Future of post 9/11GI Bill

Out of curiosity, assuming I already have a VA GI Bill authorization to use for a certain ATP/CTP course this fall, I shouldn't be concerned with not getting re-imbursed, correct? It's not that big of an issue, as I already paid for it, but the extra $5000 would sure be useful during my transition out of the military next year.

This bill won’t pull funding unless you are going over the annual cap of $13500 and most atpctps are in the 5-7k range

Going to flight school on the GI Bill? The House just passed a bill that could affect you.

"Leaders from the nonprofits Veterans of Foreign Wars, Student Veterans of America, Veterans Education Success and Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors backed the bill, which would, more broadly, reform the way service members are prepared for civilian life after the military."

Thats crazy. Everyone that I have called about this has all shrugged it off. Even the representative offices from my state that cosponsored the bill well before the last minute change was introduced didn't seem to care about it.

The public institutions already have a cap set at the FAA minimums for a rating. Every article or story seems to ignore that. What are the veterans supposed to do when they burn through their 18 months of benefits when they have multiple upcoming semesters?

Going to flight school on the GI Bill? The House just passed a bill that could affect you.

"Leaders from the nonprofits Veterans of Foreign Wars, Student Veterans of America, Veterans Education Success and Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors backed the bill, which would, more broadly, reform the way service members are prepared for civilian life after the military."

Thats crazy. Everyone that I have called about this has all shrugged it off. Even the representative offices from my state that cosponsored the bill well before the last minute change was introduced didn't seem to care about it.

The public institutions already have a cap set at the FAA minimums for a rating. Every article or story seems to ignore that. What are the veterans supposed to do when they burn through their 18 months of benefits when they have multiple upcoming semesters?

Fact is veterans and veteran groups like MOAA don’t pull nearly the weight they think they do politically.

The people that should be calling these politicians all work in officers with big words printed in the lobby like Delta and US Airways.

Standard for DoD lately (or I guess VA as an extension of that). There will be no benefits left for service members in 20 years, as the feds nickel and dime us to death. Talk a big game about supporting vets all you want, but when I have a TDY related (actual work related) $80 expense that gets denied and have to pay out of pocket, while we spend billions on stupid stuff, one might also wonder less why the military has a retention problem.

I fail to see how this is surprising to anyone. Gone from the private sector are pensions and decent healthcare, now replaced by the gig economy and "I can only get 28 hours a week at the auto parts store, anymore I'd be full time and they'd have to give me benefits". All this aided by our current political situation who "likes people that weren't captured". Why would the military, the last bastion of large social programming and provider of upward mobility survive the privatization and cutting down of our benefits earned of hard work and sacrifice. Meanwhile military members will continue to vote R, just like all those farmers did that are now scratching their heads trying to figure out how to make ends meet on a 12 billion dollar rescue package after "losing" their two largest markets. The military is not immune from idiocracy in action, and no one is immune to voting against their own self interest for decades and being surprised by what they get on the other side.

Last edited:
https://www.cbo.gov/system/files?file=2018-07/hr5649.pdf

More clarification upon allocated spending. Clarification as in ambiguity. Good thing Im supposed to sign a lease in 3 days near a public school where ill be paying for flight, when I could just be living at home and going to this private school while off setting my flight loans with my housing allowance. I have to make this decision not knowing what will happen.

Does currently enrolled mean previous semesters or does that apply to people starting this fall that are enrolled in the upcoming semester? Would really like some updates and this is stressing me out entirely.

I didn’t think you could use GI Bill for PPL anyway? Or is it you can’t use it for JUST a ppl?

Speaking from experience - Zero to CFI including private and finished with an associates. All using the Montgomery GI Bill. The real kicker is that it was part 61 too! Then used Post 9/11 for the bachelors.

The GI Bill is a phenomenal benefit and you could do almost anything with it.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

I fail to see how this is surprising to anyone. Gone from the private sector are pensions and decent healthcare, now replaced by the gig economy and "I can only get 28 hours a week at the auto parts store, anymore I'd be full time and they'd have to give me benefits". All this aided by our current political situation who "likes people that weren't captured". Why would the military, the last bastion of large social programming and provider of upward mobility survive the privatization and cutting down of our benefits earned of hard work and sacrifice. Meanwhile military members will continue to vote R, just like all those farmers did that are now scratching their heads trying to figure out how to make ends meet on a 12 billion dollar rescue package after "losing" their two largest markets. The military is not immune from idiocracy in action, and no one is immune to voting against their own self interest for decades and being surprised by what they get on the other side.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I think you missed my point. We aren't cutting anything in terms of the bottom line on the DoD budget.....the only things we are cutting are the exact things that actually matter to service member Joe Smith and his family. I'm certainly not surprised that benefits are being trimmed, but the purpose for that *in my opinion* is not just to simply align with the private sector norm.....it is to fund ridiculous stuff that we don't need.......and by that I'm not even talking about the big ticket headline items, I'm talking about billions of dollars every year in what could only truthfully be described as fraud/waste/abuse when it comes to smaller contracts.

You're not wrong that there are members of the military, probably even a slight majority when taken as a whole, who vote R. But keep in mind that we are a cross section of America, and there are vast amounts who don't vote that way.

Back