Flight Instructor jobs in Bay Area, or in Austin, TX area?

Yes I fly a 172 out of AUS and always fill up before heading in. EDC is where a friend of mine flies HIS CE-750. I have two other buddies who fly out of there (EDC) one for planesmart and the other for Tower Aviation.

Yes I fly a 172 out of AUS and always fill up before heading in. EDC is where a friend of mine flies HIS CE-750. I have two other buddies who fly out of there (EDC) one for planesmart and the other for Tower Aviation.

Haven't been in a while, but Burnet (KBMQ?) had the cheapest gas around as I recall.

I had just moved to AUS in '08 when our own mhcasey checked me out in a 152 Sparrowhawk down there on the short, narrow asphalt strip with the tree at the south end. The plane's owner encouraged us to buy gas somewhere, ANYWHERE other than AUS.

The glory days!

I taught at Bergstrom for about a year and a half. Austin is not at all the place to be starting out. As far as an aviation community goes it is pretty nonexistent. If you look outside of Austin proper like Georgetown or the newer executive that might be a better place to start. Bergstrom had a mass exodus when executive opened up. However, there are schools there if that's what you need. I would try Georgetown first.

I taught at Attitude Aviation out at LVK. Always worth checking them out but they aren't your typical flight school.

A little update, I have about 455 TT, 55 ME, 50+ Tailwheel (over half is dual given), 76 XC, 170 Dual Given. Still looking for a job. I've emailed the owner of Ahart. He just went on a two week vacation the day after I arrived in San Jose. So, I'm trying to send emails out to schools and I might drive around and visit some. Any suggestions, tips, or anything like that would be greatly appreciated.

If you're willing to go up the road a bit, try the places in PAO. Pay starts at around $50/hour and with the economy showing signs of not sucking, will probably see an uptick in Silicon Valley types wanting to learn to fly.

Might want to take a look at Aerodynamic Aviation out of KRHV. They have a large tailwheel fleet, lots of students and had some instructors leave recently.

Thanks for all the suggestions right now guys. This really helps out a lot. Right now all options are on the table. Tomorrow I think I'm going to visit a few airports and meet some people.

I'm based at EDC. Great airport and a legit short strip there. There are hardly any instructors willing to freelance in the Austin area. An instructor could find plenty of students without teaching at a flight school.

Are you still looking for a postion. I am looking for a pilot for photo missions. Approx 80-100 hours per month. I just posted a job listing. Pilot/Aerial Photography at findapilot.com and indeed.com and on this website.

Last edited:
Are you still looking for a postion. I am looking for a pilot for photo missions. Approx 80-100 hours per month. I just posted a job listing. Pilot/Aerial Photography at findapilot.com and indeed.com and on this website.

I actually saw your other post before I noticed you responded to this one. I'm still looking for a job. Resume sent.

Back