??? for Engineers

sr71

I'm currently entertaining the ideal of going back to school for engineering (Aerospace or Mechanical). I hold a Bachelors degree in Aeronautical Science. My question is, should I just go back for a Masters or should I first get a Bachelor degree? How is the Job market for a Mechanical or Aerospace engineer?

Thanks

There are so many variables in that question that it is hard to say.

If you're strong in math theory and you have work experience in the sciences, I'd say go for the masters. Otherwise, go for the B.S. and then take a look at the job market at that time (it won't be the same as today) and make a decision based on the economy at that time. Even one year can make a big difference (believe me, I saw that first hand).

I'd hit up some of the hiring managers or HR departments of the companies you'd like to eventually work for and see what they think given your current credentials. After asking around you should be able to get an idea of what would make you marketable. Check the job postings too and see what they require.

I'm currently entertaining the ideal of going back to school for engineering (Aerospace or Mechanical). I hold a Bachelors degree in Aeronautical Science. My question is, should I just go back for a Masters or should I first get a Bachelor degree? How is the Job market for a Mechanical or Aerospace engineer?

Thanks

I'm not sure why anyone would consider a second bachelors when they qual for a masters. A 2nd bachelors won't qual for student aid, will typically net you greater income, is the next step going for a terminal degree. If your undergrad allows you to enter that masters program you want, why do it any other way?

Not sure Aeronautical Science would give you enough background to be successful in any engineering masters program. As I understand it, that is typically a pilot-focused major. Taking a few classes to get up to speed may be enough, I would talk to the department at some schools you are interested in. A bare minimum would be two semesters of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, two semesters of university level physics, thermodynamics, & heat transfer. Then 11-13 more grad courses for the masters degree. (It may end up being less to get the BS degree)

You don't really need a masters degree in engineering unless you are planning to get a PhD or teach.

It'll cost more if you can't get aid for it though.

Good doors to keep open when STEM is being pushed, and everyone and their uncle has a BS

In state tuition here in Florida is dirt cheap. Three semesters undergrad tuition seems like a bargain to me for a career that starts at 60k+

I have never seen a surplus of engineers as long as I have been working.

Go get a EE degree. It's more versatile than ME or Aero. In engineering, never pay for your own masters...get your company or university to fund it.

As someone else stated. Too many factors. A second bachelors might be useful if you are going in to a completely unrelated field - like nursing. I am sure that even at the bachelor's level there would be some overlap between mechanical and aeronautical courses. With that in mind, employers would hire you with your existing degree - as sometimes they are not too picky with the degree you have, as long as it ties to in the line of work they are looking to hire. (Eg: Ok to have electronics/electrical degree to work at software company doing.)

That being said - What are your long term goals? Where do you see yourself in 5-10-15 years?

Personally, I'd get the Masters in something engineering related or even in business admin (some people will give me grief for that!). With some luck and hunting, you can find a school with a decent assistantship program to pay for the Masters.

drunkenbeagle said:
I have never seen a surplus of engineers as long as I have been working.

But the economy has taken a hit of around 40-60% for those with 20+ years of experience.

Automotive is even worse.

I'll go drink not. 8(

But the economy has taken a hit of around 40-60% for those with 20+ years of experience.

Automotive is even worse.

I'll go drink not. 8(

Sure, I'm experienced, and have taken pay cuts over the last few years. Still not worried about being able to find six-figure paying work, there is plenty out there.

The economy will improve - even a slight improvement is huge. Unemployment is about 3-4% for engineers - when demand does pick up, it turns into a bidding war pretty quickly.

Go get a EE degree. It's more versatile than ME or Aero. In engineering, never pay for your own masters...get your company or university to fund it.

Terrible advice. Go for what your interest is, otherwise you'll lose your sanity. I actually enjoyed (and did quite well with) pursuing my ME degree. My roommate was a EE, and it looked miserable to me. My brother is a CE, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that either.

drunkenbeagle said:
Sure, I'm experienced, and have taken pay cuts over the last few years. Still not worried about being able to find six-figure paying work, there is plenty out there.

The economy will improve - even a slight improvement is huge. Unemployment is about 3-4% for engineers - when demand does pick up, it turns into a bidding war pretty quickly.

Not in OH or MI that is for sure. On any of those points. It's is slowly turning around but pay is still back in the 93-95 timeframe.

Terrible advice. Go for what your interest is, otherwise you'll lose your sanity. I actually enjoyed (and did quite well with) pursuing my ME degree. My roommate was a EE, and it looked miserable to me. My brother is a CE, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that either.

I know very few EE's that actually do EE-type work, it qualifies you to do a lot of stuff.

