an idea of what I may encounter in the near future.

The best way to describe why I am making the choice to pursue a career as a pilot is because it is the only thing that I can imagine myself doing and actually being happy. I have visited career counselors at the college, rode along with police officers, visited ATC facilities, etc., and the only thing I can't seem to let go is finishing my training, breaking through this storm and pursuing my dream. I know I am not the only person in this boat, so hopefully your posts will help others as well.

I have my PPL, was ready to take a IFR check but after the examiner cancelled on me (earlier this year) I was never able to get back into the swing with being newlywed and having a baby. My thought is to hit ATP and finish out my training, continue to work for Flexjet, and instruct build some time, and become a right seater at CAE Simuflite in a Citation(was a training coordinator before coming to Flexjet).

Looking into the upcoming year 6 months from now, what do you think I can expect from the industry in regards to available jobs with 500TT & 150 multi? I am located in the D/FW area, but would not be opposed to relocating. I know its like reading tea leaves regarding the future, but I am hoping that there is a more realistic view of the industry from those who are actually currently involved.

Regarding the posts in the jobs available forum, are there really more jobs out there that aren't being shared for the sake of reducing the competition?

Give me your opinions and suggestions, everything is welcome and appreciated.

Honestly, I think you will be happier not trying to get paid as a low-time pilot (with a wife & kid and any aspiration of owning a home). There are years of guys on the street who are waiting to get back into a $20k-a-year job, and right now a lot of them are doing the flying that would otherwise be available to guys with 500TT.

I realize its a tough decision to make, especially after all that you have invested in getting this far, but the last thing pilot jobs need is more people willing to take a hit for a while to do what they enjoy. Your time is money and the number one reason you have a job is so you and your family are able to do the things you want (right now and saving for the future). So I cringe at the thought of assuming another $60k in debt (after interest?) so you can have a job that is barely able to service that loan.

I assume you already have a four-year degree, so why not contine with a career whose pay is more commensurate with that credential? Sit down and run the monthly numbers for a mortgage, and when your kid will need braces, and an instrument for band, and then tuition, and when you want to take a cruise, etc. How comfortable will you be for how hard you've worked? Given the qualifications (four years of school plus the cost of flight training or a ten-year military commitment), a pilot should not need a second job at Starbucks.

Obviously there are many folks on here who are making it work, so this is just my opinion. I just couldn't see myself looking back from 45 or 55 and being satisfied with the performance that comes with ten years of contract-carrier pay and working conditions, or moving to a new job and losing any security that seniority offered when other career opportunities were available to me.

I realize I have probably crapped on the livelyhood of some JC'ers, so please correct me where I am wrong. I'm sure there are parts of the job that are an absolute blast, but there are so many other things in life than just flying.

I'd say, sit down with your wife, be realalistic with her and your self on the low pay and bad hours that will be headed your way as a CFI and as a new right seater. Save as much money as you can right now. . . and go for it. If you want to do the ATP thing, then do the self paced (since you already live in the DFW area). Keep your job right now . . . dont do the 90 day thing because in 90 days there will be no more jobs than there are now . . . if somehow the hiring boom starts up in the next 12 months (:rotfl:) then go into the fast paced program.

I'd say go for it . . . just now it is going to be a bit of a tough road, but if you guys have a conseritive plan, then you should be ok! If this is your dream, and your family is 100% behind you, and they are willing to make serious sacrifices then go for it! Right now ATP is doing it all for 35K .. that is pretty darn good!!! Really!!!!!

So have fun, follow that dream and go get'em!!!

It's been some time since I posted here at JC, it's really really bad timing to be changing careers. I hope to get some insight from those who are active in the industry and get an idea of what I may encounter in the near future.

The best way to describe why I am making the choice to pursue a career as a pilot is because it is the only thing that I can imagine myself doing and actually being happy. I have visited career counselors at the college, rode along with police officers, visited ATC facilities, etc., and the only thing I can't seem to let go is finishing my training, breaking through this storm and pursuing my dream. I know I am not the only person in this boat, so hopefully your posts will help others as well.

