Free food!!!!!!!

I can think of many things you can do with 20-50 dollars in dues per month as a regional FO. Especially if you don't see anything for your return unless you happen to be wrongly terminated.

Regional airlines get more out of ALPA then they put in.

Its one of the easiest investments out there for a regional guy.

A Colgan FO will get the same services as a Mainline Cappy that puts 10 times more into the system.

I can think of many things you can do with 20-50 dollars in dues per month as a regional FO. Especially if you don't see anything for your return unless you happen to be wrongly terminated.
Like many of your posts this one is profoundly ignorant. The benefits of ALPA membership are worth every penny of dues. Plus they're tax deductable so I can write them off at the end of the year which just makes it that much more worth it.

Even if the only thing ALPA did was help you if you were wrongly terminated (which is false, they do a lot more) it would still be worth 20-50$/month.

A Colgan FO will get the same services as a Mainline Cappy that puts 10 times more into the system.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - that's hilarious (especially the 3rd point)....thanks for starting my day with a laugh.

I'm very supportive of unions in general but ALPA, not so much. Maybe I'm just jaded. I worked for Allegheny (USAir wholly owned, represented by ALPA) during the RJ and J4J negotiations between us, Piedmont (USAir wholly owned, represented by ALPA), PSA (USAir wholly owned, represented by ALPA), and mother USAir (represented by ALPA) - how well did the regional FO's make out on that one?? How well did the "Mainline Cappy" make out on that one?? I couldn't even get anyone from the Union to call me back when I got furloughed from Midway but I wasn't paying dues yet so not too upset about that one. There were alot of people working hard in the union at 9E (ie PCL128) but the union in and of itsself was a joke - especially the senior leadership (this was during the WG reign). Of course, alot of the "MEM Flying Club" was a joke so I wouldn't expect much else.

I'm not big on ALPA (if you couldn't tell) but having ALPA is a million times better than having no representation so good luck in your organizing campaign!!

There were alot of people working hard in the union at 9E (ie PCL128) but the union in and of itsself was a joke - especially the senior leadership (this was during the WG reign). Of course, alot of the "MEM Flying Club" was a joke so I wouldn't expect much else.

I am sitting next to the PNCL MEC chair and the PNCL Comm chair as they are currently talking to our guys at Colgan on why we should join.

What you say about their current senior leadership is untrue today.

Different union than when you were there.

I am sitting next to the PNCL MEC chair and the PNCL Comm chair as they are currently talking to our guys at Colgan on why we should join.

What you say about their current senior leadership is untrue today.

Different union than when you were there.

Yep. With SE in charge, it's a whole different ball game then when WG was the chairman.

I can also think of a lot better things to do with the money I spend on car insurance, but I'm damn happy to have it if I need it.....

Nice event held by ALPA. I stopped by to talk to the guys and told them the FA's support them 100%. The food was good too! :)

WOW. This is great, we should crop this and put it up on all of our bulletin boards around the crew lounges. Everything that ALPA does needs approval from the big guys. A lowly regional pilot is at the bottom of the food chain, especially when they know how much you make. Why do you think most majors have either an in house union or are separating from ALPA all together.

No dude it's not just me. I've talked to groups of former ALPA members, I'm talking 10-20 years. They said "worthless", I'm not making it up. And these guys were making quadruple of what you're making.

And just how do you think they came to make quadruple what I make? How many airlines do you think they've worked for without a union? How many have YOU worked for without a union? You don't really know the value of something until you have to live without it.

Also, the "union" people seem to think is so worthless is only the elected pilots at your own airline. ALPA national has very little to do with any particular deal that goes on at the individual airline level. It seems to me that if you are upset with the way "ALPA" handles something, ELECT NEW LEADERSHIP.

......during the RJ and J4J negotiations between......how well did the regional FO's make out on that one??

Some made out pretty good. PSA ended up with large RJs and some Piedmont Captains ended up flowing to MDA and then mainline. It certainly wasn't a perfect deal, and ALPA learned some lessons from it, but it wasn't the screw job that so many of you like to pretend it was.

There were alot of people working hard in the union at 9E (ie PCL128) but the union in and of itsself was a joke - especially the senior leadership (this was during the WG reign). Of course, alot of the "MEM Flying Club" was a joke so I wouldn't expect much else.

You'll never catch me defending Wake, since I personally tried twice to put together a coalition to recall him (came sooo close on the second try, too), but the overall leadership was excellent, if I do say so myself. I'm looking at polling numbers right now from that time period, and all polls showed consistently a 90% approval rating of the MEC leadership. If you were unhappy, you were part of the 10%.

And as someone else pointed out, Scott is a completely different kind of leader than Wake. Anyone that isn't happy with Scott being Master-Chairman would never be happy. You're in good hands.

Everything that ALPA does needs approval from the big guys.

WRONG! But that seems to be a consistent theme from your posts. :rolleyes: The legacy carriers are now a minority within ALPA. The BOD and Executive Board are now dominated by the regionals and other smaller carriers.

Why do you think most majors have either an in house union or are separating from ALPA all together.

Again, WRONG! NWA, DAL, ALA, UAL, FDX, etc.... All ALPA. The only large network carriers that aren't ALPA are American, UPS, and USAirways. Both the IPA (UPS's union) and the APA (American's union) work very closely with ALPA and have services agreements with them to provide all the services that they can't provide themselves. uSAPa (USAirways' union) is imploding and they will probably be back in ALPA within a few years. When you look at major airlines that aren't international network carriers, you really only have JetBlue, AirTran, and SWA. JetBlue has no union at all, SWA has SWAPA, which works closely with ALPA, and the pilots at AirTran are screaming for ALPA representation and will probably hold a vote within a year. So much for your theory that the majors don't want ALPA. :rolleyes:

So when's the vote? Is there a time line? I'd be nice to see things moving along a little faster. We're way overdue. Will Alpa be back to EWR. I missed them twice already.

:panic:OT This is a great smiley!
Whooop pooop pooop pooop!!!!

Some made out pretty good. PSA ended up with large RJs and some Piedmont Captains ended up flowing to MDA and then mainline.

Umm, you and I might just have to agree to disagree about this. The question Jason asked was how did the FOs make out with the J4J deal and the answer is pretty badly. On the PSA side of the fence upgrade went from 2.5 years to 5 years, FOs got a 50 cent raise (you read that right) while captains got between $10 and $15. The seniority list was completly violated with the addition of slotted biding (which actually didn't scew over the FOs but rather all but the top 10% of captains) and the pilot group culture was, for a time, completly killed.

PDT didn't do much better, other than the few that moved up to MDA (and then back down to PSA somehow when the magically went from being CEL to APL).

I'd sure as hell hope ALPA learned something from it that they can use in the future, but for the pilots on the list (especially the FOs) it was not a well planned or thought out endevour.

You also need to keep in mind that J4J wasn't forced on anyone. Remember, several airlines refused to comply with the J4J provisions. It was up to each airline. But yeah, it wasn't a great deal for you guys. If the jets that were promised had actually appeared, then it might not have been so bad, but USAirways never intended to provide that many jets.

Anyway, we're off topic. Sorry, Seggy. :)

Will Alpa be back to EWR. I missed them twice already.

The vote will be determined when we get about 70% of our pilots to sign authorization cards for a vote. If you want some cards to hand out, PM me and I will get them to you.

ALPA will be back many times in EWR, IAD, LGA, and IAH as well as some outstations to spread the word. Stay tuned!

I tried to make it to the event but you guys had packed up and left about 15 minutes before I arrived, or so I was told by people in the crew room. Did any of the management stop in for the free meal and talk to anyone? or the RCP at least?

Back