FTO for international students

Veloso

Hi guys,

I`m brazilian and i currently hold a PPL license acquired in Brazil. I`m considering to proceed to get the next licenses at USA, I`ve got in touch with a few schools out there but i would like to know your personal review/experience about them, and even suggestions of others good FTOs for international students in USA, preferable those which offer F-1 visa and prospects for a position as Flight Instructor after the conclusion of the courses.
  1. Phoenix East Aviation, FL - offer F1 VISA
  2. Pelican Flight Training, FL - offer F1 VISA
  3. Hillsboro Aviation, OR - offer F1 VISA
  4. Aerosim Academy, FL
  5. Flight Safety Academy, FL
  6. Epic Aviation, FL
  7. Treasure Coast, FL - possibility to rent the airplane for week long cross country flights during the CPL hour building
Already thankful,

Veloso

Hi Veloso,
being a CFI at Hillsboro Aviation I can tell you one thing, getting the experience of dealing with the weather can be three things. Fun, challenging, and frustrating.
If you plan on starting anywhere before April you will face some sort of delay due to weather if you decide for the PNW.
We have well maintained but old equipment(1970 Cessna 152, 1972&2000 Cessna 172 with the old 6-Pack, 1975&2002 PA44, Beechcraft C90 KingAir; A total of about 30 F/W aircraft + plus a few Helicopter), we have maintenance in the same building so if you have any issue or question it usually takes less than 5 minutes to get hold of one of the guys.
We have around 40 CFI and at any given time about 200 students on our main Campus, the two other locations include Troutdale and Prineville both in Oregon.
If you have any more questions about the programs we offer(part 141 and part 61) feel free to contact our admissions director Daniel Jones at (800) 345-0949 or via email flightschool@hillsboroaviation.com or send me a PM

Stefan

Hi Veloso,

Another school that you could look at is SAA International(Scandinavian Aviation Academy) in San Diego, California. They offer the F-1 visa to international students, on top of the M-1 visas that they normally offer. I did all my flight training and then worked for a year and half as a flight instructor at that school(I was an international student myself).

I had a great time at the school, both as a student and a flight instructor. A very professionally run school. We had plenty of students back them(approximately 150 at its peak), the majority of them being European and Chinese, but things have slowed down in the last year or so. They don't have as many students now. Just a lull governed by market forces. They have a fleet of C172's, C172RG's and BE-76 Duchess' for multi engine training. They have 3 G1000 C172's with the remainder coming with conventional 6 pack panels. All planes are well maintained.

From a weather perspective, it doesn't get any better since it's Southern California. In a year, you'd probably lose less than a month to weather related issues. Certain times of the year are good for IFR training in actual instrument conditions as well. And San Diego is a great city to live in.

It's been 2 years since I left the school. The F-1 visa program was introduced after that. Prior to it, they offered the J-1 visa. You can visit their website http://www.saaintl.com/ for more information. If you were to contact them, speak to Neni. She is in charge of all student affairs at the school. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. Cheers!

Vishnu

Hi Stefan and Vishnu,

I really appreciate your kind answer. I`m already in contact with the guys at Hillsboro and right now I`m writing to the SAA as well.
Apart of the school itself, what you guys think about the living and specially the living expenses at Hillsboro and San Diego? Do you have any figures about it to provide me?

Once again, thank you very much.

Best regards,

Thiago Veloso

SAA is in a place called El Cajon, which is around 15 miles east of downtown San Diego. Rents are slightly cheaper than what you would have to pay for accommodation in downtown San Diego or places closer to the beach. It all depends on what kind of accommodation you are looking for. You have the option of renting an apartment on your own or looking at renting rooms in a house with all other amenities provided. Rent could vary anywhere from $400-$1000/month(ballpark figures) depending on whether you are just renting a room or an apartment. Cost of living varies from person to person. Do they go out a lot, do they have a car, etc etc. Groceries/basic needs might come up to about $150-$200 a month for a single person. The school themselves have agreements with a couple of apartment complexes which are within 2 miles of the school, to rent out apartments to students. If I'm not mistaken, the European and Chinese students have rental expenses included in the fee they pay the school. Speak to the school though. They'd be able to provide you with more detailed information.

San Diego is a great place to stay in. Plenty of places to see and things to do while you're there. And it has great weather throughout the year. Nothing too extreme.

Last edited:
The rent around hillsboro is about the sam (340$ to 900$) again depending if you want an appartment for you or find people to share a house with. Almost all of our brasilian students group up and search for accomodation themselves.
The cost of living is about the same too. The school appartments are 600$ a month including utilities - no internet though.
Living in Hillsboro is pretty relaxed, but you will see a lot of weird stuff because of the close proximity to Portland. Quality of life is a whole different thing here though. Fresh air, surrounded by forrest and farmland. Temperature wise it is very versatile here, you will experience a temperature range from -13C to +42C .
If you want to head to the beach on those hot days it's about an hour away. Long story short, if you like rural lifestyle, hillsboro is perfect ;) - on facebook you can find a group i think called hillsboro aviation brasil or so...they might be able to tell you more.

Hello to everyone,

I have EU PPL and I'm currently planning my trip to US as an international student on F-1 visa. I'm also considering joining one of the flight schools mentioned above. Can anyone provide me with some recent reviews of Hillsoboro Aero Academy (HAA) and Scandinavian Aviation Academy in San Diego(SAA)? Especially, what's the chance for international student to get a job/do an internship as a CFI in each school? And overall, how does the training look like form the foreign student's point of view? I'd be very grateful to anyone who has any information on this matter particulary regarding SAA

Thank you a lot,

Michal

Hi Michal

I have been in Aviation for more than 10 years. I was also a foreign student when I started in USA as a Student Pilot.
PPL is perfect time to start with your training towards FAA Commercial pilot certificate. I can guide you through the process.
Yes, you can do CFI as well after that which is an extremely thorough training requiring strong knowledge on all subjects you would teach to your students along with flying skills.
Please don't fall for Accelerated training programs advertised by most flight schools. These programs have been questioned by FAA and are being brought to a stop as they compromise safety.
As far CFI job is concerned, you will have to check out with flight schools. Make sure that visa allows you to legally work in US which is usually M-1 visa. I can help you through the process.

You can email me on info@skystaraviation.com for more details.

Good Luck!!

Back