I have my PPL, was ready to take a IFR check but after the examiner cancelled on me (earlier this year) I was never able to get back into the swing with being newlywed and having a baby. My thought is to hit ATP and finish out my training, continue to work for Flexjet, and instruct build some time, and become a right seater at CAE Simuflite in a Citation(was a training coordinator before coming to Flexjet).

Looking into the upcoming year 6 months from now, what do you think I can expect from the industry in regards to available jobs with 500TT & 150 multi? I am located in the D/FW area, but would not be opposed to relocating. I know its like reading tea leaves regarding the future, but I am hoping that there is a more realistic view of the industry from those who are actually currently involved.

Regarding the posts in the jobs available forum, are there really more jobs out there that aren't being shared for the sake of reducing the competition?

Give me your opinions and suggestions, everything is welcome and appreciated.

Best of luck in this regard, but to be realistic, you may want to really think hard and long about getting into aviation right now. Honestly, if one of my younger siblings came to me today and told me they wanted to be a professional pilot, I'd tell them to go be a dentist. My answer would probably change if they already had more flight time, but if you're coming in with less than 500 hours the outlook isn't good. As a previous poster said, there are lots and lots of furloughed airline guys staffing those CFI jobs that would have normally been open to people with <500 hours. When you do get into a CFI or right-seat job, you're going to be stuck with bad pay and work rules for a long time. If you can handle that, more power to ya.

I hate to sound like I'm bitter; I'm certainly not. I still greatly enjoy the actual job of flying airplanes; I don't think I could ever sit in a cubicle or an office building. That being said, I still bid a line at my carrier that allows me lots of time off, but with less monthly pay. I specifically did that so that I could have time to pursue other interests and try to make myself independent of the income I bring in as a pilot. I simply don't want to make myself dependent on this industry for my livelihood forever.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you all for your input. My wife and I have talked a lot about flying and aviation in general. I love to fly, I have felt at a loss since I had to stop. I let my wife read the posts on this thread, she asked me how I felt afterwards. I had been telling her that I did not want my own selfish desires to interfere with our family or our well being. Since aviation is where 90% of my professional experience lies, we looked into some other avenues which would allow me to work in aviation doing something else I enjoy. The best we found was getting my A&P and working my way up to maintenance management which may end up allowing me the financial ability to own or join in fractional ownership and I could fly on my own terms.

I really have not made up my mind, I have my doubts about what I would enjoy or find fulfilling outside of flying. I guess I have a whole new thing to talk about with the career counselor. If any of you all know anything about maintenance managing or becoming a maintenance manager than feel free to let me know. Otherwise, any other suggestions are welcome as always.

some of the larger cargo companies still use flight engineers (pilots that have A&P's). You usually need to go to school for that type plane, but sometimes they send you to school.
one of my friends just finished doing that for a larger Cargo company. He flew all over the world with them!

Also, something to think about . .. if fixing planes is not what you desire and want, then dont do it! Dont be the guy who is working on planes inside the hanger, but his heart is outside flying .. . you will not be happy in your job and you might even build up resentment towards your family. (seen it done) There are tons of different avenues in flying. . .not just the airlines or corporate.
Many wifes here of the horror stories of husbands being gone all the time, cheating on them and leaving them to fend for themselves and kids, while they are out having a great time flying.
So make sure that is not an underlying concern for her. Lots of jobs (usually not as glamorious) where your nights away are very limited. Who knows you might find someone who needs you to fly them around in there 182 for bussiness trips and vacations. I know several guys that do that. . . they LOVE IT!!!

So make sure you look at all options . . of course, untill you build your hours and get your ratings you will never know . . so a leap of faith is always needed.
One more thing. . if you get your A&P . . . you are now a value add pilot!! You just brought a TON to the table!! Folks LOVE pilots who are A&P's!!! :D

Back