Flight training marketing / business trends

Well to keep cost down we dont buy new glass airplanes like many 141 places do because frankly theres no reason to. We train on 150 and 152 trainers. They are all mechinically sound but they are trainers. And when trainers fly as much as ours are flown there will be squaks occasionally. If you looking for a cross country plane all our 172's are very well equiped IFR platforms. We have one WAAS capable 172. Both of are 182RGs are autopilot equiped and one has radar on it. Other than that I wouldn't say the airplanes are any worse off than many other flight schools. If you want to fly glass dont come here. But if you want to get the same certificate as the guy flying glass for half the cost them come here. It all depends what your looking for. Here you learn to fly the typical six pack of instruments.

Just curious since the buzz around NE Ohio is that Skypark aircraft were not maintained well, hence the placards and lower prices. It is just hearsay like I said and I have only seen one of your C-182's which I am told is one of the better aircraft.

I myself have an Arrow I can fly and probably a DA40XL if I asked.

Well I have only been involved with two flight schools and Skypark had the better maintenance of the two. Just to give you a idea. We have 3 full time A&Ps and two of them are IAs. They strictly work on the large fleet of airplanes that is owned by the flight school. All of our avionics are cared for by Gary who owns Quality Avionics up at Grove City, PA. We keep the Cessna 140 taildragger in its own hangar to keep the fabric in top condition. Cosmetically the 150/152's are probably a 6 out of 10. Mostly just because they are only used for training so looks its a big deal. Mechanically they are sound. The 172's I would say are a 8 out 10 with one being a 9 out 10. They are used mostly for long cross countries. They are also used for instrument students but we have more private students then instrument students by far. Both 182RGs are kept in pretty good condition. They both are covered when not flying to prevent sun damage to the insides and they both fly great. The three blade prop 182RG is the one used for commercial training. Our other 182RG only has a two blade prop but it is decked out for long distance cross countries. That one is the owners baby. He takes it on all his trips so it is kept in very nice condition. The only airplane I don't get in is the twin. We used to have a Seminole that was amazing but it was run off the runway. So now we have a Apache that is so so. It doesn't get flown enough to work out all the kinks. That's why almost everyone just goes to Tom Brady at Traverse City because it only cost 1700 to do your multi add on with him.

Few years ago a student pilot panicked during the takeoff roll. Right about rotate speed they locked the brakes and only pulled either the throttle or prop back I forget which but left the other at max. Needless to say airplane went off runway, over the road, into a ditch. At a regular airport this probably wouldn't of happened but we take pride in our short 2400 strip:nana2:

Few years ago a student pilot panicked during the takeoff roll. Right about rotate speed they locked the brakes and only pulled either the throttle or prop back I forget which but left the other at max. Needless to say airplane went off runway, over the road, into a ditch. At a regular airport this probably wouldn't of happened but we take pride in our short 2400 strip:nana2:

Don't forget about the 3000 Ft DA that day as well. I remember it well for some reason.

3000 FT DA isnt all to uncommon as you should know on a hot day in summer in NE Ohio. Even the Apache we have now it can be hairy if loaded to the max. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger:buck: On a more serious note twin training on a short strip maybe isnt the best idea. Not alot of room for error on takeoffs or landings. But in the singles its no big deal. Still cracks me up to find out that our airport is banned by all the 141 schools in the area saying the field is too short for their 172's:panic: . We even had a DE in the past request a student meet her at another airport because she didn't feel comfortable. But I will admitt I do enjoy flying into Ashlands 3500 strip much better in the cherokee at night. Night landings are skypark are interesting at first because the runway lights are so far off the runway it makes the runway look really short and fat haha:banghead:

I guess I shouldn't say that the short runway isn't a problem in the singles because we did have a private pilot run a 172 off the end of the runway and flip over the guard rail this summer for those who saw it on TV:banghead:

3000 FT DA isnt all to uncommon as you should know on a hot day in summer in NE Ohio. Even the Apache we have now it can be hairy if loaded to the max. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger:buck: On a more serious note twin training on a short strip maybe isnt the best idea. Not alot of room for error on takeoffs or landings. But in the singles its no big deal. Still cracks me up to find out that our airport is banned by all the 141 schools in the area saying the field is too short for their 172's:panic: . We even had a DE in the past request a student meet her at another airport because she didn't feel comfortable. But I will admitt I do enjoy flying into Ashlands 3500 strip much better in the cherokee at night. Night landings are skypark are interesting at first because the runway lights are so far off the runway it makes the runway look really short and fat haha:banghead:

We aren't banned from landing on a short runway. Renters are, but only because of experience with that. If they get proper training with an instructor for the shorter field before their flight, they can get the restriction waved for short fields.

