Forces of a spinning toop

Airborne840

Just curious because this was a question that was on my army flight written test. They had three tops drawn. A skinny, medium and a fat top. The question asked which one will spin the longest? I assume it's the one with the least friction and chose the skinny one but was this the correct answer? Just curious if I answered it correctly!

Just curious because this was a question that was on my army flight written test. They had three tops drawn. A skinny, medium and a fat top. The question asked which one will spin the longest? I assume it's the one with the least friction and chose the skinny one but was this the correct answer? Just curious if I answered it correctly!

I would presume the fat top, because it possesses the largest amount of angular momentum, assuming the same initial rotational velocity.

I would presume the fat top, because it possesses the largest amount of angular momentum, assuming the same initial rotational velocity.

Yeah, way too many variables left out of the original question, but that answer seems safe assuming same speed and same density of materials.

Back