For Future Dispatchers (like myself)

Adam Hunt

FB Connect Pending Approval
Figured those of you like myself who plan on getting their Dispatch License would like to know. In addition to the ATP/ADX Study Guide, ASA just published the Aircraft Dispatcher Oral Exam Guide. Just saw it on Amazon.

Agreed...finishing up my 4th week at dispatch school and just got that oral exam guide. Looks to be a pretty good book!

I wont be taking my course at IFOD until Nov at the earliest but it looks like ill have alot of reading to do before then.

You have a lot of time to prepare. I'd recommend you make good use of that time because I studied quite a bit before starting school but there are still some weeks that the amount of homework and stress is over the top. So do as much as you can to make it easier on yourself while @ IFOD. Best of luck :)

I intend to. I've obtained everything they suggest to study and then some (sans 737 manual). Plus i've got some ATC background so some stuff will probably be refresher for me. What so far have you found to be the most challenging subject matter you've covered?

The ADX....get that sucker out of the way before you even start school if you can. The info in that test is practically useless and it is such a BEAR to study for...you do not want to be studying for the ADX while youre in school. Trust me.

I agree with Krystal...either take it before or just be ready to take it when u arrive. You don't want to be spending your time on that when there is so much more work to do. The most difficult stuff for me has been the w&b and performance charts. Mainly because I'm not good at math. It's a lot of calculations and I had a hard time remembering everything. At Jeppesen we have exams usually twice a week (this week four!!) so remembering all the formulas and stuff was hard. If you are good at math, you'll be fine but it was tough for me. I did my flight training 12 years ago so what I learned back then with w&b was pretty much gone. Had to learn it all over again and to a much larger scale.

Thanks for the advice. The ADX is the written test right? And thats what that ATP study guide is for?

Yes...that is correct. And I just took mine - and passed! :)

All chapters in the Gleim ATP test prep will be used for the ADX "EXCEPT" chapter 4.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great weekend!

I'm in the same boat, except I'm preparing to take the sheffield online course starting around September. I just purchased the ASA ATP prep E book today. Put it on my Iphone too. Let the studying begin! I'm also thinking about picking up the Gleim Aviation Weather book to help me prepare.

That Gleim Wx book was part of our student kit. It's a good addition for all the charts and figures. You have the Gleim ATP test prep right (book)? You know Gleim also has the software? I don't think it will really make a difference mixing up the Gleim & ASA test prep but might have been helpful to stay consistent with Gleim... Just a thought. Happy studying!

ty Adam for the info. I am going to IFOD in aug. I am studying everything they suggest . The oral guide is a new one. That would be great to have.

No Prob. I wont be going til the beginning of next year. Been working on finishing up school this year. You'll have to tell me what it's like when you go so I can have an idea of what to expect.

Back