FSDO and 8500-7

dpgtime

Can I go to the local FSDO and get an amended medical with no restrictions if the 8500-7 is fully completed and qualifies me for a unrestricted medical?

or do I have to send it to the CAMI or get the medical from an AME?

Get a medical with no restrictions for what? Were they color vision restrictions? Distant vision restrictions? Near vision restrictions?

When was your last medical and what class do you want?

colorvision restrictions. I would like a 3rd class medical (mine expires in 2 years) with no restrictions...Should I pay extra and get a 1st class?

Here is how it works:

If you fail the pseudoisochromatic color plate test at the time of your FAA physical exam, the aviation medical examiner (AME) may issue your medical certificate with the limitation “Not valid for night flying or color signal control.” To have the restriction removed, you may choose to take one of the FAA-approved alternate color vision tests (Keystone, Dvorine, Titmus, FALANT, etc.). If you successfully complete the alternate test, you will be considered as having acceptable color vision for the FAA. You will need to take a color vision test each time you reapply for a medical certificate. I suggest you try to take the same test that you previously passed each time you reapply.

If you cannot pass one of the alternate tests, you have another option that requires taking an operational color vision test (OCVT) at the flight standards district office (FSDO).

For third class medicals: If you cannot successfully complete an alternative color plate test, you will be required to pass an operational color vision test (OCVT). This test has two components:
(a) A signal light test administered at an airport air traffic control tower; and
(b) A practical test in which you must read and correctly identify colors on aeronautical charts.
Upon successful completion of both elements of the OCVT, the aviation safety inspector will issue a letter of evidence and a medical certificate with the limitation “3rd Class Letter of Evidence.”
If you fail the signal light test portion of the OCVT during daylight hours, you will be able to retake the test at night. If you pass the nighttime test, your medical restriction will read, “Not valid for flights requiring color signal control during daylight hours.” If you cannot pass the OCVT during day or night hours, the restriction will read, “Not valid for night flying or by color signal control.”

Important note: If you fail the daytime signal light test, you will not be eligible for either first or second class medical certification, may not be issued a letter of evidence, and may not have the limitation modified or removed.

You do not take the 8500-7 to the FSDO. If you passed an acceptable alternative color vision test, the AME may issue an unrestricted medical certificate. You must take the alternative color vision test each time you take the medical though. Find an AME with the test you can pass, that will decrease your costs.

I took the Titmus 2A, passed and the Optometrist filled out a complete 8500-7...I should then take this to the AME and I should receive a unrestricted medical after passing the other facets of the medical exam..correct?

The AME should accept the 8500-7, send a copy with your completed medical to OKC documenting where the test was done and issue the medical. Some AME's are not comfortable doing this and may defer the medical, send the 8500-7 along with the completed 8500-8 to OKC for their review.

Back