I was just going off hearsay. We have a few Kent Stare aviation students who come and fly at Skypark in summer and they mentioned that in their ops manual that Skypark was a banned field. I welcome you all with open arms. I think Skypark gets a unfair reputation because people see the rates and just automatically assume that we must have poor airplanes because they are so cheap. But I look at it the other way around. I think you just pay way too much. I mean at the airport by my house (Lorain County Regional) they charge 120 bucks a hour for their 172. Thats almost twice what we charge. To me that just seems ridiculous. Just my two cents though. In the end no matter where you train it still leads to the same certificates. You up to fly and meet for lunch one day? Always looking for a reason to go through the hassle of warming up the Cherokee in this weather:cwm27:

You guy really do have some cheap rates, but the rates that we charge, i.e. C-172 for 120/hour do not reflect a huge profit margins. I assume that you guys just have a better set up somehow.

Well Dan (Owner) built the airport himself. I mean literally borrowed paving equipment from the city and paved the first runway himself. Now that was decades ago. Since then though he has built up the airport to what it is today. We have estimating around 60-80 hangar units that all are filled that bring in income. The airport is also home to an air park which I imagine each of those lots brought in a lot of money for Dan. I think the biggest thing probably is that all 18 aircraft are fully paid for and have been for years. I mean when you consider the fact that he has no plane loans, pays wholesale for gas, has income from hangar units, has income from the air park(think of all that money invested over the past 30 years earning interest), and really runs a lean operation the low rates make sense. I know personally he is worth quite a substantial amount of money so it must work out for him. If you saw his personal movie theater you would agree. Unfortunately I dont think it is really possible to copy this type of operation though. Unless you started from scratch as he did building your own airport and growing slowly but steadily over decades. The thing that probably forces higher cost at other flight school i would imagine is the cost of renting the FBO, renting the tie-downs, paying for maintenance to be done at the hourly rate etc that at skypark doesn't have to deal with. Even though Medina County Airport has 172's for 90 bucks, a A-36 for 110 and a Cub for 60. That's the closest in price to skypark I have found in this area. You could even do your commercial in the A-36 which is cheaper than using one of Skyparks C-182RGs.

I can't speak for Skypark because I've never personally seen their operation, but I will say this: Whenever I see abnormally low rates, I have to assume a corner is getting cut *somewhere*. The only reason I say this is because I've seen the principle applied over and over again with many different operators in various regions of the country.

Mechanics can save a LOT of money by passing/deferring marginally airworthy items. People outside of the maintenance world act like maintenance items are always black and white, airworthy or unairworthy. Real life doesn't work that way.

It's like going to the doctor and asking how to treat a certain condition. Some doctors will say take medicine, some will want to perform surgery, some will tell the patient to just live with it, etc. It's a judgement call. Same with mechanics. Some will want to buy a new part, some will try to fabricate their own, some will just defer the problem to the next annual, some will lubricate it and see how it flies, etc.

And just how some doctors might draw lines differently from other doctors on how to treat a problem, same for mechanics. One mechanic might declare something unairthworthy, while the next guy would pass it, or vice versa. It seems as though a lot of the places with lower rates find ways to pass/defer more items than the operators with higher rates.

I could have my plane annualled by a guy who brings a toolbox out to my hangar, pokes around for a few hours, and signs off the plane for another year. Or I could take it to a professional, experienced shop that goes over it for two days with a fine-toothed comb and lets me know about every crack, dent, and wiggle. Both will end with my plane having a "fresh annual" in the logbooks, yet the prices will be considerably different. Some might say the one shop is being too nit-picky.

Personally, as a pilot, and not a mechanic myself, I don't feel qualified to determine what "too nit-picky" means, so I play it safe and take the most conservative route. As long as the mechanic can provide a reasonable explanation for why the squawk matters, I'm more than willing to fix it. I pay more, but I also have the peace of mind that my wings won't fold up and allow me to spiral to my death in heavy turbulence, either.

The same can be said for a lot of other things. Take insurance policies, for example. After an accident is a lousy time to find out a plane either wasn't adequately insured, or wasn't insured at all in order to save a few bucks.

Or instructors can be used as another example. If you find one who for one reason or another doesn't care what he gets paid, great, but honestly, if instructors aren't paid well, is the place really attracting top notch, cream of the crop talent? And if that's the case, are you ok with learning from a second-rate instructor?

So I'm not saying low rates are inherently bad, and I'm not saying higher rates inherently guarantee quality. What I'm saying is, I think it's ridiculous when people compare multiple operations and somehow think they're getting the exact same thing for less money at one place over another. No, there definitely *are* differences. Something is getting changed somewhere along the line.

Now, will the things that changed ultimately matter to the customer? Only the customer can decide.

JRH a few questions for you. Do you pay your instructors or do they work as private contractors that have to be approved by the school? Do you require your students to carry non owned insurance or do you simply cover all the planes under your own insurance and add that into the per cost hour? Do you have your own mechanics that have a salary or do you pay the local mechanic a hourly rate for each job?

At skypark all instructors are private contractors but they must be *hired* by the school. Basically that Dans way of keeping employee cost down. No social security to pay, benefits etc. The students have to pay the instructors directly. But you still must be *hired* or you are not allowed to teach at the airport. I've actually been told this is illegal by a lawyer but we won't get into that here.

