Flying as a job, no longer a hobby

dave64056

Hello,

For those of you who originally saw flying as a hobby, and turned it into a career, did it ever get "boring" or become a drag? I have no intentions of turning my hobby into a career, since I am an ATCS CTI student and Air Transportation Management student (double major) and will start working on my Private Pilot License out of college. It's also interesting to see the reality of career flying, since I for the longest time used to think everyone made 100k right from the start, only to realize my undergrad friends will only make around 30k and have massive loans. I also didn't want to be tied to a schedule either, and want to progress at my own pace with obtaining my certifications.

It's still a job because they have to pay you to do it. That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable but keep in mind that flying when you can do what you want and flying when you're doing what somebody else wants you to do is an entirely different thing. I can tell you there were days when I was flight instructing students with bad halitosis, tired as hell and absolutely did not want to go do stalls in the same ol practice area for the 30th time that week.

I've been flying full time (as in, for a paycheck) since 2007. Done everything from instructing, charter, corporate, and the regionals. There are times it gets old, but overall I still really enjoy it. Those that say it gets easy and boring just aren't pursuing new challenges and learning opportunities. They'd probably be grumpy regardless of what they do for a living.

I think just being treated better would go a long way towards making it a better job. And I see all of you saying "Look at the UPS Capt complaining". I got one of the best gigs in the biz, and yet, am looking forward to not having to do it anymore. The drudgery of being a widget that is seen as an unfortunate necessity by the big corporation to move the jet from A to B is what gets to you after a while.

I think just being treated better would go a long way towards making it a better job. And I see all of you saying "Look at the UPS Capt complaining". I got one of the best gigs in the biz, and yet, am looking forward to not having to do it anymore. The drudgery of being a widget that is seen as an unfortunate necessity by the big corporation to move the jet from A to B is what gets to you after a while.

The drudgery part can be anywhere though. I've been in defense aerospace for a couple decades, get paid very well, but as a Program Manager I'm tired of being the "dartboard" for the customer as well as the internal suppliers. I'd take a third of my pay to do something I would look forward to going to work to do each day.....even if that smile only lasted five or six years :)

I've been flying full time (as in, for a paycheck) since 2007. Done everything from instructing, charter, corporate, and the regionals. There are times it gets old, but overall I still really enjoy it. Those that say it gets easy and boring just aren't pursuing new challenges and learning opportunities. They'd probably be grumpy regardless of what they do for a living.
I noticed a lot of people on this forum are making it to regionals without a college degree in Professional Flight, but instead other majors. Are they simply just going to an ATP school and getting the 1500 hours?

I noticed a lot of people on this forum are making it to regionals without a college degree in Professional Flight, but instead other majors. Are they simply just going to an ATP school and getting the 1500 hours?
I went to Billy Bob's Flight School, Bait Shop and Taxidermy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I thought I would never get tired of flying for a job, but when I started instructing it started to get old at times, especially during the career change transition. Like others doing the same, you have to work a day job, and flight instruct on the days off. When I went from weekend CFI to 5 days a week CFI, 2 days a week desk zombie, I got a little more enjoyment out of it because I got to do it more, but it was still a job, and long days instructing were a lot harder than long days at the office, yet more fulfilling.

The key to not get tired of anything is to take some time away from it. I never enjoyed not having a weekend, or at least a couple days off (when it wasn't raining) to do what I wanted and not be working towards something else. As I just got hired into a 8 on 6 off schedule for a fractional though, we'll see how that goes. Its weird already not studying for a written test, or rating!

Its a job that a) pays the bills and B) doesnt make me want to off myself very often. Morbid but reality. I enjoy it most times, and I'm on the 135 side, have been for years now.

If you're worried about it 'getting old' try finding a job that will keep you versatile. I fly, recruit, teach ground, hire/fire, train staff, etc. For my A-type personality it works well. Generally, the small the company the more versatile you'll need to be.

Back