Friction in the cockpit

There was an accident years ago where a crew crashed because on the ground the PIC berated the FO so much that he didn't say anything during the flight even the required altitude callouts which caused them to crash short of the runway.

There was an accident years ago where a crew crashed because on the ground the PIC berated the FO so much that he didn't say anything during the flight even the required altitude callouts which caused them to crash short of the runway.
Which accident was that? I’m curious

I always like reading up on accident reports and investigations, I think it teaches us many many things, and more importantly to learn from the mistakes of others.

I hope captains like him are more a thing of the past. If any captains are still behaving like that today, they need to be kicked out of the cockpit by their management. These people always create huge problems. If they want to be THAT intimidating to their subordinates, maybe they should coach high school football, or be a prison guard or something. They don’t belong in the cockpit of any aircraft. I couldn’t imagine being so shutdown to the point of not giving required callouts on the approach.

I always like reading up on accident reports and investigations, I think it teaches us many many things, and more importantly to learn from the mistakes of others.

I hope captains like him are more a thing of the past. If any captains are still behaving like that today, they need to be kicked out of the cockpit by their management. These people always create huge problems. If they want to be THAT intimidating to their subordinates, maybe they should coach high school football, or be a prison guard or something. They don’t belong in the cockpit of any aircraft. I couldn’t imagine being so shutdown to the point of not giving required callouts on the approach.
We've got one that's been here probably 20 years that is awful. Company won't do anything, union doesnt seem to be much help. Hell he's a committee head.
Most insecure guy I've ever met to.

There was a recent incident, where a very large and heavy aircraft almost went off the end of the runway because the crew was arguing and the captain was not using proper CRM and they did not set up the aircraft properly or do any checklists. Any crewmember can take the initiative and attempt to steer the rest of the crew in a safe direction. There are plenty of different ways to do this and not be really obvious. It’s good to ponder it and practice manipulative distraction. It buys time and gets people off their fixation. Ask a crewmember to show you how to get the FMS to help, for example. Fight back with a complementary attitude toward safety. Distance your mind from the emotional aspect until the last checklist is done. Prioritize aircraft control.

Safety concerns should be worked out with Pro Standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a recent incident, where a very large and heavy aircraft almost went off the end of the runway because the crew was arguing and the captain was not using proper CRM and they did not set up the aircraft properly or do any checklists. Any crewmember can take the initiative and attempt to steer the rest of the crew in a safe direction. There are plenty of different ways to do this and not be really obvious. It’s good to ponder it and practice manipulative distraction. It buys time and gets people off their fixation. Ask a crewmember to show you how to get the FMS to help, for example. Fight back with a complementary attitude toward safety. Distance your mind from the emotional aspect until the last checklist is done. Prioritize aircraft control.

Safety concerns should be worked out with Pro Standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What airline was that? Beyond idiocy if any 121 airline is still getting a crew that aren’t doing checklists.

Tangential question that - if it needs its own thread, @SteveC or @MikeD will create...

For those of us on the outside looking in, is there consensus on some good 101 or 201-level reading on CRM out there?

Based on what I've seen on JC in the last 10 years, it seems like it's very much an OJT thing, but I'd like to know if there are some baselines.

Tangential question that - if it needs its own thread, @SteveC or @MikeD will create...

For those of us on the outside looking in, is there consensus on some good 101 or 201-level reading on CRM out there?

Based on what I've seen on JC in the last 10 years, it seems like it's very much an OJT thing, but I'd like to know if there are some baselines.

Tony Kern is a good (if not slightly polarizing) baseline to start learning about CRM. Honestly though, it's not very different than "getting along" in any other professional setting. If you have people skills and some level of EQ, you'll generally do just fine.

Back