From Canada to North Carolina - Finally Starting

parmandjack

Hi All,

It took me a lot longer than I had thought, but I'm finally back in the US. I left from Calgary Alberta, Canada, and am now down here again in Raleigh North Carolina (man did I forget how bloody hot an sweaty it gets down here !!!) . The move was terrible... we'd budgeted $8,000 dollars for the move, but everything that could go wrong...did... now, our moving costs amount to just over $32,000.... medical bills for our dog whom the kennel in Sanford NC did their very best to kill... long story.. SO.. I contacted ATP here at Raleigh Durham International Airport to begin my path... BUT, I decided that I didn't want to lock in to their plan for $57,000 and 5 months, considering I've got to feed my 4 kids and wife.:rolleyes:.. nor will they do it piecemeal... SO, I went and interviewed another FBO right beside them on the international strip... they are called FlightGest... and BOY am I happy! My instructer is a 40 year flying vet with almost 6000 hours, 3000+ of those are as a full time flight instructor... my second instructor there who I'll also be learning from also has over 5000 hours, 1500 of which is as a full time flight instructor, and he is ex-US Airforce pilot with C-130 hercules (my dream plane :p) - ALSO, they have 4 Cessna 172's that are BRAND NEW and ALL GLASS !!!! sweet... they also have a 182 turbo with air... later....

SO, this last few days I've been jumping throught the new FAA/Homeland Security/TSA security requirements to get approval to take flight instruction. I passed in all my info and docs, got approved by the school, paid my fee to TSA, and now just haveto get my fingerpriints done in the next couple of day and I'll be off and running..well.. flying :buck:.

Only drawback is that while FlightGest will give me PPL, IFR, CFI and CFII, they don't do dual, so I'll have to go to ATP for Dual and Commercial... oh well.... my wife and I have also come to terms with the cash outlay, so are ready to incur the costs... which means I'll be keeping my day job for the next year or so to pay...ach well.... gotta do wotcha gotta do right :D

Later guys.

congrats! looks like you got all you ##### together. :rawk:
i too decided against atp for my training and both me and my wallet are loving the fbo route. good luck to ya

B: From Canada to North Carolina - Finally Starting

Welcome to USA,

I know what you mean about the heat. My brother-in-law lives by RDU and I was visiting in May and it was very hot then. I just completed my
CSEL and have started on CFI. Get used to studing and reading-you will be doing a lot of that. But your dream is to fly so it will come easy.

From the shores Lake Michigan,

Derek

@KMKG

parmandjack, With our current economy I admire the fact you are still going after the aviation dream . I have been juggling my dream with reality for the last couple months and still can't decide if its all worth it. Don't get me wrong I love flying but its hard not to notice what is going on in the world of aviation around us. :confused:

How do you find the motivation? I sure could use some right about now.

I wish you the best.

With our current economy I admire the fact you are still going after the aviation dream . I have been juggling my dream with reality for the last couple months and still can't decide if its all worth it.
Good question. He's got it planned out very well. Working while going to an FBO will allow him to get the ratings done and pay the day to day bills. Too bad more people didn't follow that model, could've helped them avoid a huge monthly loan bill.

I wish you the best.

I'd like to quote the great Doug Taylor...

This isn't a lot different than the environment between 1988 thru 1993 when I was at ERAU. Considering it took 3000 hours for a job flying right seat in a Navajo in those days, we're not even close to rock bottom yet.

But here's the good news.

For those that actually want to do the work and are patient, you're going to be just fine, shoot, I was. Patience, preparation, cut the sense of entitlement and you'll be fine.

But for those that want to be pilots, now, because MSFS is fun and "I hear chicks dig pilots", it's going to eat your lunch.

