“Get me HAM on 5, hold the mayo”

schloopy

Since (apparently) it’s been too long since anyone has talked about MH370, one accredited “expert” has a new theory that miraculously not a soul on the entire planet has thought of except for him. And oh by the way, its “guaranteed” to work, not a sliver of doubt. Check it out for yourself:

A new 60 Minutes Australia piece just published highlights this man’s plans to use reflected signals from ham radio operators to pinpoint the flight path. His overwhelmingly pompous and condescending tone throughout the interview should have been enough to convince me, but I’m clearly not as smart as him and decided to do some digging and after about 5 minutes came to the conclusion that darts thrown at a board reflect about the same level of accuracy as his ‘calculations’. Not to mention he needlessly throws in several loaded statements about the pilot and the Malaysian government that tells you everything you need to know about his predispositions. But who cares, he’s got survivors’ families hooked on the theory and demanding new search efforts (not really a search though since we’ve just proven exactly where it is, right?), and let’s also just ignore the fact that the area he’s identified has already been mapped/searched.

Oh and if you don’t figure it out yourself, the ‘bombshell’ they keep alluding to is that the plane entered a “holding pattern” at one point near the middle of the flight, except it really doesn’t look like a holding pattern at all (try and make sense of where the holding fix would be given the path flown) and looks a lot more like direct evidence that his method doesn’t work in the slightest.

I just stumbled across this and I find this to be one of the more disgusting peacocking displays since the flight occurred, and frankly shame on CBS Australia for giving this even a breath of air. Curious if anyone else knows more about this.

I mean, his theory is as good as anyone's at this point. Who knows. Not that I think this is the miraculous conclusion the world needed per se, but eventually someone is going to figure it out.

I mean, his theory is as good as anyone's at this point. Who knows. Not that I think this is the miraculous conclusion the world needed per se, but eventually someone is going to figure it out.

This WSPR analysis that he’s talking about has essentially been disproven. Lots of good info in this Reddit thread, including two individuals commenting that appear to have disproven the technique on multiple occasions. Most of it goes over my head but they seem to know what they’re talking about, including multiple attempts to recreate his results with other flights using known position data.

Also, it would be great to figure it out and I’m sure we will eventually but is “ocean really big” not a valid enough explanation to why it hasn’t been found?

Also, it would be great to figure it out and I’m sure we will eventually but is “ocean really big” not a valid enough explanation to why it hasn’t been found?
That's exactly it. But just as KE007 was found years and years later when debris finally washed up in numbers and what not, eventually somehow we'll figure it out. Could be a decade or more, but one day.

must-have-seen-airplane-times-and-never-noticed-the-background-at-the-mayo-clinic-369795.jpg

Since (apparently) it’s been too long since anyone has talked about MH370, one accredited “expert” has a new theory that miraculously not a soul on the entire planet has thought of except for him. And oh by the way, its “guaranteed” to work, not a sliver of doubt. Check it out for yourself:

A new 60 Minutes Australia piece just published highlights this man’s plans to use reflected signals from ham radio operators to pinpoint the flight path. His overwhelmingly pompous and condescending tone throughout the interview should have been enough to convince me, but I’m clearly not as smart as him and decided to do some digging and after about 5 minutes came to the conclusion that darts thrown at a board reflect about the same level of accuracy as his ‘calculations’. Not to mention he needlessly throws in several loaded statements about the pilot and the Malaysian government that tells you everything you need to know about his predispositions. But who cares, he’s got survivors’ families hooked on the theory and demanding new search efforts (not really a search though since we’ve just proven exactly where it is, right?), and let’s also just ignore the fact that the area he’s identified has already been mapped/searched.

Oh and if you don’t figure it out yourself, the ‘bombshell’ they keep alluding to is that the plane entered a “holding pattern” at one point near the middle of the flight, except it really doesn’t look like a holding pattern at all (try and make sense of where the holding fix would be given the path flown) and looks a lot more like direct evidence that his method doesn’t work in the slightest.

I just stumbled across this and I find this to be one of the more disgusting peacocking displays since the flight occurred, and frankly shame on CBS Australia for giving this even a breath of air. Curious if anyone else knows more about this.
Good story, I have no idea if what he says could track an aircraft. I'll give him the benefit of doubt, everyone else is batting zero.

But where did he get all this data? Do HAM radio operators record everything their radio picks up? Simple static too? How long are those recordings kept?

Back