Freight and National Guard Reserves?

aobt14

Hey everyone,

Would a company such as Ameriflight or Martinaire consider hiring an officer in the national guard reserves? If so, would that 1 drill weekend a month make it difficult to find someone to cover my route? I am considering a position, albeit a non-flying one, with a local unit and wanted to see how this would affect my future chances of getting hired.

Thanks

Pre
Hey everyone,

Would a company such as Ameriflight or Martinaire consider hiring an officer in the national guard reserves? If so, would that 1 drill weekend a month make it difficult to find someone to cover my route? I am considering a position, albeit a non-flying one, with a local unit and wanted to see how this would affect my future chances of getting hired.

Thanks
Pretty sure it is illegal to not hire Guard or Reserve peeps based on the fact that they may need to spend some time with the military from time to time.

It is illegal. But in my experience, most companies in this industry welcome military experience. The only thing to consider is that small companies, with less than 50 employees, are not obligated to retain your position in the event of a long-term mobilization. Freight companies like AmFlight would be fine in that case, but small corporate gigs would possibly put you in the unemployment line - for understandable reasons.

Most brown runs do fly on saturdays however as other said pretty much anybody is obligated to not take the service into consideration and we have and do now employ guard pilots.

Most brown runs do fly on saturdays however as other said pretty much anybody is obligated to not take the service into consideration and we have and do now employ guard pilots.

I don't know about that. All the runs I have done for UPS except for one had me ending on Friday.

Even had some Monday PM to Friday AM runs.

I'm a military reservist (non flying in the USAR) and 121 airline pilot. Little different, but yeah the company can't penalize or not hire you bc of your military service.

Couple things worth mentioning: the company is req'd to give you adequate travel times to and from drill, but you have to give them proper notice. The company does have the right to proportionately dock your pay for the days you are unavailable. Also, keep in mind if you deploy your job is ALMOST always protected in the company, but not your position. Example, they give your daytime out and back VFR freight run to someone else and instead your doing max duty day red eye overnights, or they put you behind a desk to punch a time clock.

USERRA are the regulations, and ESGR is the organization that protects a soldier's civilian employment...

Back