Flight Training/Career Mentor

mngtsystem

I am at the beginning of the journey to train for a career in aviation as a professional pilot. I am a "career changer" if you will and I would like to connect with someone who has made the change in their 30's and done the training while continuing to work part-time. I am looking for someone to share ideas and experiences with concerning progress of training and all aspects of the field.

Thank you.

Not sure if I fit the bill, but i'm 34 for a few more months, and decided to pursue the dream 2 years ago after I got my private. flying on the weekends and being behind a desk all day just wasn't for me anymore. I dreamed of flying since I was a toddler, and the PPL only showed me that my aviation journey had just begun.

Bare with me here - I have an important point that's relevant to you...

I was about to go to a 141 school in early 2009 but the recession was just getting started meaning that jobs were slim to none and loans were outrageous (my quote for $35k would have cost $87k when all was said and done with interest, even with a co-signer.) So I went the part 61 route - no debt, but riddled with confidence issues due to infrequent training, an instrument bust and now a CFI FOI written failure. My point - the biggest problem with part 61 is that during my training I'm also working a full time job as a web developer. Very stressful and time consuming considering I'm also trying to achieve the hardest rating (CFI). It hurts your confidence too to move so slowly and not be able to devote all the time you want to your goal.

So take this into account. Part 61 = no debt, stressful, and slow as hell. pt.141 = terribly expensive, but you get to concentrate on the one and only thing you're after.

Final point which I didn't even touch on because it's a no-brainer; don't decide if you're going to do it, decide how you're going to do it.

Best of luck!! - PM me with any specific questions (you're in NE? I'm out of KBED near boston)

I'm no career changer but I can share some ideas.
1. accept the fact that your training will cost at least 40+ grand(interest not included if taking out a loan). Multi time which is needed will also increase cost.
2. accept the fact that when you complete your training you will make around $20/hr if you get a job as a cfi. Hours might be hard to come by depending on location.
3. Expect the duration/cost of your training to vary due to various factors such as progress/life events. Getting frustrated is normal.
4. Being self-motivated is a requirement. Start reading all the faa publications, studying for the written, playing around with flight sim, listening to atc feeds...
5. find a flight school that is convenient for you and has reasonable rates. 61 or 141 doesn't make a big difference. Instructors are more or less the same. You won't find "magicians" at a 141 school or academy. Also, purchasing a share in a plane might be more beneficial.

Do a search for me under falcon aviation academy part of this forum. You will find a very documented My Journey there. All my historical threads may provide some kind of wisdom for sure.

The quick.
Quit my six figure job in Texas at 34 to pursue my flying dream. Went to Falcon Aviation Academy near Atlanta full time and did some side consulting work a few hours a week. A year later I worked as a CFI back in San Antonio for 25 bucks an hour contract. A year after that i now work as a CFI at TransPac in Phoenix which i consider the most stable cfi gig in the country. Been here almost a year. I just turned 38 and will soon be leaving for my next step as a cargo pilot with AirNet as I have conditional offer in hand. So cold northern weather here I come.

The good. Being a pilot rocks. It was my dream and still is. I now live my dream.

The bad. I am nearly bankrupt and have to be nomadic to build this new career.

The good outweighs the bad. My worst day flying is better than my best day in sales.

Pursue your dreams. A dream never pursued is a broken dream. And if your dream becomes a nightmare, you can always go back to where you came from.

I worked full time while doing all the ratings over the weekend. It took me a little over 3 years (age 28 to 31) from private to CFI and I am now working full time as a CFI (previously worked in a well paid job in financial services in Boston). One of my goals was not to get bogged down in debt, and as much as I hated my job it payed for all my training so even though I am making peanuts right now I don't have loans to repay.

Anyway, I did all my ratings part 61 (well my private was 141) and I was lucky to have 3 good instructors through all my ratings. I learned a lot from all of them. An instructor will guide you through the process but ultimately it is up to you how much work you put in when you are not flying. I am currently instructing in the north east so if you have any questions regarding flight schools etc in the area I will be happy to help, feel free to PM me. I also have a few students who are seeking to change careers.

I feel like I would be remiss to not post here. My dream from kid-dom (and still today) is to work as a pilot. I got my private at 17, and got an NROTC scholarship, was selected for a pilot slot in the Navy got pretty close to completing primary training there, and got taken off the flight schedule for medical reasons, and I never got back on the flight schedule. I thought that my aviation career was over, and went with plan B. Plan B lasted about 15 years, and I just went with it. Been pretty successful in the corporate world. I started jumping through the hurdles to get my medical back with the FAA. Got it and started flying "for fun" again. Someone very close to me got very sick, and it was a wake up call. I didn't want to live another day not doing something that I loved doing, so got after the training in earnest (while working full time, and largely taking care of sick wife). About done with my CMEL now, and not looking back. 141 or 61, taking a loan or not, - I can't tell you how to do it. Asking around will help you get information that you need to make the decision that is right for you. Realize some of the details mentioned above, will make it a bit of a long road to earn a "good living" doing it. Feel free to pm with more questions, or to laugh at me directly. If you need any more convincing, read The Myth of Sisyphus, and then decide what you want to do with your life.

Not sure if I fit the bill, but i'm 34 for a few more months, and decided to pursue the dream 2 years ago after I got my private. flying on the weekends and being behind a desk all day just wasn't for me anymore. I dreamed of flying since I was a toddler, and the PPL only showed me that my aviation journey had just begun.

Bare with me here - I have an important point that's relevant to you...

I was about to go to a 141 school in early 2009 but the recession was just getting started meaning that jobs were slim to none and loans were outrageous (my quote for $35k would have cost $87k when all was said and done with interest, even with a co-signer.) So I went the part 61 route - no debt, but riddled with confidence issues due to infrequent training, an instrument bust and now a CFI FOI written failure. My point - the biggest problem with part 61 is that during my training I'm also working a full time job as a web developer. Very stressful and time consuming considering I'm also trying to achieve the hardest rating (CFI). It hurts your confidence too to move so slowly and not be able to devote all the time you want to your goal.

So take this into account. Part 61 = no debt, stressful, and slow as hell. pt.141 = terribly expensive, but you get to concentrate on the one and only thing you're after.

Final point which I didn't even touch on because it's a no-brainer; don't decide if you're going to do it, decide how you're going to do it.

Best of luck!! - PM me with any specific questions (you're in NE? I'm out of KBED near boston)

Sounddocs great information. I myself although not exactly 30 I have made that same decision and I managed to save up the money to take the part 61 route and so far it's working out great.

As for the TS, your moving in the right direction much like sounddocs said its not whether your going to do it its how your going to do it. Here on JC I have met some great people who have given me invaluable advice you have joined a great community Doug has a great thing going here and its a one stop shop for information for the most part. If you need anything just let me know I'm actually in Florida.

Ed.

Back