Flying while sick?

IMSAFE checklist

The up and down pressures changes can wreck havoc on your sinuses, which are probably full of fluid. Flying sick a good way to get a sinus infection. And not to mention blocked Eustachian tubes. I learned first hand when I was a CFI not to fly with a head cold....ouch

If you're really sick, yeah obviously call in. But the reality of working 91/135 is that you are not going to be able to call in sick for a week. I'd imagine the guy is looking for tips on the recovery, not when he's on his deathbed.

It's one thing if you have a slightly runny nose, or some other mild issue. But if it is much more than that, calling in sick is probably a better choice. If even if your crew likes you, they don't like your germs. :)

What are your symptoms? Are you flying with crew?

I had sinus problems and flew skydivers up to 10,000 in a 182 for the first time with another pilot training me. I was rushed down by the other pilot training me to pick up the next load. I could not get my ears to pop and the pressure was insanely painful. I stopped for my first day in training and they understood. I couldn't hear out of one ear for 2 weeks. It shoved the fluid into my tubes. It came close to having my eardrum cut and drained. I'll never do it again.

Sinus problems...no, no, no! Not worth it. Not even on the first day of your job. Would you rather miss a couple days or 3 or more weeks? Maybe approach the company in this sort of way.

I flew from DFW-TUL-DFW with a head cold once. I seriously thought my eardrums were going to blow.

Never Again.

That's a very quick up and down flight. I imagine your head wanted to blow up most of the way. :banghead: I feel for you on that one..........

Hot Toddy:

2 oz bourbon, whiskey, or brandy
1 Tbsp Honey
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Top it off with water as hot as you can stand (for a 6 oz glass)

Stir, drink, repeat. Take the day off.

wildfreightess is the winner. I had a "family member" give me those at a young age...I'm not saying which one but I will say she is much older than me and played an important role in my upbringing :) Worked like a charm.

In all seriousness, call in sick for the reasons others mentioned. Plus as a student you won't learn anything anyway so don't waste your time. Stay in bed and study for a written exam or FARs...or hell just take a day off it's ok to do every once in a while!

By the way wildfreightess, nothing sexier than a woman who likes her bourbon!

I dunno, I passed my solo checkride with a rather nasty head cold that I am still recovering from. As a doctor though, I am probably not the best person to ask...us docs are idiots when it comes to illness; just ask my wife.

Thanks for the advice, my instructor really pushed me to sim today and it was horrible....tomorrow I think I'm going to take the day off to sleep and study my PTS.

Thanks for the advice, my instructor really pushed me to sim today and it was horrible....tomorrow I think I'm going to take the day off to sleep and study my PTS.

Don't take it personally. It is his job to push you, but def. don't hesitate to speak up if you need the day off from the sim.

TAKE THE DAY OFF!!!!

did I mention that CAPs mean seriousness? :) I know this is hard to do.. but let your mind recover as well as your physical body. sorry for the bold and CAPs.

your body is telling you "give me a break."

wake up whenever you do naturally.

do some easy and solid 2 minute stretches. drink plenty of water. watch a movie that makes you grin. forget aviation. avoid jetcareers! (sorry doug.)

aviation will be waiting for you tomorrow.

By the way wildfreightess, nothing sexier than a woman who likes her bourbon!
Then the sexiest woman on earth is Gretchen Wilson (who I think the wildfreightess favors) -saw her on stage Saturday night singing about whiskey and taking swigs from a bottle of Jack Daniels.:rawk:

I once went flying with a head cold. The flight was 2 hours, and ended with me sick as hell and a fever and bad... It wasn't fun. Flying sick makes you sicker. :)

Feel better man! :)

The sinus pressure that builds up in your head after the descent makes it not even worth it. Last time I flew sick, I couldn't hear out of my right ear for 3 days. I won't make that mistake again. Flying sick can be dangerous to yourself and a little inconsiderate to others, but then again most of us have done it.

Then the sexiest woman on earth is Gretchen Wilson (who I think the wildfreightess favors) -saw her on stage Saturday night singing about whiskey and taking swigs from a bottle of Jack Daniels.:rawk:

Come on Old Pete, you as a southern man should know Jack Daniels doesn't count!! I said BOURBON drinking women are sexy!!

Come on Old Pete, you as a southern man should know Jack Daniels doesn't count!! I said BOURBON drinking women are sexy!!

You know, I was wondering if anybody would catch that:D, I know it's "sour mash" and not Bourbon.

I've flown with a nasty hangover before, back when I was a student pilot. And it was in the summer, when it was hot and humid. I thought I was going to puke before we left the ground but it wouldn't have done anything since I had nothing left to puke up!

Steep turns were on the agenda that day, too.

Not fun.

Back