Fun?

wmupilot

So I'm going into the Aviation Flight Science program at Western Michigan this fall, and with about a week to go until I start (great timing, right?) I'm starting to second-guess myself just a little. Not that there's anything else I'd want to do, I have a tendency to struggle with classes that I'm not interested in (which would mean most other majors) and do really well in the ones I am (like aviation). But I'm just wondering whether, outside of flying, I'll have any fun at WMU.

I like the town and there's definitely a reputation as a party school. But is the flying going to get in the way of everything else? I like to drink now and again, not all that heavily, but I'd like to have the option, and at least be able to go to parties with alcohol at them. I'm kind of afraid of getting kicked out just from guilt by association. I also love going to sporting events, is that gonna be generally possible?

I guess I just want some reassurance that flying won't take over my entire life and ruin other opportunities.

So I'm going into the Aviation Flight Science program at Western Michigan this fall, and with about a week to go until I start (great timing, right?) I'm starting to second-guess myself just a little. Not that there's anything else I'd want to do, I have a tendency to struggle with classes that I'm not interested in (which would mean most other majors) and do really well in the ones I am (like aviation). But I'm just wondering whether, outside of flying, I'll have any fun at WMU.

I like the town and there's definitely a reputation as a party school. But is the flying going to get in the way of everything else? I like to drink now and again, not all that heavily, but I'd like to have the option, and at least be able to go to parties with alcohol at them. I'm kind of afraid of getting kicked out just from guilt by association. I also love going to sporting events, is that gonna be generally possible?

I guess I just want some reassurance that flying won't take over my entire life and ruin other opportunities.

I doubt flying will get in the way of fun stuff. It might every now and then, but there will also be slow times, with bad weather when you won't be flying at all.

Don't do anything too stupid at school. You probably won't get kicked out of school for drinking. I'd be more worried about getting a minor or DUI, both of which are completely and easily avoidable if you're not an idiot.:)

But seriously, have fun at school, and be happy you don't have to live in North Dakota for 4 years. :D

You will love Kalamazoo and WMU COA!!! I miss it all the time. Western is an amazing school and you will be happy you stuck with it. During my training I doubted if this was what I really wanted to a few times. But, I stuck with it and now I am so happy that I am doing exactly what I want to do and I have no regrets. There is a lot of fun stuff to do in Kalamazoo and a lot get involved at the school and the aviation college. It will grow on you fast I promise!!

I started off as an aviation major at the University of Central MO before switching majors. I can honestly say that aviation was one of the easier majors at the school, but it's possible your school will be different.

The aviation classes were cake compared to most of the classes I took for my biology degree. The most time consuming part will be studying for FAA tests and some stage checks, but you will probably not be overwhelmed with classroom stuff.

I think you will have more than enough time to party and live the typical college life. Have fun... it will probably be the most enjoyable time of your life.

I just moved in (transfer student) to a university with an aviation program and the only downside is that most of my classes will be filled by dudes so not very many chances to meet the ladies :)

Thanks guys. I figured I was probably working myself up for nothing, but you guys kind of confirmed it. I'm sure I'll love it, nothing is better than flying for so-called "school" :) Instrument training starts in 10 days!

Back