The industry will pick up. For those that stuck it out and didn't sell themselves like a cheap Laughlin, NV hooker will be in a position to capture the eventual 're-birth' of the industry. Those that panic, are impatient or carry an unrealistic sense of entitlement sculpted from a few years of "boom" and run off to actuary school will not.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

parmandjack, With our current economy I admire the fact you are still going after the aviation dream . I have been juggling my dream with reality for the last couple months and still can't decide if its all worth it. Don't get me wrong I love flying but its hard not to notice what is going on in the world of aviation around us. :confused:

I wish you the best.

Hi Jet Dreams.... what can I say to motivate you? I'm not sure, as our situations are most likely different. I previously owned my own aircraft 10 years ago, and had been working towards my PPL. On my 2nd solo flight however, I had a partial engine failure just after take-off. I managed to get it back on the runway (obviously as I'm still here).. but it left me very scared. I had a hard time after that, and with 50 hours under me and my cross-countries all done, I walked away from flying and the check ride as it wasn't fun for me anymore. The flying bug never left me though, and I kept thinking about getting back into it. A couple of years ago I realized I was over the hump during 2 back-to-back charter flights I sat on for work, and started thinking about getting back into it again... during this time though, my wife and I had 4 kids, with my oldest just turned 6, and my youngest at 8 months.... so I didn't pursue it as now I started thinking about them without a dad... (so morbid :p ) ... anyway, my wife said go for it, so I decided to do so, and moved down here (where it is cheaper)... NOW, given the downturn in the economy as you quite rightly noted, why would anyone consider doing this at this time... well, 2 reasons.... I think that after certifying and reaching the minimums, IF I got a job with a Regional I would only do it for a year or two to build experience, as I'd prefer to go the route of Corporate Pilot, or Charter.... as I wanna be home with my wife & kids as i'm a real home-body and my family are my best pals... alternatively, I'm also considering going the Instructor route instead of Corp or Regional...because... (and why I said at the begining that our situations were likely different) ... I'm not willing at this point to walk away from my job, as much as I hate it.... you see, I'm 45 years old, and earn a mid-6 figure salary, and I don't have to work very hard at all to earn it. I also basically call my own hours, and am home every day and weekend with the kids.... so given this fact, my wife and I plan on purchasing a twin engine Seneca II in the next year or so as we want to be a flying family.... BUT, my old fears still nibble at the back of my head...and the thought of taking all my kids and wife (or anyone) up makes me nervous.. SO, I'm going to get all the certs, build lots of time, gain as much experience as I humanly can given my advanced age for entry in to this profession, and learn to be the best pilot I can be. Buying our own plane for family fun will just let me get better and more experienced... THEN I'll fly as either an instructor or charter pilot part time to fulfill that "need" I seem to have to be in the aviation industry... IF a regional opp popped up for me, then as I mentioned, I'd prolly take it just to get more experience that I could then pass along to future students, as well as my own family flying... Like I said JEt, we're likely at different points in our lives, but thats my story Jet Dreams, I hope it explains and helps you.

Cheers, and all the best to you:hiya:

P&J,
Congrats on getting out of Calgary and down to NC in one piece. You made some good decisions for your family's future and I'm sure everything will work out very well in the end. If you miss snow this winter, call me and I will send you a big box of it :D

Cheers,
Bartman

P&J,
Congrats on getting out of Calgary and down to NC in one piece. You made some good decisions for your family's future and I'm sure everything will work out very well in the end. If you miss snow this winter, call me and I will send you a big box of it :D

Cheers,
Bartman

LOL - thanks bartman :D I'm actually missing it already !!!!... what my wife and I are SERIOUSLY missing.. is Timmies!!!! Man! Talk about withdrawals!!! :crazy:

We just moved to the Raleigh area too, we like it a lot but it is insanely hot right now. A/C is running almost 24/7 and that's with it set to 79 in the house. The wife is originally from Winnipeg and doesn't go outside at all :D.

