Fox News covering Emergency landing at Van Nuys

Hckey2477

Once again, the news is covering a nose gear problem of a cessna 310. I wish the pilots luck in their situation. But once again, the discussions of the news crew always cracks me up.

They just have NO clue what they are talking about. When it came through they are like, "They will fly around for 2 hours to burn off the fuel." Hmmm 2 hours are you kidding me? Now they are like, "Its going to be much less then 2 hours and might be here in the next 30 minutes."

People do not realize how we train and why we train for these situations. But this situation really should be a non event.

lol. He Said. "It appears to me that their might be a wheel missing from the gear as well" (refering to the step) HAHA.

lol. He Said. "It appears to me that their might be a wheel missing from the gear as well" (refering to the step) HAHA.

Thats the training wheel...DUH! Didn't you know that all those little planes have training wheels. Only when the pilot doesn't need them any more is he allowed to fly a big airplane.

What flight school did you go to?

Total and complete :sarcasm:

He landed well before the displaced threshold, maybe this was on purpose to maximize the available runway. The plane came to rest just after the piano keys.

Also, he shut down both engines before touchdown and tried to bump the starters to level the prop blades and save the blades and engines, but they both struck the runway upon touchdown anyway.

If this ever happens to me (in a light piston twin) I probably wouldn't worry about trying to level the prop blades on short final unless there's another pilot on board to divide the workload. I'd cut off the fuel and pull the mixtures once landing was assured, but in my opinion I think it's inappropriate to try to mess with the props at such a critical phase of the flight. Engines and blades be damned, that's why airplanes are insured.

Mike

He landed well before the displaced threshold, maybe this was on purpose to maximize the available runway. The plane came to rest just after the piano keys.

Also, he shut down both engines before touchdown and tried to bump the starters to level the prop blades and save the blades and engines, but they both struck the runway upon touchdown anyway.

If this ever happens to me (in a light piston twin) I probably wouldn't worry about trying to level the prop blades on short final unless there's another pilot on board to divide the workload. I'd cut off the fuel and pull the mixtures once landing was assured, but in my opinion I think it's inappropriate to try to mess with the props at such a critical phase of the flight. Engines and blades be damned, that's why airplanes are insured.

Mike

:yeahthat:..I thought that looked a little late there to be messin with the props..but all in all it was a good landing.

Could that have been caused just by the wind? I recall doing a full feather shut down (restart), and by just pitching down we could restart the engines.

Could that have been caused just by the wind? I recall doing a full feather shut down (restart), and by just pitching down we could restart the engines.

It could be..It looked intentional but I don't know..Don't you have to have a sufficent airspeed to restart? I'd think they weren't going fast enough for wind to have any effect on it.

Was watching this while I ran, and two people stepped out of the plane when it came to a stop..I'm assuming the other guy was working with the props.

Easier to do when it's not your plane and you're not paying the insurance premium :)

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2cgqUFmBZY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2cgqUFmBZY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

If the props were not spinning, is the overhaul of the camshaft required? I remember it is required when they are spinning, but I don't know the other case. He was messing with the props right up to the last second, that was probably not very wise. Otherwise a nice landing. I wonder if by shutting the engines early he forced himself to land short of the threshold, if I remember correctly VNY is freaking long (hey, my home airport runway is 2500')

Back