Flight training in the usa, rfc or ari ben?

abirpatel

Flight training in the usa, rfc,ari ben or something better?

hey fellow bloggers,
my name is abir patel from india. im sure u guys are fed up of these indian enquiry blogs. just one more..
i wish to persue my ppl-cpl-ir over in the usa and have been convinced by what both RIVERSIDE FLIGHT CENTER,TULSA,OK AND AVIATOR INC A.K.A ARI BEN, FL have to offer
just that i need an expert advice as to which one to pick and the criteria are

1) cost efficiancy
2) sufficient airport exposure
3) hours (since with the ongoing job slump as of now, only the ones with the hours i.e the experianced are entertained)
4) reputation of the school
5) recognation of the school, also an edge when it comes to employment
6) Good past record when it comes to teaching, accidents etc
7) facilities( obviously)

id be obliged if someone could enlighten me in this regard

REGARDS,
A M P

hello and welcome to the message board.

I am an Indian national too, working and residing in USA for the last 5 years. I am about to start my flight training too and have looked at many schools.

RFC was on the list for me too, when I started looking about a year ago. But after talking to students and meeting many students (mostly Indian) they are not too happy with RFC. The school is over crowded and the students are not getting the hours. Many of the students were not too happy.

Ari Ben is one that I have not looked at and am not sure about the quality of instruction there. You could try searching the message board and am sure you will find something.

Good luck in your search and please feel to ask any more questions that you might have!

Cheers

hey,
thanks for the response,
could you then advise me about what exactly i should be looking at keeping in mind my above listed requirments, and schools that have interested you

regards,
a m p

If you go to RFC expect to be treated like dirt. The owner and assistant I've seen go from calm to really mad in less than 1 sec, they will suck every penny out of you. The weather and the stage checks don't make it fun either. So cross of RFC off your list and move on.

The owner and assistant I've seen go from calm to really mad in less than 1 sec, they will suck every penny out of you.

what is the name of the assistant? you can PM me. owner is the guy from england though i guess?

Abir:

I sent u a PM. there are a few good schools that i have checked out - feel free to contact me for more details. As the other guy said - stay away from RFC, its a better decision in the long run. Make sure that you ask schools about the fuel surcharges and other hidden costs. Also some places do time share, or safety pilot hours - make sure that you look in to all of that. Above all, make sure you train on the right kind of aircraft - else the DGCA will make more problems than u can imagine!

cheers

Sunny

could u guys then please suggest something more trustworthy, coz they seem very convincing when it comes 2 fees, training, etc etc...
they also have a decent fleet of aircrafts, instructors and are (apprently) churning out gud pilots every year.
my priorities lie upthere in my initial post, you could addon something more i need to consider, before selecting

thanks,
a m p

Re: Flight training in the usa, rfc,ari ben or something bet

1) cost efficiency

You need to make sure you find a good balance between cost and maintance...I have been on both sides but you need to find a middle ground.

2) sufficient airport exposure

Doesn't matter if you train at KORD or a Bo-Dunk Grass Strip if you receive the proper training it should not matter were you fly out of because you can expect to land multiple times at vise versa no matter which one you fly out of.

3) hours

Read segment above about cost.

4) reputation of the school

Its flight training...it is a pretty shady industry on many different levels. Every school has its good and bad. Make sure the goods outweighs the bad though.

5) recognation of the school, also an edge when it comes to employment

Unless its different out of the country which I doubt it is...it does not matter where you train. A CMEL is a CMEL no matter where you get it. Don't let any flight school tell you different.

6) Good past record when it comes to teaching, accidents etc

I would definitely look up the aircraft N numbers online to see the past battle scars of the airplane.

7) facilities( obviously)

I wouldn't worry about facilities...just more overhead...means more cost.

I do not know any of the other rules if it has to be part 141 or such but let me know if I can help you find your flight school.

great post!

have you heard of J S Eagle in Valparaiso, IN?

Any idea about it?

I think in the OP's case.. part 141 should be the one - as they are ones who can issue an M1 (international student) visa. am not sure about the requirements of the Indian government.. or whether they just go by the hours

any recommendations?

could u guys then please suggest something more trustworthy, coz they seem very convincing when it comes 2 fees, training, etc etc...
they also have a decent fleet of aircrafts, instructors and are (apprently) churning out gud pilots every year.
my priorities lie upthere in my initial post, you could addon something more i need to consider, before selecting

thanks,
a m p

Consider coming to Texas. . . or California. Houston has some great schools as well in addition to suitable weather.

I have never heard of it so I don't know one way or another...do you guys need a part 141 school or is a part 61 fbo ok?

1)whats the difference between a 141 and a part 61 fbo?, is it the approach to training., government guidelines?

2)considering the fact that im an international student, ill need the
organisation to issue me an 1-20 and in some way help me with the m-1, which i guess as sunny pionted out, only a 141 school is in a position of doing

1)whats the difference between a 141 and a part 61 fbo?, is it the approach to training., government guidelines?

2)considering the fact that im an international student, ill need the
organisation to issue me an 1-20 and in some way help me with the m-1, which i guess as sunny pionted out, only a 141 school is in a position of doing

141 schools have an FAA approved curriculum and have lower time requirements.

61 Uses their own curriculum and fall under the time guidelines list in the FAR

FBO's and Large Training Academies can use both, and many do. Its just depends on how many hoops they want to jump through.

141 schools have an FAA approved curriculum and have lower time requirements.

61 Uses their own curriculum and fall under the time guidelines list in the FAR

FBO's and Large Training Academies can use both, and many do. Its just depends on how many hoops they want to jump through.

hey,
ty for the response,
could you or anyone else list out the benefits of both ?
thier pros and cons could be vital, if i need 2 select a school

You need to find if the DGCA requires you to have trained 141 or 61, though I am fairly certain that they don't care. In fact I vaguely remember reading that they require 250hrs for the commercial, which would rule part 141 out.

The majority of part 141 schools will train you under part 61 if you so wish. Part 141 requires fewer hours so, potentially, you could be finished quicker, though far more of those hours need to be dual, so your cost will probably be higher.

which one should be preferred, keeping in mind that im not into any fast track programme, and wanna learn flying primarily and then look for a job (which requires plentiful experiance), which i wish to gain post my training .
also hw could i gain experiance to bloster my job opportunities in the near future ?

amp

Back