From minors to minors?

N209JW

I recently got out of Professional baseball, and am going to pursue an aviation career. People tend to jump ahead and say, I want to be a 777 capt, but that is a long shot. Its possible, but Ill aim for the moon for now, and if I get the stars, that will be amazing. Anyway, I have no flight time, but have been up in 172's and a few others over the years. I read, pc sim, read, watch, and breathe aviation. It is the life for me, and I am going to do it. I am currently enrolled in a ground school at a local junior college, where I go fly at a local flight school. I am considering the four year degree at an aviation based university program, but I fear this route might take longer than I envision. Would an ATP school be a solid choice while I chip away at school? I would love the lifestyle of a regional pilot, hotels, crummy cities etc. I have live that life in minor league baseball for the past 6 years. Im 26 by the way. I need roughly 2 more years to achieve a degree. Im lucky that I'm starting somewhat younger than say 36, so I feel the need to start asap.

Any information would greatly be appreciated. I am so excited to step into the world of aviation. I am devoted to this line of work and would put 100% time, money and study to achieve success. -Joe

Hey Joe -

First, welcome to Jetcareers; I think you'll find that it's a great place to help you network as you make your career change and get questions answered. I encourage you to read through as many of the career change threads as you can bear; your questions about whether to go to a small FBO vs. major flight school are a very common concern for career changers, so you'll find a variety of opinions on that subject have already been posted. Everyone's situation is unique, so ultimately you can only decide for yourself, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of new perspectives that might shed light on considerations that you may not have thought of.

That said, I'm a career changer, too. I made the decision to switch from environmental engineering to aviation in early 2002. I had already been flying as a student pilot and private pilot for about 2 years. If you discount my years as a flight instructor (which we shouldn't, because flight instruction IS professional aviation!), I completed the career change last summer when I landed my "dream job", my first full time corporate piloting position. So I guess you could say it took about 6 years for me to reach my career change goals, even though it only took a little over a year to get all of the certificates required to fly professionally.

I got my private certificate at a small mom and pop style FBO, then went to a large aviation school for my instrument, commercial, multi-engine, and initial CFI certificates and ratings. I went back to a mom and pop FBO for my CFII. For me, the larger school environment worked very well and was very rewarding. Did I need to go to a larger school to get the certificates quickly? No, absolutely not. I got good training from both school types - if you do your research and make an intelligent, informed decision, you will do fine with either a large or small school. The right small FBO can easily and happily handle an accelerated training schedule, if that's the way you want to do it.

The best advice I can think of is that in this economic climate we are currently in, I would strongly advise against taking out loans and putting yourself into major debt just to complete your ratings quickly, regardless whether it's for a large or small school. Take your time, give yourself the opportunity to learn the information well, and skip an aviation related degree...you won't need it for any pilot job, corporate or airline. Instead, get a degree that you can use as a back up in case you need to supplement your income later during downturns in the industry.

Hey Joe -

The best advice I can think of is that in this economic climate we are currently in, I would strongly advise against taking out loans and putting yourself into major debt just to complete your ratings quickly, regardless whether it's for a large or small school. Take your time, give yourself the opportunity to learn the information well, and skip an aviation related degree...you won't need it for any pilot job, corporate or airline. Instead, get a degree that you can use as a back up in case you need to supplement your income later during downturns in the industry.

Well if he is coming out of professional baseball, I doubt he will be needing loans. I just graduated with an aviation degree and right now agree with Airmet, I feel as though it is somewhat useless. Don't get me wrong I learned a whole lot but in the end, it really doesn't matter as much as your total time, who you know and the economy.

Thanks for the input, it really helps. Thanks for your time as well. I will start reading the other posts till I fall asleep. Until later...
Joe

You will learn alot by hanging around here and ASKING questions that you cannot find the answers to.

May I ask, why did you get out of baseball? Injury?

Well if he is coming out of professional baseball, I doubt he will be needing loans. I just graduated with an aviation degree and right now agree with Airmet, I feel as though it is somewhat useless. Don't get me wrong I learned a whole lot but in the end, it really doesn't matter as much as your total time, who you know and the economy.