We just moved to the Raleigh area too, we like it a lot but it is insanely hot right now. A/C is running almost 24/7 and that's with it set to 79 in the house. The wife is originally from Winnipeg and doesn't go outside at all :D.
Hiya Wheels... too cool! Are you Canadian too? Where did yo ujust moved to Raleigh from? I hear ya on the A/C and heat... we keep our house at 69 though, being from Calgary we tend to get used to the cooler temps... we stay indoors most of the time too.. and my two oldest boys (6 and 4) hate the heat and asking us when we're moving back to our real house in Calgary ! hahaha - are you flying professionally here in Raleigh, or do you have a "real" job ;-) and fly for fun?

We should talk about getting together for a coffee someplace..

Cheers.

Hi PJ,

If you are thinking about buying a twin and want experience to fly the family around in try making a contact with a local freight dog in your area. Ride along with him as much as you can. You will gain plenty weather flying experience you could possibly ask for. Go on the bad weather days. I don't know much about jets but I imagine the limitations and flight characteristics between a jet and a light twin are a big difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Ride out the chop water jet-dreams.

Hi PJ,

If you are thinking about buying a twin and want experience to fly the family around in try making a contact with a local freight dog in your area. Ride along with him as much as you can. You will gain plenty weather flying experience you could possibly ask for. Go on the bad weather days. I don't know much about jets but I imagine the limitations and flight characteristics between a jet and a light twin are a big difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Ride out the chop water jet-dreams.

hiya Splash... actually, I think your suggestion is a GREAT idea! Thanks!

I came to Raleigh from Virginia, I'm not Canadian. 69F man that's cold, I wouldn't want to see that electric bill!!! I fly "professionally" for now. I work at a regional.

Well... last night was the 1st time back up in the drivers seat... what a blast :nana2:

My instructor has 6500 hours, and over 3000 hours as an instructor, so I felt in good hands... he's an old guy, seems somewhat absent minded as he asked me the same questions a couple of times, but boy, he knows his stuff...

After walking me thru the pre-flight to familiarize with the 172, he got me to taxi to the runway... once on teh runway he sez go for it... so I hit the gas figuring he was assisting... he then sez let her fly, so I slowly pull back the yoke and look over at him and he's sitting with his legs under him and his arms folded across his chest... i just took off myself for the 1st time in 10 years....

We get vectored by ATC out of and around Raleigh-Durham heading to Sanford... All my prior training came back to me and I had the plane upto and holding our altitude all trimmed out in staight-and-level flight in no time.... My instructor sez to me.. "take your hands off the control wheel"... so I did... the plane didn't even wobble.. he sez good.. continue on... then he starts inundating me with all the intricacies of the Garmin 1000, the autopilot, etc.... Then he sez to me about 10 mins into it.. "I can tell you've flown a plane before".. WOW... I took that as a huge compliment, as I was really nervous not having done it for 10 years... Anyway, we fly over the Sanford strip, turn around and come in for a landing... I brought the plane in to land easy enough, but I started my flare too early and he pushed the yoke in to prevent me from doing that, then took his hand off again and let me land it... then he had me apply full power as he wanted a touch and go.. I wasn;t expaecting that... but off we went again and headed back to RDU.

On the way back he again told me to let go of the control wheel.. and again, with the plane all trimmed out, it didn't even wobble... he sez.. continue on... whew... I was starting to feel good about this flying thing :cwm27:

We got approved for a straight in approach and cleared to land... this time I lined it up, and brought it in for a pretty decent landing... I then realized how much I'd been focusing on landing it, and asked him how much he'd helped me... and his response was none... I then saw that his arms were folded across his chest like before... and it struck me that after 10 years, I'd just landed a plane unassisted!!! :nana2::D:rawk: TOO COOL!!!! Its like riding a bike!

So, now I've got LOTS of practise to do on landngs and everything else to get ready again for the check ride. Once we were back in the office my instructor told me that he thinks I'm gonna do real well... He said that according to my signed log book all my work is done, and those hours count, so he's just going to get me back up to speed and verify everything with me... SO, I'm shooting for mid-October to do the checkride (hopefully).

So.. adding last nights flight to my time from 10 years ago... I now have a whopping 53.3 hours hahahaha :p

Later gang.

Back