Gathering ADX Oral/Practical Materials

BeaconSlash

Hi all,

I'm trying to dig up study materials for the ADX Oral/Practical exam to study.

I have the ASA ADX Oral Exam guide, and of course all the federal documents.

I'm particularly curious about finding an AFM for commonly tested aircraft. That or really any other material would be great.

It's going to be a long while before I can attend a class of any sort, but it would be great to get a hold of the materials I could or would use regardless.

Would any recent dispatch school grads be willing to chat on the side about some stuff? Any input appreciated!

Thanks!

If you know what school you’re going to attend, I’m sure someone here can tell you what they use.

Honestly, though, the AFM isn’t needed for the oral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the reply. I don't know which school I will attend because of my schedule and how it needs to mesh with a class.

That said, it seems like Sheffield and IFOD are the only options that offer a 5 day in person option, so I'm leaning toward them. Jeppesen is a possibility too, but 2 weeks is harder to make happen.

Really, I'm open to materials from any school.

I'm quite surprised to hear don't need AFM for the oral. Figured that was integral to performance info for the flight planning portion.

When I got my cert in 2018, my school (Sheffield) was using the 727 aircraft. They were talking about going to the 737 soon, but don't know if they've migrated yet. You don’t need to pick up an AFM, you’ll have more PDFs and handouts than you know what to do with. You’ll use the equivalent of an AFM, but there’s no need to buy one. The ASA book is great, it uses the 737 (I believe).

Re Sheffield, I would only recommend the 5 Day option if you have solid aviation experience, ideally an instrument rating. It was an intense six months doing their distance learning and homework. They don’t mess around with due dates and all your wrong answers on homework must be corrected. If you haven't already - do the FAA written (knowledge test) before you start doing anything with the school. Sheppard Air is great for that. Good luck!

You dont need an AFM - most line dispatchers can go thru their entire career and never touch an AFM. Plus, the AFM only has certified performance (takeoff and landing performance), and the CDL. An operations manual has the operational performance data.

Ok, that's good. I thought an AFM was necessary to obtain performance data for the exam. Are ops manuals for aircraft more readily available for purchase then?

You’ll get all of that stuff when you get to class. There’s really not much you need to purchase outside of the FAR/FC and maybe the dispatch oral prep guide before you attend class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depending on the school you go to, you may have study materials included in total cost. When I arrived at IFOD for the 5 week program, they had provided a FAR AIM, CFR, Wx and Wx services books, in-house study guide, E-6B, and the ATP Oral and Written study books. Great content included.

What materials did you need to bring to the actual exam?

I'd be very interested in getting a hold of those.

What materials did you need to bring to the actual exam?

I'd be very interested in getting a hold of those.

Went to same school. I brought most of the stuff mentioned above except for the oral and written guides. Plus a pencil and a notepad for taking notes (you are going to want to do this when the examiner brings up something they think is important. They are not just there to examine you, there will be some teaching moments and they will like to see you taking notes). The "checkride" consists of an oral portion of Q&A and then you will do a full flight plan from start to finish. at IFOD they had a giant sized IFR high chart on the wall so you just use that. The instructor will provide the city pair and weather (taf and radar summary on a piece of paper) and then usually leave you alone to get it done.

Interesting. I thought you had to have full performance charts and such from an airplane manual or the like.

Interesting. I thought you had to have full performance charts and such from an airplane manual or the like.

That is true. If i remember right, IFOD provides you with a book that contains their mock op-specs, and the basic performance and w&b info for the 737. You will need all of that to complete the "full" flight plan. They have the government plates and the sids & stars on a shelf in the room that you will use in addition to the MEL/CDL manual. Your oral checkride may or may not include an aircraft with a restrictive MEL that you need to apply. But everything you are going to need will be provided to you by the school.

It would be best to just call the school you are going to attend to see what the will be providing so that you won't spend more than you have to. Some of my classmates at IFOD ended up having a couple copies of the FAR/AIM and ATP written test prep.

Back