Furlough Advice...

ClearedForOption

Psychiatric Help 5¢
So, after my 3 hour sit in the F-Trash crewroom at ORD listening to all of the DOOM & GLOOM - and doing some math, it looks like my number is going to be up sometime around December or January and I will be back out on the street again - on Furlough #2.

So far, I've updated my resume - and sent it out to anyone who is hiring. (if anyone knows an internal recommendation at Compass so I can snag an interview, well... there's not enough beer on the earth to be bought to show my gratitude) I've been working on my finances with my wife trying to prepare... (although, we can't be debt free by F-Day, cutting back now will hopefully help the hit when it comes) and also thinking about wearing a stripped down FO uniform minus the wings to the unemployment line.

But, seriously, I am looking for some solid advice to prepare for furlough #2...

In general, how would you prepare? Specifically, if I can squeeze some WIA funds out of the gov't what type rating should I try for? 737, Citation Jet???

Thanks.

But, seriously, I am looking for some solid advice to prepare for furlough #2...

In general, how would you prepare? Specifically, if I can squeeze some WIA funds out of the gov't what type rating should I try for? 737, Citation Jet???

Thanks.

You already started doing the right thing by getting your resume together and applying to jobs. Call up friends/family/relatives/etc. and see if they know of any jobs or could even recommend you for a job. I don't know why everyone wants to go to Compass?

Start saving up some money if you can, and if you are on furlough without a job, set aside some money that you can use for interviews and expenses, such as hotel, rental car, etc.

Once you are actually furloughed, you need to go to your local unemployment office inquire about Unemployment Insurance. You will usually receive UI benefits from the state where you were based at. The amount of weekly UI benefits depends on the state and how much money you earned in the past.

If you are looking at getting WIA funds, you need to talk to your local unemployment office. They might have you go to an Orientation, where they will explain eligibility requirements, required paperwork, etc. The amount you can receive varies by state, sometimes even by county. Some states won't give you any money. These days, most states are limited on funds. I was able to secure $2000 in my state, while another co-worker got $6000 in Michigan, while another didn't get anything and got laughed at in Florida. Again, it depends on your state of residence. Talk to you local unemployment office.

Get your helicopter license. I guess they need a new pilot out there. ;) You'd be a shoe-in for that role...I mean job.

Let's see... in reverse order:

What airline is this?
...it's a certain PHX based airline that is going to send me to the curb again.

You'd be a shoe-in for that role...I mean job.
...unfortunally my wife doesn't agree - she's deathly afraid of helicopters.

Get the furlough beard ready
...actually, the last time I was furloughed, after lamenting for a bit, I ended up using the time to get back into great shape. (gym every day for 4 months/3 hrs a day) I'll probably do the same this time if I can't find anything else.

I don't know why everyone wants to go to Compass?
...Well, I don't know why everyone else does, but I've always wanted to move to Compass. (just building up my multi/jet time to their mins)
It's been my goal to work for D'west - at least they have been my 1st choice since I started this aviation adventure. (other than one overseas carrier, which won't be hiring for at least 2 years)

Good luck man...
Thanks...

Everyone wants to go to Compass on the off chance you can get stapled to the end of the DL seniority list.

Hopefully they realize that the chances for that lie somewhere between slim and none.

I don't get it either. Their pay scales leave an awful lot to be desired for flying an E175. It kinda amuses me how everyone thinks Republic is the devil for what they pay under an old contract, yet nobody ever says a word about Compass paying peanuts under a current contract.

I wouldn't go to an airline because they have a flow through. You've got just as good odds working for Delta down the road going somewhere else. Depending on the wording of the flow through, you might even have BETTER odds. If they take X number of people per class from Compass and the class sizes are X + 20, well there's 20 more people in class from other airlines than from Compass.

From what I'm hearing, Delta is trying to spin Compass off into their own MEC right now. Not sure, but that COULD mean the end of the flow through agreement. With the "no furlough" clause in exchange for relaxing scope, they don't need the safety net as much.

Let's see... in reverse order:

What airline is this?
...it's a certain PHX based airline that is going to send me to the curb again.

You'd be a shoe-in for that role...I mean job.
...unfortunally my wife doesn't agree - she's deathly afraid of helicopters.

Get the furlough beard ready
...actually, the last time I was furloughed, after lamenting for a bit, I ended up using the time to get back into great shape. (gym every day for 4 months/3 hrs a day) I'll probably do the same this time if I can't find anything else.

...Well, I don't know why everyone else does, but I've always wanted to move to Compass. (just building up my multi/jet time to their mins)
It's been my goal to work for D'west - at least they have been my 1st choice since I started this aviation adventure. (other than one overseas carrier, which won't be hiring for at least 2 years)

Good luck man...
Thanks...

Is this your second furlough from the same "phx based airline"? I thought the last time they furloughed was after 9/11, shouldnt you be much higher on the seniority list if thats the case? Anyways good luck man, hope everything works out. Im also furloughed from the same company going on almost a year now...

I don't get it either. Their pay scales leave an awful lot to be desired for flying an E175. It kinda amuses me how everyone thinks Republic is the devil for what they pay under an old contract, yet nobody ever says a word about Compass paying peanuts under a current contract.

But DUDE, it's Compass! They have a flow through(back, don't forget flow back!) I'd work for peanuts (free) just to have a chance to maybe, possibly one day flow through to Delta!!!

Do I need a tag?:dunno:

Back