Flight Following Question

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
When receiving VFR flight following, do I need to advise ATC if I intend to climb or descend to a different altitude? If not, does ATC prefer that you let them know of any such changes?

"do I need to advise ATC if I intend to climb or descend to a different altitude?"

Yes, and it's bad form to leave their frequency and "self terminate" flight following without telling them.

"do I need to advise ATC if I intend to climb or descend to a different altitude?"

Yes, and it's bad form to leave their frequency and "self terminate" flight following without telling them.

Thanks - yeah, I never leave without telling them. So if I need to tell them, am I requesting permission to deviate from my altitude or do I just need to tell them?

So if I need to tell them, am I requesting permission to deviate from my altitude or do I just need to tell them?

I usually base that on whether or not I was requested to maintain an altitude or not.

Scenario 1: TRACON: "Barnburner 233, radar contact, maintain VFR at 6,500"

In this scenario, I'd ask Nashville for a different altitude when the bumps were spilling my Venti White Mocha.

Scenario 2: TRACON: "Barnburner 233, radar contact, proceed on course, altitude is at your discretion" OR "Maintain VFR at 4,500 or greater".

In either of these two cases, I'd just let ATC know that I was changing altitudes, and they'll tell me if they need me to stay.

Whenever I change altitudes, I'll usually say something like "Socal Cessna XXX VFR climb 5,500" This is a courtesy that lets ATC know what I'm doing and where I'm going so they can plan ahead. In addition, something I find helpfull is if ATC advises you of traffic, that keeps on getting closer to you, but you can't see it, then I'll "request vectors for traffic" just to be a bit safer.

There is a difference between dealing with a class B or C clearance while VFR and flight following. You can't deviate if you're given a clearence without asking first. Flight following isn't so much a clearance as them just watching out for you, be it in the terminal or enroute enviornment. You're not really violating anything by changing your altitude or route with flight following but it's bad form unless you tell them first. If you piss them off or act too amateurish, they might terminate you.

Scenario 1: TRACON: "Barnburner 233, radar contact, maintain VFR at 6,500"

Technically, this is incorrect. You cannot assign a hard altitude to a VFR aircraft. It may make them unable to maintain clearance from things such as clouds.......or mountains.

Yes, advise them of changes and PLEASE don't leave freq without telling anyone.

I have to disagree with daveatc...

Hard altitudes are routinely assigned to VFR aircraft in Class B and Class C airspace, as are headings and, sometimes, routes. The altitude assignments must meet the MVA, MSA and minimum IFR altitude criteria. That, in theory anyway, takes care of running into mountains. VFR pilots are expected to advise ATC if any clearance, instruction, altitude, route or heading assignment will prevent them from complying with the applicable CFR. So cloud clearance responsibility remains with the pilot.

I have to disagree with daveatc...

Hard altitudes are routinely assigned to VFR aircraft in Class B and Class C airspace, as are headings and, sometimes, routes. The altitude assignments must meet the MVA, MSA and minimum IFR altitude criteria. That, in theory anyway, takes care of running into mountains. VFR pilots are expected to advise ATC if any clearance, instruction, altitude, route or heading assignment will prevent them from complying with the applicable CFR. So cloud clearance responsibility remains with the pilot.

Must be more procedural. We always did "At or above....." "At or below...." etc, etc to give them the latitude to adjust.

Back