Forbes article on the upcoming Pilot/Mechanic shortage.

Pilot shortage?
Wrong place.gif

Wrong part of town!

Linky no worky.
|
Connect
scrollingarrow_disable_left.gif

scrollingarrow_right.gif

|
|

John Goglia
, Contributor

I write about the airline industry and aviation safety.

LOGISTICS & TRANSPORTATION
|

1/04/2014 @ 6:19AM |6,766 views
2014 Outlook For Aviation Careers Brightens With Looming Pilot And Mechanic Shortages

22 comments, 19 called-out
Comment Now
Continental /Colgan crash outside Buffalo, New York in 2009, the global demand for pilots with some foreign airlines offering significantly higher pay to US pilots than US airlines, and the aging pilot population with many reaching the mandatory retirement age of 65. The cost of pilot training is also a barrier to many would-be aviators; students seeking to fly frequently pay for flying lessons on top of already hefty college tuitions.

For mechanics, the decrease in the number of students entering the aviation field is mostly due to the reduced pay and benefits offered to aviation mechanics – auto mechanics, for example, have on average earned significantly higher wages over the last decade. Would-be aviation mechanics have also found brighter career prospects in computer repair. And the cost of training for aviation mechanics is also high, with the decrease in the number of schools for mechanics increasing the costs of aircraft licenses. Even after training and becoming certified as an aviation mechanic, the lure of higher-paying jobs in other industries has been difficult for many to resist.

But I predict that these shortages combined with increased airline profits will begin to be reflected in the pilot and mechanic pay and benefits. Young people with a passion for aviation can look to that field for their careers. In addition to traditional piloting jobs, the expected growth in drones provides opportunities for a whole new batch of aviation-related jobs that people need to start training for now. I believe 2014 will be the year that aviation careers begin to regain the luster they once had.

All you have to read is this: "But I predict that these shortages combined with increased airline profits will begin to be reflected in the pilot and mechanic pay and benefits", to realize he has no idea WTH he is talking about. He predicts this based on what? The history of all the carriers (and what few are left) and all the pay cuts and other concessions forced on employees in the last 30 years?

Last edited:
You know...if you have to stop and fill your tank up with gas, it's probably because there is a "shortage" of gas in your car. All you have to do is go fill it up and the nearest (and cheapest) gas station right?

So when we talk about a pilot "shortage" everyone's opinions vary widely. This is because we have no clear definition of "shortage". There is a reason for hiring in any industry. That reason is being "short" on staff.

Do I believe that there is a pilot shortage to the extent that there are not enough pilots to fill the seats?? NO! There is simply just going to be movement in the industry. That cannot be denied. There is more hiring right now then there has been this whole decade. Therefore, there is opportunity for pilots to work.

Did you know there is a shortage of doctors in the US? Guess what, doctors still have to pay for there own training and are often paid garbage wages during residency and early experience.

Pilots will always have to pay for ratings and start at low pay.

As for the shortage? Well airlines are starting to tap into the "gas station" of pilots so to speak. Call it what you want. But for now, everyone is hiring. And I think that is a good sign for pilots.

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx_mobile.html

On the pilot side I'm going to side with the others on here. It's a nice thought. And yeah hiring is going to pick up a tad. But personally I don't buy it. The Legacy/Majors and cool corporate departments will always have someone to fill their shoes.

But perhaps I'm a bit cynical.

The article should read the masses will not work for what the industry pays them. In most cases the economics behind some businesses will never justify paying more money such as regional airlines because they have no control of their destiny! Some jobs in aviation are the new lawn maintenance and produce picker jobs in which people chose themselves and now are complaining worse than a woman in labor.

We're beating the dead horse here guys. Who cares? Let's just sit back and whatever happens...happens. (As far as the alleged pilot shortage goes).

IF there ever is an actual shortage, then yeah we might get paid a little more but it still won't be our problem to worry about!

Management will freak out but who cares.

How many articles can we find on a pilot shortage?
Dozens every year, going back for decades. The better question is, name a year or years when there ever was really a pilot shortage.

The truth is to keep flying, if this is what you want to do. Look for and examine all areas of aviation. There is no end all be all in flying. More than one road to fulfillment, a lasting career, QOL, a decent retirement, money, satisfaction and happiness. You have no control over what large entities/corporations will do, only what you will do and how you react. Find your niche, keep trucking along and enjoy it instead of worrying about all the what ifs. It's the journey and the process that matters. Where you will wind up....who knows for sure. There are no more guarantees. Life is just like that. It's what it is. Even those on here who you think have it made, complain, worry and whine.