Not in OH or MI that is for sure. On any of those points. It's is slowly turning around but pay is still back in the 93-95 timeframe.

The dot-com days were great too. If you are flexible about where you live, or are willing to travel, or go freelance, there are lots of options.

Having a good headhunter/recruiter opens up a lot of doors too.

drunkenbeagle said:
The dot-com days were great too. If you are flexible about where you live, or are willing to travel, or go freelance, there are lots of options.

Having a good headhunter/recruiter opens up a lot of doors too.

True and if I got back into the heavy travel again I should just get an RJ job. 8)

Boy in HS doesn't help...

Not sure Aeronautical Science would give you enough background to be successful in any engineering masters program. As I understand it, that is typically a pilot-focused major. Taking a few classes to get up to speed may be enough, I would talk to the department at some schools you are interested in. A bare minimum would be two semesters of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, two semesters of university level physics, thermodynamics, & heat transfer. Then 11-13 more grad courses for the masters degree. (It may end up being less to get the BS degree).

You don't really need a masters degree in engineering unless you are planning to get a PhD or teach.

I'd say this amount of prerequisites is a little low for what you'll actually need these days. Albeit I ended up at an extremely theory-heavy research university as a guy who wants to end up in industry on the flight test side (really feel like the odd man out among my peers sometimes :bang:), here's what I had to take in order to transfer from a 2-year community college into my 4-year Aero Eng program:

3 semesters of Calculus (Intro, Intermediate and Multivariable/Vector Calc).
1 semester of Linear Algebra
1 semester of Differential Equations
2 semesters of Chemistry (Intro & General Chem)
3 semesters of Physics (Mechanics, Electromagnetics and Waves/Sound/Optics... didn't need that fourth semester of Quantum)
1 semester of Engineering Materials Science
1 semester of Engineering Graphics (AutoCAD/Inventor)
(They also wanted Statics and Linear Circuits, but I was able to get in without them and take them at my four year university.)

That's easily 2.5 years of math prereqs alone (it ended up being longer for me because I also needed Precalc/Trig), and 1.5 years of Physics prereqs (which you won't be eligible to take until you start chipping away at the Calculus). If you do end up doing your prereqs at a community college to save money, it's highly advisable you do it at one on the quarter system, because this will save a lot of time (but throw a lot more material at you in that time).

Since I've been in the four year program, I've taken:

Intro to Aerospace Engineering
Intro to Engineering Graphics (CAD + CNC machine shop projects)
C/C++ Programming
A project based Structural Engineering Materials course
Mechanics I: Statics
Mechanics II: Dynamics
Mechanics III: Vibrations
Solid Mechanics I
Linear Circuits
Mathematical Physics (Partial Differential Equations & Fourier Analysis)
Numerical Analysis (Algorithms like "Runge-Kutta" in MATLAB)
Thermodynamics
Intro to Fluid Mechanics
Advanced Fluid Mechanics
Heat Transfer
Aerodynamics

...and I still have to take Signals & Systems, Linear Control Systems, Aerospace Structures I & II, Finite Element Analysis, Aerospace Propulsion Systems, Spacecraft Guidance, Dynamics & Controls of Aerospace Vehicles, two additional ME/Aero Labs and two quarters of a team-based final project (of which everything else is a prerequisite)... not to mention a bunch of GE stuff and probably a few I'm forgetting.

I know I'm preaching to the choir in a thread full of former Aerospace and ME majors, but I would take a hard look at the above and evaluate whether you think that's feasible. Without all of the above, I wouldn't feel remotely prepared trying to go for a Masters in Aerospace or ME. The difference in workload is going to be tremendous and they're going to assume you know all the stuff I just listed. Another thing to consider is that ME/Aero is an "impacted" major at a lot of schools, meaning it's very difficult to get into. I get that it's not practical to go for a second B.S. from a financial aid standpoint, but without a prior B.S. in ME or a related field, it could be tough to find a school that would take you.

It's worth pursuing if you're truly passionate about it, but just be forewarned that it's taken me a looooong time (starting from the ground up) and I'm not even out of the woods yet.

My argument is to balance your interest with career demand. The "Do what you love" advice for college majors creates the same career problems that today's crop of RJ drivers have. To me, EE is so varied that you can focus it to where your interest is while still having a hedge if the aerospace industry falls on its face (like...say...the early 1990s). There were some aspects of EE that I still think are insane, but I got through those. At the same time, the controls classes just aren't that different than the controls classes the MEs and Aeros take. If you know that you'll generically be an engineer, but aren't sure which path to follow, consider EE.

Back