Skypark does have a insurance policy on their airplanes but to keep cost down from what I understand it is the bare minimum. To compensate for this he requires all renters to carry their own non owned insurance and he has set hull values for each type of airplane. In the past people told me this had loopholes and maybe it does but we lost two airplanes this year due to pilot error crashes and both were replaced by the pilots insurance in a matter of weeks without any cost to the flight school so if there is loopholes we got lucky this time around. From a business standpoint I would imagine this would be less costly though because if you insure your own airplanes and just add that to the hourly rate, if your planes dont fly the number of hours that you estimated to cover the insurance then you loose money that way.

Skypark has one A&P/IA that is on salary and two or three contractors who come to do specialty work when needed. I'm not sure but I would believe this would cut cost down when compared to having to pay the hourly rate to a local mechanic for every job.

Again just my two cents from a business standpoint. But you also do have to take into account the large profits he makes off the hangars and the properties in the air park. I doubt many other flight schools own hangars or air parks or both for that matter. That extra income can be a the difference here. Maybe more flight school should look into investing in hangar units and renting them out themselves? Would be interesting to hear back from other flight schools to see what they think.

JRH a few questions for you. Do you pay your instructors or do they work as private contractors that have to be approved by the school? Do you require your students to carry non owned insurance or do you simply cover all the planes under your own insurance and add that into the per cost hour? Do you have your own mechanics that have a salary or do you pay the local mechanic a hourly rate for each job?

Instructors are full time employees.
Students are encouraged to carry renters insurance after they are licensed, but they are not required to. Our insurance covers all of our operations.
A local maintenance shop does all of our maintenance work at a slightly discounted rate.

At skypark all instructors are private contractors but they must be *hired* by the school. Basically that Dans way of keeping employee cost down. No social security to pay, benefits etc. The students have to pay the instructors directly. But you still must be *hired* or you are not allowed to teach at the airport. I've actually been told this is illegal by a lawyer but we won't get into that here.

That's fine, but it also supports my point that going the cheaper way may or may not be better, but it's definitely different. This sounds like a situation where the whole deal is somewhat less stable than a flight school with centralized control over employees. Who knows if it's worth it or not, but a customer should know the difference.

Skypark does have a insurance policy on their airplanes but to keep cost down from what I understand it is the bare minimum. To compensate for this he requires all renters to carry their own non owned insurance and he has set hull values for each type of airplane. In the past people told me this had loopholes and maybe it does but we lost two airplanes this year due to pilot error crashes and both were replaced by the pilots insurance in a matter of weeks without any cost to the flight school so if there is loopholes we got lucky this time around. From a business standpoint I would imagine this would be less costly though because if you insure your own airplanes and just add that to the hourly rate, if your planes dont fly the number of hours that you estimated to cover the insurance then you loose money that way.

Again, that's all fine, as long as a person understands what they're agreeing to. Training with this type of arrangement is fine, but if something happens and the insurance company doesn't want to pay, that's part of the deal. I just don't want somebody thinking that they're somehow outsmarting the system, or getting a steal of a deal, or whatever, by using this setup versus another. The fact is, there are tradeoffs. As long as the customer accepts the tradeoffs, great!

Skypark has one A&P/IA that is on salary and two or three contractors who come to do specialty work when needed. I'm not sure but I would believe this would cut cost down when compared to having to pay the hourly rate to a local mechanic for every job.

Having salaried mechanics on a large fleet makes a lot of sense, I'll give you that.

However, my original points about various maintenance "philosophies" still stands. Some mechanics will let more things slide than other mechanics in the name of saving a buck. Although labor is a significant overhead, parts can't be ignored. Aviation parts are amazingly expensive. A new exhaust pipe? On a car, maybe $50. On a plane, could be $600. I've seen individual bolts that are worth maybe $5 in a hardware store go for $75 on a plane. That's why some mechanics will be more hesitant to squawk a problem than others, because almost all parts are expensive.

Whether a philosophy of deferring repairs is a good thing or not is debateable and depends on a person's perspective. Also, I'm not saying the mechanics at Skypark have a certain attitude because I don't know them. I just know the types of things that go on at a lot of airports across the country.

I'm only trying to keep people informed about their options and what the possibilities are, that's all! If a person looks at the overall package and decides to go for it, by all means, I want them to be happy. But it's important to know that not all things are created equal, and getting a private license for $4000 at one school is not going to be the same experience as getting one for $9000 at another school. Sure, the license has the same privileges at the end of the day, but there are very different (good, bad, and otherwise) paths to get there.

I agree with you JRH. One thing I would like to implement at Skypark is a standardized training syllabus. Right now its kinda hit or miss. Everyone teaches to PTS standards but there are obvious differences in instruction. One instructor makes all his students learn how to recover from spins while we have other instructors who never show there students real spins. I still think spins should be put back on the PTS for the private like they were before. Talking about how to recover from one and doing it is two totally different things. So yes I agree that there will be differences between schools some good and some bad. I thank you for your input as always. I believe the best way for the GA industry to grow is combined efforts and it is stuff like this that helps us learn what else we could be doing. I hope you would be joining me on my new thread in general topics about adding spins back onto the PTS for private.

Back