From radio to hopefully aviation... but to what level?

gibby

First post! Been browsing around here for a few days btw. This looks like a great place to save myself some heartaches and learning the hard way thanks to the experience you folks have to offer. Okay, now to the point...

I'm 26. Have a 4 yr degree from a UT campus, been working 4 yrs in my studied field (radio broadcast) and am looking to get out. People often get where I am and never move on. I don't plan on wasting away here. Have about decided it's time to live out a life doing a job I enjoy - I mean, I've got a good job that pays pretty well, but I want to a job that doesn't feel like a job. Indulge in a passion, you know? (read: SICK of having to call pop music "today's best music")

At first I had my eyes set on ATP Arlington for a few good reasons, but after looking into the unstable airline industry, I've decided it may not be worth my while to dive into $60k of debt.

I have 0 flight time, just serious interest and passion for everything aviation since I was in diapers. I'm in a situation where I can definitely pursue the dream.
My question is, what's available to folks that don't want to fly airlines but want to fly for a living?

I have 0 flight time, just serious interest and passion for everything aviation since I was in diapers. I'm in a situation where I can definitely pursue the dream.
My question is, what's available to folks that don't want to fly airlines but want to fly for a living?

Ag flying, instructing, charter, private owners, military, law enforcement, air ambulance - the list goes on. Visit a few airports, get that first hour, and take your time before you make any big decisions.

funny you bring this up... I used to ride a cable car from my apartment in Nob Hill (SF) down to the Hyatt Regency where I performed a happy hour 3 days a week. Some days I didn't wan't to go to work there! That was where I learned that everything is a job, once you have to show up on schedule and deliver under a contract or agreement. I worked for Metro Networks as a traffic reporter and wrote news and a few features. I had to choose between flying and radio and decided I wanted to fly. I have enjoyed it all, but this is still a job, and sometimes you have to do something you don't want to do....more than just sometimes!

Cool. Just wasn't aware there was so much opportunity beyond the airlines. Working in the airline industry just doesn't interest me much.

Traffic reporter sounds like a pretty cool gig too, Bumblebee.

Well, here comes the big fog of negativity. Been flying since 2002. Instructed for 2 years. (sucks....bad) Got hired on by a regional, go canned 2 weeks later. (oil hit $120 a barrel). Got a "corporate" gig, lost that job after a year.(they sold the plane) Got another corporate gig, lost that another year later.(they sold the plane)

The last layoff was 6 months ago. I had a baby 2 weeks after I lost my job. :) $1500 cobra payments a month to keep my "benefits" (PS you'll be lucky to find a lot of jobs with benefits outside of large corporate flying and airlines) I'm getting out of aviation. A JOBS A JOB. They all suck after some time. Trust me. Flying is a very stressful job too my friend. Especially if you fly single pilot. You can't show up to work and cruise through your day nursing a hangover from that awesome weekend you had (cause you'll probably never get weekends off for the first 10 years of your career).

Look. This is just another story from a jaded pilot who's not had the best of luck with the world of flying. Some people have it great. I couldn't be happier for my friends that have had it good with flying.

Also. The biggest issue for me is having a family. This industry is set up for single people who don't give a crap about being home or moving a lot. I would have to say that starting a family during that time was poor planning on my side. But I don't want a career that defines when I have kids. I really hated hearing these things when I was coming up through training, but I really wish I would have listened to them now.

My advice. Go get your private and fly your ass off. Keep your real job and go make enough money to buy a jet. You'll be much happier. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Gibby,
Sounds like corporate is what you are looking for . . . I have a family, I'm home more than I'm away, but dont fly a ton. However, you will need to build up your hours, and pay your dues!
If your in central Texas Georgetown is a great airport to fly out of . . . Best of luck . . . and what station can we hear you on.

BTW, I'm a former TV guy that changed careers!
(Face for radio, voice for print)

First post! Been browsing around here for a few days btw. This looks like a great place to save myself some heartaches and learning the hard way thanks to the experience you folks have to offer. Okay, now to the point...

I'm 26. Have a 4 yr degree from a UT campus, been working 4 yrs in my studied field (radio broadcast) and am looking to get out. People often get where I am and never move on. I don't plan on wasting away here. Have about decided it's time to live out a life doing a job I enjoy - I mean, I've got a good job that pays pretty well, but I want to a job that doesn't feel like a job. Indulge in a passion, you know? (read: SICK of having to call pop music "today's best music")

At first I had my eyes set on ATP Arlington for a few good reasons, but after looking into the unstable airline industry, I've decided it may not be worth my while to dive into $60k of debt.

Wow, sounds like my experience. Went from being a morning show host to pilot, flew for a couple years then got out.

This is ironic. I'm an airline pilot that would love to work in radio.
Fly if you want but the first thing I would do is get out of Jackson then make a decision if I wanted to leave it all behind.

Back