-=FREE=- Icing CBT

triplec76

I noticed the post about icing on the main page yesterday or so, and I thought this link deserved its own thread. You can get a free copy of "A pilot's guide to in-flight icing" from NASA. One of my current aviation classes actually tests its students on the material contained on the CD and it is an awesome resource for icing with tons of material and interviews from airline pilots using the Quicktime format.

Topics are broken down into three "modules". Preflight, In-flight and Emergency Ops. Some of the many topics include indentifying the different ice types (good for me since after almost 250 hours I still dont know what it really looks like), handling characteristics, avoidance, recovery, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend this interactive CD to everyone, especially since it is free. I think it took under 2 weeks to receive mine, and there is no better time than right now for everyone to be learning or brushing up on icing ops. The link is below.

http://icebox-esn.grc.nasa.gov/ext/education/cbt/cbt2-order.html

Cool. Thanks for the heads up I just requested a CD.
cool.gif

Ordered one myself.... I KNOW I KNOW.... I live in freakin' Florida.... which is exactly why I wanted to get one.
wink.gif

Just got me one.....that was the one think i felt i didnt get enough exposure to or talking about during my instrument training. I dont even know enough to make an educated go-nogo decision.....thanks for the tip.

No problem guys...I hope you and whoever else gets one learns something that will help in a bad situation. This is also a bump for anyone else who hasnt seen it.

Re: -=FREE=- Icing CBT. Just Got Mine

delivered in less than two weeks. what a deal, nothing beats free training material.

Good, glad to hear it. I thought thats about how long it took. It is definitely a quality piece of software, but after thinking about it, I guess it really isnt free. Everyone has already paid for it by paying taxes. Unfortunately, nothing is free.
smirk.gif

got mine the other day as well. pretty cool considering i didnt get a whole lot of traininig dealing with ice during the summer in virginia. Thanks for the tip.

Just got mine, too. Haven't run it yet but was kinda cool to see something addressed to me from NASA.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just got mine, too. Haven't run it yet but was kinda cool to see something addressed to me from NASA.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's pretty cool, I got mine the other day--my wife handed it to me and said, "Wow, you got something from NASA!"

kinda funny

Mine came today. I had forgot about it and thought maybe my astronaut application had finally been approved.......
cool.gif

Stan
Some of the nastiest Ice I've had was in Florida, Lots of warm moist air being propelled into the colder atmoshphere above and wham ... ice.
Remember that commuter flight coming from PR that had an upset because of severe ice.

I just finished it - It's great training material - I like the flight profiles they give you at the end of each module...

I'm of the opinion that if the folks at NASA can do something great like this, interactive, then why can't they, or even the FAA, have a CD version of their texts for general flying. Heck, I'd pay for that even, as the current stuff is very dry. It'd put Jeppesen and Gleim out of business most likely, but I think it'd be better to have everyone learn from the 'official' source rather than a commercially rewritten one because the gov stuff sux so bad.

BTW, I got my CD a couple days ago.

I bet the NASA folks are wondering why the rash of orders for this CD all of the sudden!
cool.gif

Back