Attitude is everything. THAT is something you can control. There are always opportunities here and there. You just have to be patient, open to them and willing to try something new. Meanwhile, build a personal life. THAT will sustain you when things go to crap work wise and matters far more anyways. And quit worrying or putting so much credence in some stupid article on line. Go fly a plane, any plane. Go kiss your partner, have supper with your family or call them on the phone, hang with some good friends, enjoy your dog or cat and hug your kids. Your family and friends will last a lifetime, a career will not. Be thankful for what you have and what you have accomplished thus far.

Cripes, y'all going to have as many grey hairs as I do, if you keep this up.

Last edited:
Dozens every year, going back for decades. The better question is, name a year or years when there ever was really a pilot shortage.

The truth is to keep flying, if this is what you want to do. Look for and examine all areas of aviation. There is no end all be all in flying. More than one road to fulfillment, a lasting career, QOL, a decent retirement, money, satisfaction and happiness. You have no control over what large entities/corporations will do, only what you will do and how you react. Find your niche, keep trucking along and enjoy it instead of worrying about all the what ifs. It's the journey and the process that matters. Where you will wind up....who knows for sure. There are no more guarantees. Life is just like that. It's what it is. Even those on here who you think have it made, complain, worry and whine.

Attitude is everything. THAT is something you can control. There are always opportunities here and there. You just have to be patient, open to them and willing to try something new. Meanwhile, build a personal life. THAT will sustain you when things go to crap work wise and matters far more anyways. And quit worrying or putting so much credence in some stupid article on line. Go fly a plane, any plane. Go kiss your partner, have supper with your family or call them on the phone, hang with some good friends, enjoy your dog or cat and hug your kids. Your family and friends will last a lifetime, a career will not. Be thankful for what you have and what you have accomplished thus far.

Exactly. Ill never understand why so many feel they have to be in such a rush to become a number at the bottom of a list at a company that may or may not be around in 5 years. Ill bet there will be another shortage article next week.

Buddy of mine was check airman at a major, recently retired. He still keeps in touch with his homeboys, and with other friends his age at other majors. He says that everyone he knows is worried about a growing pilot shortage.
Hiring bonuses are now being paid by the airlines based where I'm at, and many of my friends are moving up to bigger airplanes.

This might be the best post I've read on this site. Bravo sir.

This might be the best post I've read on this site. Bravo sir.
Thank you. No one has a crystal ball and flying for a living and a good living isn't just all about the airlines any longer and hasn't been for many years. There is bush flying, cargo/freight, flying for the Sheriff's and Police departments, flying for a firefighting department, the Forestry department, ferrying, contract flying, good decent corporate and charter ops (yes they do exist), Sim Instructing, several types of test flying, ex-pat flying, med ambulance, agriculture, Federal and State flying jobs, even a combo of jobs if they are seasonal, just an enormous amount of good, enjoyable/fulfilling flying to be had.

And no matter how much you love to fly, it's still just a job. A great job when it all jives, but even the best of jobs all have their issues. Do what makes you happy and what fits your lifestyle. No type of flying is more prestigious than another kind either. I mean seriously, who cares? A plane is a plane and they all have wonderful views. Be flexible and set goals that are adaptable. The really important thing, which I stated in my previous post, is to enjoy your damn life and your family and friends. Life is short enough as it is.

I see so many people changing jobs at the drop of hat before they have even given that job a fair shake. You can second guess yourself right into oblivion. Sure, crap happens at some companies, but it happens in all careers, not just flying. Pilots like to act like they are only ones on the planet who spend a lot of money and time in training and on their careers.They aren't and all industries change over time. Anyone can live a happy and satisfying life without so many bells and whistles too. It's the simple and little things that matter, not a bunch of worthless toys. It's the relationships you have along the way that matter, not the material things. It's who you come home to that gives your life real meaning. Relish where you are and don't just keep wishing you were somewhere else all the time. That will make you miserable and empty. Attitude, attitude, attitude.

Have fun. On the side, teach some Young Eagles to fly, go work on some warbirds, go to some fly ins, transport a dog for Paws or a child that needs medical treatment, rent a tail dragger and fly the visuals/landmarks. Get back to the basics of why we decided to fly in the first place and re-discover the peace and joy of simplicity before it's too late. It's not all about uniforms, commuting and contracts.

Last edited:
As @Derg says, if you wanna fly planes, fly planes. Pilot shortage or no pilot shortage I bet you can make it happen if you work at it.

As @Derg says, if you wanna fly planes, fly planes. Pilot shortage or no pilot shortage I bet you can make it happen if you work at it.

Everyone said I was nuts going into aviation.

Pan Am, Eastern, Braniff and a few others sent their pilots out for a permanent recess. And there was a deep recession going on.

Back