Garmin 695/6 to debut...

kiloalpha

Not sure how many of you got an email on it, but this thing looks friggin awesome. Electronic approach plates, detailed WX and terrian and even a G1000 tilty knob to input stuff in, rather than pushing the rocker pad!

Garmin696email_01.gif

Garmin696email_02.gif

XM version is $3300, non XM is $2700

It's starting to look like these things are just like your typical computer.

There are two models.

The ones on the drawing boards, and the ones that will be obsolete in six months.

It's a pretty nice device, but I've got 99% of the same features on the AnywhereMap ATC for less than half the price, and that includes Wx.

It had some teething problems when it first came out, but Control Vision has been really, really good about support and updates.

Works as a nice driving GPS, too. :)

That looks cool and all but part of the appeal of the 496 was the size. We have it in an Air Gizmo panel dock under the Garmin 530 stack (read IFR certified ). It gives us XM weather and Radio, as well as a battery backup GPS if stuff gets hairball. But it doesn't take up all the space.

The bigger thing is cool and all; but where are you supposed to put it where it can be seen, and not block your (certified) instrumentation?

It fits pretty well on a yoke mount. I can't remember if we put a shot of it on there in the demo video or not, but it fits really nicely.

That looks cool and all but part of the appeal of the 496 was the size. We have it in an Air Gizmo panel dock under the Garmin 530 stack (read IFR certified ). It gives us XM weather and Radio, as well as a battery backup GPS if stuff gets hairball. But it doesn't take up all the space.

The bigger thing is cool and all; but where are you supposed to put it where it can be seen, and not block your (certified) instrumentation?

i take it you work or have Garmin connections?

It's a pretty nice device, but I've got 99% of the same features on the AnywhereMap ATC for less than half the price, and that includes Wx.

It had some teething problems when it first came out, but Control Vision has been really, really good about support and updates.

Works as a nice driving GPS, too. :)

How come the auto-only version of that HP gets Horrid reviews? What did the Anywheremap people do to make it not horrid? Just asking b/c i am pondering the idea of getting a car gps and i thought "well, why not get one that works in the air and in the car?"

Depending on how many features that thing has, you'd have to treat is as an EFB at a point. You get it out when you need it for things like approach plates and whatever, and put it away the rest of the time.

Depending on how many features that thing has, you'd have to treat is as an EFB at a point. You get it out when you need it for things like approach plates and whatever, and put it away the rest of the time.
That is what SHOULD happen, but probably not what WILL happen.

I won't lie, the 496 is way more accurate than the 530 and has way more functionality, I think I told you I discovered the "Sink Rate, Pull up" warning last week. But it just isnt legit.

3 grand? Are you out of your mind? Do you have any idea how many Yuenglings and BK Stackers that will buy? I don't have a GPS, and I've yet to get lost (and not for lack of trying). How about you send me the $3k and I'll send you a very expansive tutorial on HOW TO USE A MAP.

3 grand? Are you out of your mind? Do you have any idea how many Yuenglings and BK Stackers that will buy? I don't have a GPS, and I've yet to get lost (and not for lack of trying). How about you send me the $3k and I'll send you a very expansive tutorial on HOW TO USE A MAP.

good stuff

the 3k is in the mail

How come the auto-only version of that HP gets Horrid reviews? What did the Anywheremap people do to make it not horrid? Just asking b/c i am pondering the idea of getting a car gps and i thought "well, why not get one that works in the air and in the car?"

Dunno. Works fine for me. The A/C is out on my car, so it got a little hot this afternoon driving back to AUS from Wharton, TX.

Back