For CTI's, AT-SAT, then...

Well I got over an 85, and I want ZBW, so I am happy. But I still don't think that it guarantees anything. If they need people EnRoute, they take them, if they need them elsewhere, they take them. Don't think your AT-SAT grade has such a tight correlation to facility placement.

Has anyone done a study among the people on this site (CTI specifically since that is your claim) to see how AT-SAT scores relate to facility placement? That would be interesting.

I have not "done a study" but out of the CTI's I am in school with, the FAA only takes 85+ for enroute, and lower for terminal. It isnt very scientific, but for the school I go to (one of the biggest), I know the better your score the more likely you will end up enroute...

I have not "done a study" but out of the CTI's I am in school with, the FAA only takes 85+ for enroute, and lower for terminal. It isnt very scientific, but for the school I go to (one of the biggest), I know the better your score the more likely you will end up enroute...

I got a 97.5 and got terminal. Two other classmates who scored over 95 got terminal too

I would love LAX, dream is DEN, but either way, maybe just the pepole at our school are being sent to centers (85+). Of my friends I keep in contact with I have had about 10 or so get ZMA, 3 got ZLA, 3 got ZNY, and 1 got the dreded ZOA... I have only found one student from down here that got terminal with over 85 and that was an 87 (I think). Most people from our school do very well on the AT-SAT but only those with scores in the "qualified" range got terminal while the "well qualified" got en-route...

My $.02

Hey there,
I'm a CTI grad, and I'll give ya a lil taste of what I know or have gone through so far. I took the AT-SAT last spring and graduated last May '08. As already mentioned, you can't apply under the CTI announcement until after you graduate (and, of course, you get your school to recommend you). If I remember correctly, I actually received an email from either my school or the FAA (can't remember which) telling me when a CTI announcement was going to open up. Did the application and started the waiting game. (Btw, if you are CTI and apply for an OTS app, you still have to do the basic training @ OKC!!! You do not get to skip it...you can ONLY skip basic training if you apply under the CTI announcement! Also, CTI applicants tend to get processed faster right now...I'll explain later.)

I actually got an offer to Miami Ctr about a month after graduation, but turned it down (I have many reasons and won't go into them now). So I waited until October when I got my 2nd offer, this time for ZMP. I accepted and just finished up 2 days ago w/ my PEPC.

As far as AT-SAT scores and job placement (terminal vs en-route)...your score does not matter at all. This is what matters: if you picked a state (or states) with centers located in them, then there is a high probability that you will get assigned to a center. (And I know this because some FAA peeps came to my school last spring and told us this.) So if you absolutely, positively DO NOT want to work at a center, don't choose a state with a center in it.

Lastly, about CTI getting processed faster:
During the selection mtgs, applicants are chosen in the following order: first picks are current controllers transfering, second picks are military, third picks are CTI students, and forth picks are OTS.
Also, when it comes to getting a class date @ OKC, CTI students tend to get in faster (this isn't guaranteed!). This is because they have a certain # of seats for OTS and a certain # for CTI students @ OKC. Right now there are A LOT more OTS applicants than CTI applicants so their seats are getting filled quicker...which I noticed @ the PEPC. So most people I talked to were told to expect an OKC date around late March, April, or later. I was told to expect an OKC date around Feb.

So...that's what I have to say...sorry it's so long!!!

I may as well chime in with my experience, and to add to what Freezer and homeslice said; simply put, OTS applicants get more flexibility in specific counties in which they would like to work. This includes the option to choose which type of facility they prefer as well. CTI apps, however, are put on a faster track to OKC training but do not have the option to select counties, only states. They can select facility type - terminal or enroute.

Just to put it in perspective, Freezer and I went to the same CTI program and graduated at the same time. I put in my OTS app in February, and he applied under CTI at the end of May. We both only selected terminal. He is already done with Academy training, and I am still waiting to start mine on Jan.12 for ATC basics.

I would have applied under the May CTI announcement, but our school's academic adviser gave many students in our class misleading information that discouraged us from applying. Believe me, when Freezer and I met at the Memphis PEPC, and he told me that he applied under the May-closing CTI announcement, I was livid.

In retrospect, I'm pleased with how in turned out, as I get to work in an area I greatly wanted.

I'm a CTI grad and got a 93 on the AT-SAT and was picked for Chicago tracon. I think the better you do on the test the higher level facility you get. A lot of my classmates who did good on the test got enrout.

I'm a CTI grad and got a 93 on the AT-SAT and was picked for Chicago tracon. I think the better you do on the test the higher level facility you get. A lot of my classmates who did good on the test got enrout.

Or the FAA is trying to make an earnest effort to accommodate their new hires. I've personally heard HR FAA suits from DC that the attrition rate of newly hired trainees is bad enough.

Voluntary or Involuntary?

Voluntary.

I also have a relative who is a Raytheon employed instructor at a TRACON facility that goes to a few FAA mandated training sessions each year at OKC. The OKC FAA instructors were telling the facility instructors that they're challenged with trying to figure out how to deal with the new controller trainees of our generation. Apparently we're a bunch of whiney babies that will quit over things like not getting the days off we want or having the shift schedule we want, or getting the exact facilities we wanted.

Funny story, some trainees' parents were actually calling the FAA to complain about their kids' facility assignments. I guess people are actually quitting the job over this, according to what my relative was told.

Voluntary.

I also have a relative who is a Raytheon employed instructor at a TRACON facility that goes to a few FAA mandated training sessions each year at OKC. The OKC FAA instructors were telling the facility instructors that they're challenged with trying to figure out how to deal with the new controller trainees of our generation. Apparently we're a bunch of whiny babies that will quit over things like not getting the days off we want or having the shift schedule what we want, or getting the exact facilities we wanted.

Funny story, some trainees' parents were actually calling the FAA to complain about their kids' facility assignments. I guess people are actually quitting the job over this, according to what my relative was told.
What a bunch of wankers. They actually expect everything in life to be handed to them on a silver platter? I blame it on their parents for not properly training them for the realities of life.

are you freaking kidding me!!! my aunt works at a college and often gets parents calling to blame HER for their kids flunking out of school. I guess I was naive to think that it stopped there. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back