Following my passion

Jepoy005

Hi there,

First off, I would like to say thank you for replying to my post. Now, let's get started, I am 22 years old and I am about done with my A.A.S in Management (Dec 2015) and I will be done with my B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies next year (Dec 2016). I was just a little late on getting my degrees because I took a year and a half off due to my Air Force training.

I really love management, but my passion for aviation since I was a little kid is still in me. I remember flying to Australia when I was 5 years old and being able to see the cockpit of the airplane was exhilarating. From that point on I said to myself that I wanted to become an airline pilot when I grow old.

I wanted to get done with my Bachelors degree first for job security, so I can fall back into something, if flying isn't working out. It's pretty much my Plan B.

I will be 23 years old by the time I get my Bachelors and if everything goes to plan I will start my Flight Training Jan of 2017 (23 yrs old).

Some people that I have talked to about this kept telling me that I should've never went to the Air Force because starting early in your Pilot training is the best deal. Well I told them that I wanted to serve that's why I did it.

Do you think that I am just at a good age to start pilot training?

Is it a little late?

Now, I don't really care how crappy the pay or the QOL in the first few years of flying. I have been raised in a poor household, so I know how it feels like living with a poor QOL. Aviation is my passion and I would rather go for my passion than regret it later in life that I did not even try to go for it and that is the thing that I am avoiding.

I have also looked at a couple of flight schools around the country. The flight school that is most appealing to me is "ATP FLIGHT SCHOOL". Reason why this flight school is the most appealing to me is because of the fast-paced program. Second, flight school that I have also looked at is "AEROSIM FLIGHT ACADEMY", reason for that is because my friend went through their program and he said that it was great. It was a little slower than ATP, but I don't really care. A word-of-mouth from my friend was good enough. He is now a FO for Thai Airways flying the 777!

Thank you so much for taking your time reading my post and I really do appreciate your replies.

Jeff

That's the same age I started flight training and 3 years later I'm flying right seat in a King Air with a 135 outfit. Study hard, work hard, avoid debt, and be flexible and you'll be fine. Make sure to use as much of your GI Bill as you can, that saved me $$$ over the course of my training.

Avoid ATP or any flight school that makes you pay for training upfront like the plague. There are plenty of places you can train that fast and for much, much, cheaper. Make sure too look at all your options.

Good luck and Happy Flying!

That's the same age I started flight training and 3 years later I'm flying right seat in a King Air with a 135 outfit. Study hard, work hard, avoid debt, and be flexible and you'll be fine. Make sure to use as much of your GI Bill as you can, that saved me $$$ over the course of my training.

Avoid ATP or any flight school that makes you pay for training upfront like the plague. There are plenty of places you can train that fast and for much, much, cheaper. Make sure too look at all your options.

Good luck and Happy Flying!

I'm sorry, but what is a 135 outfit? Haha
And that is awesome that flying is going well for you!

Well I would still have to check my GI BILL because I am in the Reserves and I don't think Reserves get the same GI BILL as Active Duty.

If you don't mind me asking which flight training route did you go? Like what you have stated is that I should avoid flight schools like ATP etc etc.

There is a local FOB near my place and I have taken a discovery flight with them. I think it was in a small Piper aircraft and the instructor pretty much let me fly and land the aircraft. PRETTY COOL!

thanks!

Part 135 is a type of commercial operator. Mainly charter, cargo, stuff like that.

I'm in the Army National Guard and we as "reserve status" veterans get Chapter 1606 benefits. The VA reimburses 60% of your flight training past your Private Pilot Certificate if you go to a part 141 flight training Fixed Based Operation (FBO). ATP does all of their training Part 61, which isn't covered by the VA.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my full training write up/resume. For now I'd focus on finishing college and saving as much money as you can. It'll be at least 6-10k for your private depending on where you train.

Part 135 is a type of commercial operator. Mainly charter, cargo, stuff like that.

I'm in the Army National Guard and we as "reserve status" veterans get Chapter 1606 benefits. The VA reimburses 60% of your flight training past your Private Pilot Certificate if you go to a part 141 flight training Fixed Based Operation (FBO). ATP does all of their training Part 61, which isn't covered by the VA.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my full training write up/resume. For now I'd focus on finishing college and saving as much money as you can. It'll be at least 6-10k for your private depending on where you train.

Sir,

I think I have just found my savior! Thank you so so much for replying!

HUA!

I will definitely send you a PM.

I have 2.5 more years left in my contract and I am thinking of not renewing it. Air Force is good, but it just bores me doing the same thing over and over and over again - if you know what I mean. Haha

Again, thank you!

It's SGT, plenty of other guys on here that have done the work to be a "sir." SGT is just fine. :)

Back