Flying Internationally in a GA airplane???

Blip16

Ok, i need to start researching this and I am not 100% sure on where to look. I have looked a little at AOPA stuff, but that is all so far.

i am guessing i will need: Passport, radio license, and somehow notify customs of our flight/arrivals, but that is all i can think of.

what else do i need/ need to do?

Ok, i need to start researching this and I am not 100% sure on where to look. I have looked a little at AOPA stuff, but that is all so far.

i am guessing i will need: Passport, radio license, and somehow notify customs of our flight/arrivals, but that is all i can think of.

My understanding is that you also need to do some homework about specific airplane requrements, a buddy of mine was turned away from Canada because the N#s on his plane were not 12 inches tall or something like that.

It was a long time ago, pre 9/11, but I remember that we used to have to pay some type of fee for flying into/out of the carribean. You had to have the sticker on your airframe to prove you paid.

file a flight plan!

DVFR or IFR.

I will look it up but there is a book the FAA publishes for nearly every country and their requirements. I would google it online. I know Jep. makes one but it probably costs a pretty penny.

If you are going to Canada, use "canpass". 99% of the time you can check in via cell phone without having to wait for a customs agent to clear you...Now coming back into the US is a different story. Don't assume customs will be at your port of entry. Schedule Schedule Schedule a week in advance.

PM me if you have any questions.

yeah, we wanted to fly to Winnepeg from GFK. i have all the required documentation, and the airplanes meet the requirements, we will be going IFR. just unsure of the other stuff

canpass?

1-888-CAN-PASS. Its easy. Tell them you're comming and when you land you call them. 99% of the time they'll just give you a number to display in the airplane and for you to keep in your records and off you go. Comming back to the US is the hard part. I waited for more than a half hour for the customs people to come out of their shack in GFK. You cant leave the airplane comming back into the US. The Canadians are more laid back.

Here's one you won't hear often- check the coverage of insurance for yourself and the airplane.

I used to fly with a flying club in Tacoma, Wa. I asked the manager once if I could take an airplane to Vancouver, and was turned away. Why? Insurance. Slippery devils wrote the policy so it was only valid in the contiguous lower 48 States.

The rest, as far as appropriate kinds of flight plans, passports, and registration fees are more common issues. Also- make sure you've good information on military intercept procedures. If you're going to cross an ADIZ, it might not hurt to be prepared in case some American F-16s decide you need to be looked over.

Oh- one last thing. I'll assume you aren't just going to the Caribbean or Canada. Check local procedures THOROUGHLY. I hear in Mexico they don't let you fly at night unless under special circumstances or whatnot. Checking out the latest threat briefing with the U.S. Department of State might tell you how friendly (or unfriendly!) the locals may be.

You need to have a US CBP sticker that is vaild for that year (Basically a tax). Also Canada and Mexico are switching to the 406mhz ELT starting Feb 1, 2009. Under the new proposal starting Feb 1, all aircraft regardless of country of registration, will need an "installed" 406mhz ELT beacon.

Canada says they want the ELT installed while mexico is allowing portable 406mhz beacons.

Barry Schiff has a chapter on flying to Europe in GA airplanes in The Proficient Pilot, vol. 3.

we are just going to canada if we go. I had a feeling the customs into the US would be the biggest issue.

Something else to keep in mind is that I've had absolutely zero luck filing ICAO flightplans on DUATS. Just call FSS and they'll set you up properly.

Back