Unfortunately, that's probably not true, unless he was drafted and signed a lucrative contract even for the minor leagues. Most minor league players rival regional jet FOs in pay, and in crappy working conditions, however if you are one of the chosen few (there are only around 7-800 major league players), you can score big.
minorleaguebaseball.com said:
Minor League Baseball player contracts are handled by the Major League Baseball office. Here are the salary ranges:

First contract season: $1,100/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation

Alien Salary Rates: Different for aliens on visas--mandated by INS (Immigration).

Meal Money: $20 per day at all levels, while on the road

That said, your post about minors to minors is about right.... you're going to be putting out a chunk of cash to learn, and then more than likely get a low paying job to start. However, if you NETWORK you can score bigger earlier. I know of an FO at my company with 2000 hours who just left her $25.73/hr first year CRJ-900 paying job for a position as FO with XOJet in Dubai, starting at around $84,000. Phew!

I dont have any advise for you for at the moment. Because i am not a pilot yet and am still in high school. I can however wish you the best of luck in your aviation career. Hopefully we see each other in the sky some day.

First contract season: $1,100/month maximum.

That makes RJ FO pay look glamorous.

I have a buddy that is playing in his second season of independent this year. Last year he make 800/month (pre tax). This year is a little more, but not nearly enough to live on. He says he's out of the game after this season if he doesn't get signed by a big league club (in the minors making ~900 a month).

Unfortunately, that's probably not true, unless he was drafted and signed a lucrative contract even for the minor leagues. Most minor league players rival regional jet FOs in pay, and in crappy working conditions, however if you are one of the chosen few (there are only around 7-800 major league players), you can score big.

That low huh, I stand corrected.

I was released after 6 seasons with the Seattle Mariners. I think it was a blessing in disguise. because I was getting sick of the baseball side of things.

If I was you, I'd seriously look at a state school that has a good sports medicine or sports management program, and find a good FBO near there. Get your ratings done, and by the time you are in your last year of school try your hardest to get an instructing gig at that FBO to pay your bills. In the end you'll be in the same spot hours wise as going to the aviation colleges, with a heck of a lot less debt. Plus if the flying thing doesn't work out you'll have a degree in something that you have experience in that isn't flying airplanes.

I was released after 6 seasons with the Seattle Mariners. I think it was a blessing in disguise. because I was getting sick of the baseball side of things.

Being a baseball fan...I think this is pretty cool. What position did you play? Were you playing for the Mariners or in the farm system?

And, good luck on your dreams! Anything is possible and I'd say you're on the right track for where you want to go.

I played all levels of the minor leagues, and was on the 40 man roster for a year. I was close, playing in Tacom WA, and loved every minute of it, since we flew almost every five days. I spent most of my time off the field collecting 1/400 scale planes as my side hobby, and was white knuckled at the fenceline at all Boeing fields.(Renton, Everett and king field). God I love the 757. Thanks for your input.

I want to get a degree and learn to fly at a school where I can bang out all the ratings. A pilot with Express Jet that I know has given me some advice, to do one or the other at a time. Both school and flight training at the same time can be too much on ones plate. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on the web or even this site, of where to look about the best 4 year degree in aviation. There are numerous degrees in the aviation world, and thats the path I want to take. Someone in the above posts mentioned getting a degree in something else, but there is no other field I care about. I want to fly commercial aircraft, corporate etc. If I get booted from the cockpit one day, or don't make it at all, I want to work in the field of aviation whether that be a mechanic, airport ops or ATC. I really want a degree to get into a Capt seat down the road. Please help me find the material I need to read on for a good school. I live in San Diego, and I have some funding through Major League Baseball to help pay tuitions. Thanks.

That's pretty cool. I'm sure the last thing you want to talk about on an aviation board is your past employment with the Mariners, but it was the only team I ever liked to go see play (after they blew up the old field.)

Let us know what other questions you have so that we can help.

Paul

Back